Sean Couturier...redux

Guest flyercanuck

There was a Couturier thread not too long ago, but too long IMO.

Watching him play against NHLers this season has been a real treat. Not only is he rock solid defensively, but you can see his vision offensively. Like Schenn, their numbers are going to come, they just have to keep working as hard as they have been. He's made some nice plays that just haven't resulted in goals, but they will come.

Yesterday, watching him play against two of the best players in the world (love them or hate them) was a real treat. He was all over Malkinstein for most of the game, ending up a +2 to "Geno's" -1. I loved the way he was getting in his face, giving him an extra shove, not being wowed at all by the lughead. At the end of the game he looked like he was having the time of his life.

This team is going to be stacked at center in 2 or 3 years. I mean more than they already are.

Watching him play against NHLers this season has been a real treat. Not only is he rock solid defensively, but you can see his vision offensively. Like Schenn, their numbers are going to come, they just have to keep working as hard as they have been. He's made some nice plays that just haven't resulted in goals, but they will come.

Yesterday, watching him play against two of the best players in the world (love them or hate them) was a real treat. He was all over Malkinstein for most of the game, ending up a +2 to "Geno's" -1. I loved the way he was getting in his face, giving him an extra shove, not being wowed at all by the lughead. At the end of the game he looked like he was having the time of his life.

This team is going to be stacked at center in 2 or 3 years. I mean more than they already are.

Every thing you said, totally impressed with his smarts and maturity...just imagine when he puts some more muscle on his frame he is going to be a beast. Still can believe he fell to their laps in the draft...no if they could some how manage a defenseman falling into their laps somehow at the draft it would be icing on the cake.......

Edited by OccamsRazor

I was thinking that if there was a question about whether the Flyers should have taken him or Hamilton, yesterday's game might have provided the answer. Having him around to go against Malkin for (hopefully) the next 10 years or whatever is looking pretty good.

He was all over Malkinstein for most of the game

As another poster said, this kid is a gem. What isn't he doing? Not only did he shut down Malkin, he got inside his head too (I just wish they would penalize Malkin when he loses his cool and punches Sean in the face; that's supposed to be illegal). He's winning big face offs and he's contributing offensively. One thing that surprised me a bit: I didn't know Sean had it in him to be a completely annoying pest. He's under Malkin's skin in a big way and the book says that's how you have to play him.

Sean's probably the best example but, as Milbury said yesterday during the broadcast, the Flyers' young players give us a chance to be very good for a long time. I don't have to point out what Simmonds has done the last couple games. What a warrior. Schenn has been awesome too as have Matt Read, Jakub Voracek and Giroux of course. Bourdon looks pretty darn good this time around too and I thought Bob was very strong in goal despite the couple early ones he let in. That's a hell of a lot of young talent.

he got inside his head too (I just wish they would penalize Malkin when he loses his cool and punches Sean in the face; that's supposed to be illegal).

From your lips to Shanny's ears. Never happen though until Malkinstein changes teams somehow. I can't stress enough how awful the consistency for discipline is in the NHL.

@flyercanuck

Absolutely love the kid. The kid can and has played in any game situation. Second on the team in +/- at +19 which to me is a direct reflection of the work he does WITHOUT the puck (given his modest production).

The trades that Homer made last summer with Carter / Richards should put him as GM of the year. Who saw nearly 30 goals from Simmonds? Who saw Voracek become a very strong two way 2nd line winger (though always thought he had that potential and still has more potential to go).

You and I had talked about Couturier even before the Flyers had picked him- and I was a fan, yet I never thought he would come in like this right away.

And I knew nothing about Schenn other than being the supposed "best player not playing in the NHL". I had no idea that he is as snarly as he is (if only his older brother had that snarl).

This team is going to be a HANDFUL in 1-2 years. If we can snag one or two highend d-men prospects (their currently are 27 d-men projected to go in the first two rounds), that would be excellent.

@Vanflyer

It's like having a teenaged grizzled vet on the team. He should already be a Selke nominee, but won't because of his points. (How points matter in a "best defensive forward" award has always bewildered me)

Simmonds is exactly what this team needed. There are 5 players in the NHL with 20 goals and 100 penalty minutes...Philly has two of them. Like I mentioned in the JVR thread, how could you watch this guy battle out there and not elevate your game?

Voracek has been the real surprise in the deal (other than Couturier falling to #8) His name was thrown around as the 1st pick halfway through his draft year. He had a great motor in junior, but seemed to lose it in Columbus (like everyone else) The change of scenery was like switching from beer to whisky.

Schenn has always been compared to Mike Richards. He has no problem playing in the trenches, and will drop them whenever. As has been mentioned before, he'll probably never be as good defensively as Richards (I don't think a lot of Philly fans realized how good he was in that dept) but he may end up being better pointswise. He had a slow start, I think he's just like most players who take a year or so to adapt to the speed of the NHL. His brother had that snarl, but seems to have lost it playing for that joke of a franchise.

• Like 1

Great thread, well-deserved tribute to Couturier. He won 62% of his draws on Sunday, is that right? He's been Lavy's key FO man in tight situations this year, which is amazing all by itself.

The Flyers look like they're having fun playing together this year and the rookies are a big reason. Imagine being a 5, 6, 10-year vet of the NHL. It's your job, it's been your job for a long time. You love it but you know...it's your job. Training camp opens and in walks one rookie surprise after another, kids that are fired up just to be there. And then it turns out they can play. Couturier's a projected "maybe," Schenn is supposedly "can't miss," Read basically unknown, Zac a question-mark for reasons that'll surely hurt him in the NHL.

And then...hardly anything goes to plan. You all know what happened. Schenn's out, hurt, Couturier is in, Zac, Read, etc. all impress. It's almost strange how well it's come together, the rookies with Couturier probably the best of them. Not such a bad problem to have, deciding who's our best rookie...

But they sure look like they're having fun out there and every time the camera finds the Flyers' bench the boys are knocking it around. It's good to see. Helluva contrast to last year...

• Like 2

the other thing that people aren't mentioning about these young guys is they seem to like playing together and being team mates.

whatever the outcome of this season, this version of the flyers will be in the top 5 when it comes to my favorites, they don't quit, they have fun, they're fast and tough and they'll be together for another couple of years. it has been fun to watch them grow this season.

@Vanflyer

well the 87 team that took edmonton to game 7 is the top, the Lindros/Leclair team that lost to the Devils in 00 is in there, the recchi roenick primeau team in 04 that lost to the bolts in the ecf, that team had a lot of character and toughness, I liked the Richards Carter Umberger team that lost to the pens in 08/09 too. i was too young to appreciate the cup winning teams, and just on the cusp of getting it when the refs stole the cup in 80 vs the islanders. so those teams while great don't have a place in my memory.

anyway i've really enjoyed watching this bunch .

Edited by mojo1917

@Vanflyer

well the 87 team that took edmonton to game 7 is the top, the Lindros/Leclair team that lost to the Devils in 00 is in there, the recchi roenick primeau team in 04 or 05 that lost to the bolts in the ecf, that team had a lot of character and toughness, I liked the Richards Carter Umberger team that lost to the pens in 08/09 too. i was too young to appreciate the cup winning teams, and just on the cusp of getting it when the refs stole the cup in 80 vs the islanders. so those teams while great don't have a place in my memory.

anyway i've really enjoyed watching this bunch .

My favorite team is the '03/'04 team that lost to the Lightning. I was devastated as an 11 year-old seeing them lose. I really thought that was going to be the year. I also love the Legion of Doom era team(s) but I was just a little kid back then so I don't really have a favorite year for them.

@mojo1917

I started watching the Flyers in 1979. That 79-80 season was nothing short of amazing. It also was signaling a bit of the changing of the guard.

So, that 1980's team is my favorite. Wilson, linsemen and Propp were the new kids. Bridgemen, Daily and Holmgren were the next in line. And then of course you had Barber, clarke, Macleish, and Leach as the stalwarts.

Prior to that year, I was always a baseball fan / player, but made friends with a new neighbor that played hockey. We became best friends and watched every game together in 1979/80. It was a life changing event for me because I started to play club hockey with my friend (always knew how to skate- just not how to play). That ended up being a scholarship and div 1 hockey career.

1980 was perhaps a sport year that will never be repeated. You had the Flyers wrongfully losing to the Isles, the Phillies winning the pennant, the eagles in the superbowl, the sixer in the finals. As a kid, I was hooked to it all. You could not live in Philly and not be an Eagles fan. At a 9 year old in a poorer neighborhood, there were three things we did: play baseball, play football and play street hockey (not so much basketball).

But I digress. Back to the Flyers. After that season began the 4 year slide. Me and my best friend still watched all the games and our hearts broke with the each playoff loss.

Then came the mid-80's (84) - late 80's team (89) (which is #2 on my list). If not for the dynamo that was the Oilers there would have been two - three more stanley cups for the Flyers. I think those teams were about as good of an architected Flyers team that I ever witnessed. And without a doubt, Dave Poulin is the second best Flyer captain ever.

I will give, begrudgingly, a nod to any of the legion of doom teams as my number 3. I say begrudgingly because I don't think they were very well architected. They were a 1-2 trick pony only- and certainly with no decent goaltending.

#4 would be the 2003-2004 Primeau led Flyers. While I still think Primeau was completely overrated (particularly in the lore of Flyers history), this for sure was the shining jewel on his career and I can not deny the heart and resiliency that that team showed- led by captain primeau. The toronto series that year was epic- and if not for that, the Flyers would have beat Tampa and have been in the SCF.

Now that I have completely and totally hi-jacked this thread, I will finish with this:

If the Flyers EVER had a goalie like Roy or Brodeur or even a late bloomer like Thomas, there would have been multiple parades.

P.S. A side tid-bit which seems to have gone unnoticed by this forum and the hockey world at large:

With this this 100 point season, the Flyers (an initial expansion team) tied the Boston Broons (an original 6 team) as having the MOST 100 point or greater seasons in the history of the NHL. Many would of, could of, should of cups in those 100point campaigns. Anytime another team wants to poo poo on the Flyers, just throw that out there.

@mojo1917

I started watching the Flyers in 1979. That 79-80 season was nothing short of amazing. It also was signaling a bit of the changing of the guard.

So, that 1980's team is my favorite. Wilson, linsemen and Propp were the new kids. Bridgemen, Daily and Holmgren were the next in line. And then of course you had Barber, clarke, Macleish, and Leach as the stalwarts.

Prior to that year, I was always a baseball fan / player, but made friends with a new neighbor that played hockey. We became best friends and watched every game together in 1979/80. It was a life changing event for me because I started to play club hockey with my friend (always knew how to skate- just not how to play). That ended up being a scholarship and div 1 hockey career.

1980 was perhaps a sport year that will never be repeated. You had the Flyers wrongfully losing to the Isles, the Phillies winning the pennant, the eagles in the superbowl, the sixer in the finals. As a kid, I was hooked to it all. You could not live in Philly and not be an Eagles fan. At a 9 year old in a poorer neighborhood, there were three things we did: play baseball, play football and play street hockey (not so much basketball).

But I digress. Back to the Flyers. After that season began the 4 year slide. Me and my best friend still watched all the games and our hearts broke with the each playoff loss.

Then came the mid-80's (84) - late 80's team (89) (which is #2 on my list). If not for the dynamo that was the Oilers there would have been two - three more stanley cups for the Flyers. I think those teams were about as good of an architected Flyers team that I ever witnessed. And without a doubt, Dave Poulin is the second best Flyer captain ever.

I will give, begrudgingly, a nod to any of the legion of doom teams as my number 3. I say begrudgingly because I don't think they were very well architected. They were a 1-2 trick pony only- and certainly with no decent goaltending.

#4 would be the 2003-2004 Primeau led Flyers. While I still think Primeau was completely overrated (particularly in the lore of Flyers history), this for sure was the shining jewel on his career and I can not deny the heart and resiliency that that team showed- led by captain primeau. The toronto series that year was epic- and if not for that, the Flyers would have beat Tampa and have been in the SCF.

Now that I have completely and totally hi-jacked this thread, I will finish with this:

If the Flyers EVER had a goalie like Roy or Brodeur or even a late bloomer like Thomas, there would have been multiple parades.

P.S. A side tid-bit which seems to have gone unnoticed by this forum and the hockey world at large:

With this this 100 point season, the Flyers (an initial expansion team) tied the Boston Broons (an original 6 team) as having the MOST 100 point or greater seasons in the history of the NHL. Many would of, could of, should of cups in those 100point campaigns. Anytime another team wants to poo poo on the Flyers, just throw that out there.