Grossman, 7-10 Days, Briere, indefinite

Guest trevluk

This **** has to stop and the league better do something about it. That was a national game and everyone sees all that the Pens get away with. It's embarassing to the league and the sport.

not really. they just saw the pengiuns kicking the flyers' asses, though losing the game. had people coming up to me at work yesterday, saying they'd just seen the video of that scrum and wanted to know why each of the pengiuns were able to put each of the flyers down.

it isn't embarrasing the league, just embarrasing the flyers. which was the point. here we are, won the game, unbeaten in the pen's new arena...but the entire conversation is about how we got it handed to us and how uncool that is and the league has to step in and make it stop.

well...not "the entire" conversation. A lot of it is turning to Crosby and his penchant for diving, whining and generally being unlikeable. Some of it too is on Blysma for sending out the goons at the end, to go against Simmonds, Briere and Schenn.

Some of it too is on Blysma for sending out the goons at the end, to go against Simmonds, Briere and Schenn.

i don't know. i mean, yeah, crosby with the whining. except he didn't really whine this time. and sending out tough guys at the end of a lopsided game to send a message for the rematch a week later? that's kinda what you do, isn't it? and of the 3 flyers on that line, briere is the only little guy. simmonds has over 100 PIMs, schenn throws his weight around out there, and besides, involved himself with the crosscheck to crosby's back way after the whistle. briere was the only mismatch from that line

and besides, what happened? a clean and frankly impressive open ice hit on a center carrying the puck through neutral. that's good hockey, no? so what it was a pen's 4th liner that did it? from that, the flyers decided to get upset and in people's faces, which is when briere's presense and simmonds' too-banged-up-for-a-real-fight status became an issue. yeah, bylsma put his bottom-of-the-roster players on the ice, but it was the flyers that decided to engage in a scrum with bad matchups. it isn't like the pengiuns jumped everyone off the faceoff, the flyers initiated.

and what did laviolette want the penguins to do? put crosby on the ice in a closing moments of a game that was out of reach against a heated rival, with a rematch a week away and a likely playoff series immediately after that? it makes perfect sense to put some grinders out there. my problem, honestly, was putting tiny little danny on the ice in that situation, and simmonds with his eye swollen shut. the score is 6-3, there are 90 seconds left...why put your most defensively irresponsible player on the ice in breire? this is traditionally the moment when the losing team is going to want to get *something* positive out of the game via some last minute pushing and shoving, and scoring more goals isn't needed. you just scored an empty net goal to put the game away. this is the exact moment i want rinaldo, talbot and couturier out there.

i don't know. seems to me like this is a ton of ado about nothing; if anything the flyers created the situation. i got a kick out of laviolette losing his mind, but if i really think about it, it was stupid. the penguins didn't do anything wrong, they ended a blowout with a character line, and then the flyers decided to get all pissed about a clean open ice hit while a non-combat line was on the ice.

plus, milbury is on our side. :(

The Penguins came out ahead in this deal - Grossman is out, one of our top defensemen, and Briere is out, who usually turns it on in the playoffs. His line with Simmonds and Schenn has something like 19 points in the last 5 games - going by memory from something I read, so my numbers might be off. But the point is his line has been really good lately - now it's a broken line.

The Penguins knew exactly who to target on defense and offense to damage the team and they executed their plan well. We're going to feel the loss of those two guys. If Bryz plays the way he did in March, that'll help. But we need to even the odds a bit. Send a message, and take out Crosby. Then suffer the wrath of Buttman. So be it.

The Penguins came out ahead in this deal - Grossman is out, one of our top defensemen, and Briere is out...

Both should be back for the playoffs. Let them have some rest. No big deal really, and not worth getting anyone suspended just when the playoffs are starting.

I sort of agree with Aziz... And let's be honest: if the Flyers were doing what Bylsma did (sending goons at the end of the game to send a message), we, fans, would be high-fiving the decision. And frankly, that's what you, as a coach, do. I don't even know what Laviolette was bitching about.

The Flyers need to be prepared to stick up for themselves and be ready to play a physically tough opponent. If anything, this is one aspect that scares me in this series. They cannot afford Giroux, Jagr, and Briere being pushed around and intimidated and their teammates doing nothing to change that. This is one of the areas where this team will be missing Pronger so much. This team's lack of toughness can be a real problem. Not having hitters or just tough players (not meaning enforcers - but just "tough") will be explored by the Pens, especially in their building. I will look for Hartnell, Talbot and Simmonds to set the tone. And I hope Matt Carle doesn't go soft either. Grossmann better be ready - this is a series for him to shine.

I will look for Hartnell, Talbot and Simmonds to set the tone. And I hope Matt Carle doesn't go soft either. Grossmann better be ready - this is a series for him to shine.

coburn, too. he's had a nasty streak developing, it'd be a nice time for that to completely hatch.

coburn, too. he's had a nasty streak developing, it'd be a nice time for that to completely hatch.

We've been here before with Coburn. Maybe with Pronger out entirely he will take that next step,but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's like he needs a poke with a sharp stick to even get animated out there sometimes. He's doing a steady job back there though, so I'm ok with him.

Both should be back for the playoffs. Let them have some rest. No big deal really, and not worth getting anyone suspended just when the playoffs are starting.

I agree with that - we definitely don't want anyone suspended right before the playoffs, unless maybe it's Rinaldo.....or Shelley. And that's exactly what the League would do to us. In fact, I bet they're hoping something they get that chance. Anyone other than those two guys get suspended and we would be shooting ourselves in the foot. I hope the next few days of rest for Briere and Grossman are all they need. Then we need to let it all hang out come that playoff series.

I don't think we suffered anything except two injuries with this scrum after the game. All it does is reinforce to the Flyers that they can't let their guard down against this team. It shows me that we are in the Penguins heads.

Grossman will be back. Briere will be back. I hope that this will just be more reason for the Flyers to come out hard all game and light this rotten team of dirty scumbags up. I hope Crosby is scared and looking over his shoulder all series waiting for the career ender to come. That way he is less focused on scoring goals.

Like I said before. I'm enjoying this trend that is forming. We win. They whine. Perfect.

@aziz

well i wasn't really taking sides, just sort of pointing out what the press has been about. You, FC, a few others have written how "okay" the whole thing was, "much ado about nothing" as you said - and that's fine, but I think you're engaging in the ol' straw-man argument. No one said the hit on Briere was dirty or got upset with Blysma putting out his goons in the final minute. I don't think anyone is claiming righteous indignation about that stuff at all. Speaking for myself I just didn't like reading the statements from Crosby and his coach when they address the media and talk about how it was the Flyers' fault and how the poor Pens are so misunderstood...etc. It's just so damn phony. You want to goon it up and send a message? Fine, but own it. Or else keep your mouth shut about it. But don't pretend you and your team are hapless victims.

• Like 1

Speaking for myself I just didn't like reading the statements from Crosby and his coach when they address the media and talk about how it was the Flyers' fault and how the poor Pens are so misunderstood...etc. It's just so damn phony. You want to goon it up and send a message? Fine, but own it.

as much as i hate to defend the penguins -and i do- i don't think they didn't "own it". nor, really, do i think they gooned it up. they sent their 4th line on the ice, but like i said, they didn't just jump everyone off the faceoff. the flyers decided to start mixing it up when briere was hit cleanly, and the penguins players responded to that. as it happened, they had guys on the ice who were capable of responding while the flyers didn't.

and most of the discussion from crosby and his coach and in the media wasn't about that, anyway. it was laviolette losing his mind for reasons i can't quite get my head around. milbury talking about blysma's skirt, apparently for not meeting laviolette and duking it out in mcquirre's hidey hole.

i mean, talk about so damn phony. what did the penguins do that could possibly warrant laviolette grabbing talbot's stick and breaking it over the glass between benches? it's been years since i've seen a coach lose it that bad, but i couldn't see anything that could possibly have instigated it.

as far as i can tell, the time line went like:

flyers score an empty net goal to make it 6-3 with 90 seconds left

penguins put 3 guys from the bottom of their roster on the ice, but they don't do anything in particular

briere gets hit cleanly

simmonds and schenn decide to take exception and get in the penguins' faces

simmonds and schenn get kinda worked by the penguins' bottom 3 guys

laviolette freaks out and tries to kill pierre mcguire with talbot's stick, but a pane of glass gets in the way

laviolette calls blysma a big stupid head

granato says, "nu-uh, you are" and blysma just watches

flyers fans and media and mike milbury announce the penguins have killed over 6 million jews

penguins fans and media go, "wait, what?"

@aziz

I think the reason that Lavi got so wound up is all the BS that was going on during the game, the uncalled slashes, Malkin pounding on G's head, the too many men that wasn't called until the Penguins starting bitching about it. The culmination of the entire game is probably what set him off, I know it did me.

yeah Aziz, I think Fan4Ever is right. Your timeline is correct - aside from the hyperbole - but it leaves out the first 58 minutes right? So I figure there's more to the story than just the ENer and the ensuing nonsense. Laviolette is a passionate guy but he's not Keenan-crazy. I give him the benefit of the doubt; if he's up on the stanchion calling out the opposing coaches there must be a good reason.

But never mind for a second what the cameras showed because my complaint wasn't about what transpired on the ice, it was about the post-game comments out of Pittsburgh. This is the third time I've tried and that's enough. At this point we've all got more pressing concerns heading into the POs.

I agree with that - we definitely don't want anyone suspended right before the playoffs, unless maybe it's Rinaldo.....or Shelley. And that's exactly what the League would do to us. In fact, I bet they're hoping something they get that chance. Anyone other than those two guys get suspended and we would be shooting ourselves in the foot. I hope the next few days of rest for Briere and Grossman are all they need. Then we need to let it all hang out come that playoff series.

I'd like to see Rinaldo in the playoffs. He's done a good job of not going psycho so far and I think he could be a useful pest in the playoffs. Shelley... well, not so much. But great fight last night.

I'd like to see Rinaldo in the playoffs. He's done a good job of not going psycho so far

He has shown remarkable restraint, including last night when I actually wanted him to go bat s hit crazy!

yeah Aziz, I think Fan4Ever is right. Your timeline is correct - aside from the hyperbole - but it leaves out the first 58 minutes right? So I figure there's more to the story than just the ENer and the ensuing nonsense. Laviolette is a passionate guy but he's not Keenan-crazy. I give him the benefit of the doubt; if he's up on the stanchion calling out the opposing coaches there must be a good reason.

But never mind for a second what the cameras showed because my complaint wasn't about what transpired on the ice, it was about the post-game comments out of Pittsburgh. This is the third time I've tried and that's enough. At this point we've all got more pressing concerns heading into the POs.

I'm betting it's all a show drummed up by NBC to get people to watch the series. Wait until the playoff schedule comes out. Pens/Flyers will be the featured prime time game whenever possible. How can a hockey fan NOT want to see this? Heck, these last two games are practically part of the playoff series.

As for the "comments out of Pittsburgh", what has been "that" bad? Shero calling out Millbury? He's right. Doesn't matter much...but he's right. Crosby calling Schenn's cross check a cheap shot when asked about it? It was, wasn't it? Crosby laid a few slashes and took a few, too (as he usually does...does that mean he can't comment on a pretty obvious cheap shot?

The bulk of the complaining has come from Laviolette and Briere and frankly, none of it is justified. As aziz pointed out, what did the Pens do that was so bad in that final minute of play? If I had a nickel for every post from a Flyers fan here and on silly.com about sending a message at the end of the game via hitting a guy, I'd be a millionaire. Now it happens to one of your guys and the coach and player think it's a problem? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

@B21

Why is Shero calling out Milbury right? Milbury's comments are accurate. You guys don't mind when they are worshipping Crosby 24/7 on NBC but now when someone says something accurate about Crosby the whole city is in an uproar?

Absurd. Like I said before, this is an example of your boy whining after the game and you were saying earlier that he's changed from that. Obviously he hasn't.

@B21

What was wrong the Vitale hit on Briere? Nothing per se, it was a clean check. It would also be the (size wise) equivalent of Shelley flattening Crosby. I think Pens land would be screaming for retribution too. Any fan of a team would.

And I don't buy the line of argument that Crosby does not dish out any more cheap stick work than he receives, but I've grown tired of that discussion and I'm sure you have too. Bring on round 1...