Jagr Skeptics

Guest SoCalFlyfan

I know some posters had their hopes up that Jagr would fail in Philly for some strange reason. But he has been the perfect complement to Giroux and has been absolutely nothing like the skeptics predicted. Anyway, I really hope he holds up physically throughout the season since that is really the only argument the skeptics potentially still have. However, even if he does wear down my hat is off to the guy for doing what he has done so far.

that would be me. And the reason may seem "strange" to you but hoping Jagr fails has been ingrained into me over many years of hating the guy.

Nobody expected him to play 2-way hockey this year. At best his supporters were hoping he'd contribute on the PP and knock home 20 or 25, while accepting the fact that he doesn't play D.

But I hardly recognize #68 this year - do you? Assuming you watched him over his career...have you ever seen him play so aggressively on both sides of the red line? I haven't. Ever.

If he's still playing 2-way hockey next spring I'll really be impressed. I already am of course, how can you not be? I'm still not happy he's a Flyer because...old habits die hard I guess. I'd much prefer someone else combining with Giroux and producing all the success they're having. But I'll get over it. Esp if Jagr is still playing the same way come spring time.

I know some posters had their hopes up that Jagr would fail in Philly for some strange reason.

well, the "some strange reason" is that he was the guy we loved to hate most in the league for almost 20 years. imagine being a junior in a pittsburgh area highschool in 1991 as a flyers fan. jagr was the face of our hatred of the pengiuns, and was the face of the asshole penguins fans we had to deal with non-stop. "dude, jagr is awesome, the flyers suck!" and then he went on to the caps and then the rangers...he was our eastern confrence nemisis. it's a tough lift to ask people who fixated on him as the enemy for 2 decades to welcome him with open arms.

that's the "had their hopes up" part. we wanted to see him humbled and shamed and the flyers to move on without him.

thing is, the "humbled" part actually happened. who knew jagr could step in and be comfortable in a supporting role? the way he's playing now, he skates like his job is to help giroux become a superstar, not increase the awesome of jagr. that's new, that's a thing none of us thought possible. the chip he had on his shoulders for years and years is gone, and he seems like a guy who is just happy to help where he can. he seems...humble. i dunno, i completely didn't see that coming. i don't think anyone who paid attention to him in pitt, wash, or NY could have seen that coming.

we'll see how he lasts through the season, but honestly, i see him getting better over the next couple months. he seems more and more comfortable out there as he gets back up to NHL speed, he's understanding giroux's game more and more, and is starting to work other players into his schemes. as one of the most vocal anti-jagr guys here (well, philly.com, but whatever), he's proven everything i feared wrong. at this point, i don't think 80 points is out of the question, and he's going to be a big part of giroux breaking 100.

Hey guys! Nice to chat with y'all again. I hear ya on the Jagr hate. It was sooooo weird for me this summer when he signed. But after a week or so I started looking forward to see what he could bring. And pre-season had me totally excited.

I thought about the history but let it all go -- we root for the Crest and anyone who works hard on the ice and brings whatever talent they have all time is gonna get my support. See also Simmonds, Wayne - but that should not be a surprise.

Aziz, Canoli,

Great posts. I can't deny you guys your right to despise the 'old' Jagr, but it's nice to see you guys separate present day Jagr from his past. Your observation is spot on regarding him seemingly out there to help Giroux and the team as opposed to himself.

Yeah Aziz said it really well when he said it seems like Jagr is intent on helping Giroux and the team, that his focus isn't glorifying all things Jagr - and that's a pretty big change. I can't deny it's obviously having a positive effect on the Flyers too - esp this team that's so full of new faces. I couldn't ask for more from any veteran of his caliber, to come in, play hard every shift, put up much-needed points and to be a role model on the ice.

Pretty amazing... and I guess like you I should realize that no matter what happens in the spring, if he does break down a bit as the year goes on, he deserves our support for the attitude he's brought to the team.

I don't get a chance to say "I told you so" very often...so I'll chime in here...lol. I thought from the day we signed him he would be a great fit. I knew he would be playing with much better talent than his KHL stint or his last few years in the NHL. The other part of the equation was his reason for coming here.. His legacy is secure, one of the best offensive machines ever. That told me he would be ready to take on any role that was asked of him. This guy just want's to win Lord Stanley one more time. He could have got MUCH more money to sign a KHL deal. He is one of the few European's to TRULY understand how sacred and important a Stanley Cup victory is.

I even speculated he would be re-signed for the 12-13 campaign. You can't teach a wicked magical one timer, it's God given...and with guys like Giroux and Danny B feeding him the puck, it made sense that he would light it up. I love Jagr's compete level in the corners and combative nature on one on one puck battles. I would go as far as to say he's playing with an edge of desperation. Saw it coming.....this guy just wants to win. I do expect the long season to take it's toll on the ol' guy....but even then, his skill level will make him worth investment. A dead tired and creaky Jagr is 100 times better than Nodl...or at least in most peoples views :)

I know some posters had their hopes up that Jagr would fail in Philly for some strange reason. But he has been the perfect complement to Giroux and has been absolutely nothing like the skeptics predicted. Anyway, I really hope he holds up physically throughout the season since that is really the only argument the skeptics potentially still have. However, even if he does wear down my hat is off to the guy for doing what he has done so far.

I was probably more positive than most about the move when it happened, but I'd be lying if I said I knew it would work out this well. Of course I had the same concerns as his detractors, but I dunno... I just had a good feeling about the move. That's the only way I can put it.

At any rate... It's awesome. Love the chemistry with Giroux and just his overall attitude. As cousin eddie would say to Clarke griswold... This is just a real nice surprise Clarke...

I think what sums up his play the best was when he is flying down the ice, Giroux has the puck, and he signals Giroux to pass to an open Hartnell on the other side of the ice. Totally unselfish play which personally I never expected from Jagr. He has turned out to be a better fit on this team than anyone could have hoped for. Hell, he even has Hartnell scoring again. And yes, I was one of those who thought he would not fit in here due to his style of play over the course of his career. I prefer my crow sauteed with onions, garlic and red pepper and will gladly finish it.

well, I was never rooting for the guy to fail, i just never had great expectations of him.

My big issue with him was/is his age, 39 is old in baseball, it's freakin' old in a physical sport like hockey, i thought we were paying a lot of money for a guy that was going to pot us 25 goals mostly on the powerplay, and was also feeling some of the" flyers signing superstars past their prime" apprehension that has been earned over the years via paul coffey, alexi zhitinik, john vanbiesbrook. etc...

I NEVER thought i'd see jagr play the two way game he's been playing this year, he has been a huge surprise to me and i am happy to eat a little crow,

you know the other guy that has been a pleasant suprise has been talbot. that guy is worth every penny we're paying him. seems to be great in the room, kills penalties, pots you a goal every couple of games, the only guy that can win a faceoff for us, he's like a more skilled less pugnatious version of laperriere. who'd a thought to ex-pens would bring so much positivity to philly.

Did you see his assist on Giroux's goal last night? That was all Jagr's hard work on the boards to battle with the CBJ player, strip him of the puck, and make a great pass to an open G.

Those are the kinds of things I love seeing from not only Jagr, but all of our players. Not just pretty passes, or fancy displays of talent, but plays that are the result of hard work and getting in the dirty areas.

I'm in the same boat as everyone, he's won me over with his play and leadership right now. It's amazing that he plays defense, forecheck and backchecks, you cannot find a flaw in his game right now except maybe skating but he always skates like that. He's showing the young and old guys that you don't need to be just offensively to be effective (hint to Briere). I do hope he keeps this up for the whole year and if he does, he deserves another year here.

I have to say, I was never against the Jagr signing because of his past affiliations. In fact I was never totally against the signing, but I did not really think it would help the team that much. I did not expect him to have much left in the tank and with the departure of both Carter and Richards, it did not seem to solve the drop in scoring. Jagr has surprised the hell out of me, especially with his 2 way play.

Did you see his assist on Giroux's goal last night? That was all Jagr's hard work on the boards to battle with the CBJ player, strip him of the puck, and make a great pass to an open G

That was actually Rick Nash that he overpowered for the puck along the boards. I never saw Jagr do that once in his prime and here he is at 40 shoving around a big boy like Nash.

I was expecting he would a good player. Because he doesn't have a huge contract, and he didn't promise a lot before season in his interviews. So guy is calm and playing in his best ability of his age. I admire his work so far as player and person.

But remember you need to keep him happy, that was happened in Caps, Bondra had so much injures, so he was expect Bondra would be next Mario, but it didn't happened.

But seems to me he is new role - he pass a puck a lot, it's kind a surprising to me.

That was actually Rick Nash that he overpowered for the puck along the boards. I never saw Jagr do that once in his prime and here he is at 40 shoving around a big boy like Nash.

LOL, was it really? Man, poor Nash. Excellent player that will never be remembered because of where he played.

Yeah. Pretty bad place to be (nice city been there, just not for hockey). Carter was cast off to the NHL's equivilant of Siberia. Perhaps no player should piss Homer off. I mean, there are other looser teams like Phoenix and Florida but they atleast have great weather. At least Richards has a beach condo though ! Oh THAT'S right, so does Carter. We should rent it...

Jagr is probably in the best shape of his career. If any one payed any attention to the world championships last year they would have noticed how dominant Jagr was. SSSSOOOOOOOOO glad Jagr chose Philly first. :D

and don't forget Jagr's hockey school.....helping players as JVR.

I always liked the signing. I figured maybe he would put up around 60 points... never expected the pace for around 90. I never bought into the arguments about his lack of production in the inferior league. You could still argue he is old and not used to playing 82+ game anymore, but this team has enough firepower to spread the minutes around if needed. Being 39 doesn't mean you can't play at a high level anymore. Just ask Recchi and Lidstrom.

I honestly expected Jagr to be a point a game player when Philly signed him. He did it in the KHL so I was excited because I thought that he still had the skill to do it here as well. I have to admit that I never expected him to be such a team player and to play defensively like he has. His commitment to the game and this team is more than I was expecting. Turns out he's a point-a-game player who works out hard and wants to mentor our young superstar. That's a bargain at a little over 3 million.

If any one payed any attention to the world championships last year they would have noticed how dominant Jagr was.

Ya I saw the Worlds and it was clear he was still able to do his thing offensively. Until Ovechkin laid him out with that big hit he was looking like the old Jagr.

I have to admit I hoped that hit would've knocked him out of hockey for good! (not really, but sort of :-)

Never wanted him to fail. Just always thought he was a prima donna so I didn't want him. That and he's 39. So far so good with him, so I don't have a problem with it.

I looked at this signing like a dog cocks his head to one side when a high pitch sound is made. I was confused and also conflicted that we now have a man on our team that, like many of you have already stated, we're expected to hate. Learning how much he dedicates himself to conditioning and helping the youngsters, my skepticism turned into optimism. He has been a beast along the boards and is resembling a player who is 29 not 39. Lets all hope he can maintain this level of play past an 82 game schedule.