#20..... Chris who?!?!

Guest emwags618

There has been virtually no talk about Chris Pronger lately. It's almost as if everyones forgot about him!

Right after his Injury the only thing people were saying was "They can't survive with out him, they're doomed" "The Flyers NEED Pronger, they're nothing with out him" Blah Blah Blah, ect.

Personally, I think we have been perfectly fine with out him. We've obviously proved that we can win without him & can manage with out our "Captain". But we are deffinately not captain-less. Personally I think that we have multiple players in that locker room that have stepped up as Captain figures and Leaders of the team. I think Hartnell, Giroux, & Talbot have stood out the most to me as to taking on the leader roles.

I think this has been a blessing in disguise. It's a shame loosing our big man on the blue line, and our captain, and you never want to see an injured player, but it's brought some good aswell. Losing Pronger has really given the younger guys a chance to step it up, get their feet wet and get a feel for things, learn the ropes of being a leader, and getting more experience & playing time. It's don

If worst comes to worst, and Pronger ends up having to be done for good, I think we'll be fine with out him.

Right after Prongers injury they couldn't live without him. Thats why they traded for Grossmann and Kubina. I agree they are doing good without him but lets just remember your talking about not missing a top 15 d-man of all time, who up until the eye injury was playing just as good as his first year here.

@ emwags 618

Let's not carried away with the Chris who stuff. The defense was mostly putrid without him, and stayed that way until Grossman and Kubina arrived. Pronger's injury gave Bourdon a chance for some ice time, but he hasn't done anything that would make me forget about #20.

There has been virtually no talk about Chris Pronger lately. It's almost as if everyones forgot about him!

Right after his Injury the only thing people were saying was "They can't survive with out him, they're doomed" "The Flyers NEED Pronger, they're nothing with out him" Blah Blah Blah, ect.

Personally, I think we have been perfectly fine with out him. We've obviously proved that we can win without him & can manage with out our "Captain". But we are deffinately not captain-less. Personally I think that we have multiple players in that locker room that have stepped up as Captain figures and Leaders of the team. I think Hartnell, Giroux, & Talbot have stood out the most to me as to taking on the leader roles.

I think this has been a blessing in disguise. It's a shame loosing our big man on the blue line, and our captain, and you never want to see an injured player, but it's brought some good aswell. Losing Pronger has really given the younger guys a chance to step it up, get their feet wet and get a feel for things, learn the ropes of being a leader, and getting more experience & playing time. It's don

If worst comes to worst, and Pronger ends up having to be done for good, I think we'll be fine with out him.

One player does not a team make. That's an old proverb I just made up.

A couple trades along with some guys having outstanding seasons will help lessen the blow of losing a guy like Pronger.

They have already have the plans in place to spend the LTIR money.

Getting Bryzgalov to shut his mouth and get out of the woods helped more than anything I think. Maybe Grossmann and Kubina allowed Bryzgalov to settle down, who knows? But it came together at the right time. There's no denying we'd be better with Pronger in the lineup; he brings a lot more than what we get to see on the ice. But the OP's point about a "blessing in disguise" is a good one imo.

Getting MAB some quality NHL time is a huge benefit. He's ready to work the POs for us now and if he keeps the giveaways down he's an asset.

Hopefully we buy out Pronger's contract under the new CBA. It's hard to imagine him wanting to come back after what he's been through, considering his age, etc. The fantasy that Pronger returns and is the incredible force he once was is probably just that - a fantasy.

• Like 1

The defense was mostly putrid without him, and stayed that way until Grossman and Kubina arrived.

The defense was mostly putrid without him, and stayed that way until Grossman and Kubina arrived. Fixed it for you.

Kubina has not been good. He frequently seems confused about where to put the puck on the break out, then tries to freeze the puck against the boards, then turns it over. One of the Pens' first two goals yesterday was a result of one of those. Grossmann on the other hand has been awesome. Like one broadcaster said, I can't believe he didn't have a bigger role in Dallas.

Edited by terp

@terp

"Like one broadcaster said, I can't believe he didn't have a bigger role in Dallas."

How about it. WTF was Dallas thinking, then to trade him for just a 2nd and 3rd (which I thought was high price for scrub rental, which he is NOT at all). I pray that we can sign him and hope the boys upstairs are wooing him already.

I'm not at all saying that we don't need him, Don't get me wrong... with out a doubt we would be a better team if he was heathy and playing. I'm just saying that we've shut up all the Nay Sayers, and we can survive without our big D-man. Also i'm saying that this has brought some good along with it too.

If it wasn't for his injury, we would'nt have gotten Grossman or Kubina, who, for the most part, has turned out to be a really good asset and addition to this team.

Kubina has not been good. He frequently seems confused about where to put the puck on the break out, then tries to freeze the puck against the boards, then turns it over.

If I didn't know better I'd say he was a rookie adjusting to the speed of the NHL. He's not a terrible skater or anything and positionally he's good, but god help us all when he gets the puck on his stick. Twice last night he corralled it behind Bryzgalov and both times he had 2 easy outs up ice and didn't take either. He froze, looked both ways, then started skating the puck. Both times he was too slow and the Rags swarmed, forcing turnovers.

Coburn did the same thing last night a few times, Carle and Kimmo too. I don't know what the hell it is but we just suck against the Rangers this year. Weird too because in the 3rd, after it went to 5-3 we owned them for like 8 shifts in a row. It was like a 10-minute Flyers' PP, all attack time.

although they have survived with out Pronger last nights game was a fine example on how much they really miss him. 1 for 8 on the power play while the rags were 3 for 6.The flyers have no hammer from the point and the other teams know it.

• Like 1

Getting Bryzgalov to shut his mouth and get out of the woods helped more than anything I think. Maybe Grossmann and Kubina allowed Bryzgalov to settle down, who knows? But it came together at the right time. There's no denying we'd be better with Pronger in the lineup; he brings a lot more than what we get to see on the ice. But the OP's point about a "blessing in disguise" is a good one imo.

Getting MAB some quality NHL time is a huge benefit. He's ready to work the POs for us now and if he keeps the giveaways down he's an asset.

Hopefully we buy out Pronger's contract under the new CBA. It's hard to imagine him wanting to come back after what he's been through, considering his age, etc. The fantasy that Pronger returns and is the incredible force he once was is probably just that - a fantasy.

Pronger has always been one of my favorite players and was elated when the Flyers traded for him. He is a huge presence on the Flyers. But, if he decides to come back next year at his age and what he has been through this year, I will personally kick him in the teeth..........and then run like the dickens.

Also, without the additions of Grossmann and Kubina, this team was toast.

• Like 1

This team has done a tremendous job this season dealing with adversity all season long. the turnover in the offseason, a goalie that, well we know the story there. The number of injuries, the number of rookies. The team should be applauded for being in the position it is in at this point. At the beginning of the season most fans were labeling this season a rebuilding year so to help deal with what was anticipated as being a very tumultuous season riddled with ugly losses and a mid to low pack standing by seasons end. Well, tumultuous it was and the Flyers still remain in a decent position, heck, people aren't even instantly writing them off as one and done in the playoffs like they were earlier in the season.

Despite all of this, It is an absolute shame that the team lost Chris. it would be an even bigger shame (from a Flyers/hockey standpoint) if Chris can never suit of for the Flyers ever again. He wasn't the player he was in his prime, but he was still a tremendous ability out there and a potential game changer when completely healthy. He will be missed by this Flyers fan, no matter how well the team adjusts to his absence.

• Like 1