Boudreau slams the Flyers for Diving

Guest hf101

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/2011/12/04/ducks-boudreau-slams-flyers-for-diving/

Regardless of where he’s behind the bench, he doesn’t like or respect the Flyers.

On Saturday, after his Ducks debut was spoiled on Friday night at the Honda Center with a 4-3 comeback overtime win by the Flyers the night prior, Boudreau couldn’t help but commend his club for some good things, discuss the emotional week, and oh yeah, trash the Flyers for diving.

“I knew exactly what Philly was going to do,” Boudreau told the OC Register. ”I knew the guys that were going to dive and they did. They got away with it. The only one that didn’t get away with it was [Wayne] Simmonds. It looked like he got shot. And he went down until he start peeking and no one was calling it and then he had to get back up.”

Boudreau was highlighting a play late in the contest, when Ducks forward Corry Perry incidentally collided with Simmonds in the Flyers’ zone. Neither player was watching the other when Perry wiped out Simmonds with a blindside hit, who crumpled to the ground, dropped his stick and eyeballed a call.

“[scott] Hartnell looked like he’d gotten shot by a bazooka,” said the new coach, whose new team ranks third in the league in minors taken. “He didn’t miss a shift and then he comes in and scores the tying goal.”

I disagree about us diving. Maybe he doesn't realize how many penalties the ducks take, he doesn't know the team yet. What a hypocrite! This comment comes from a guy who coached the biggest bunch of divers (caps), maybe only 2nd to buffalo. Why not work on turning the team around threw hard work, not looking for excuses.

Edited by Leach27

I guess he's gotta stick up for his guys considering how new he is... but yeah... pretty hypocritical.

On the other hand, maybe he should've used this as a situation to try and deal with the pims problem Anaheim (and we ;-( ) have.

The only blatant 'dive' I saw was when Briere had a stick scrape up his helmet (forehead area) and he grabbed his face (and drew a call).

Oh, and boudreau is a piece of sh!t.

Meh, he's the West's problem now. His teams dove as much as rookie Crosby. I saw zero dives, but I have adjusted to the new NHL. Call dives and players will stop.

I wonder if he knows the cardboard cutout of Briere weighs more than Briere? That isn't diving, that's physics.

I'd love to see fatass get his head grazed with a stick nowadays, and see him pretend nothing happens.

What a douche. I agree, just as bad as Ruff.

Waaahhhhh, reffffff.

I hope the NHL fines him for insinuating the refs weren't doing their jobs properly calling diving.

I guess he's gotta stick up for his guys considering how new he is... but yeah... pretty hypocritical.

On the other hand, maybe he should've used this as a situation to try and deal with the pims problem Anaheim (and we ;-( ) have.

I thought the exact same thing on both your points fish. Point a) he was deflecting from his team, instead of ripping them (and I think we can probably guess that Carlye was always ripping them- thus why they tuned him out). Point B) perhaps a rip on the refs, but something they handle better behind closed doors.

Meh, he's the West's problem now. His teams dove as much as rookie Crosby. I saw zero dives, but I have adjusted to the new NHL. Call dives and players will stop.

I wonder if he knows the cardboard cutout of Briere weighs more than Briere? That isn't diving, that's physics.

I'd love to see fatass get his head grazed with a stick nowadays, and see him pretend nothing happens.

What a douche. I agree, just as bad as Ruff.

Waaahhhhh, reffffff.

I hope the NHL fines him for insinuating the refs weren't doing their jobs properly calling diving.

On the Briere call, it was an errant stick off his helmet, not his face. Briere definitely sold that call. I dislike when players do that, even if they are wearing the O&B. Who was it recently that knocked out a couple of Talbot's teeth out right in front of the ref with no call? The NHL as a whole would do themselves a favor by reviewing questionable calls and fining the divers.

On the Briere call, it was an errant stick off his helmet, not his face. Briere definitely sold that call. I dislike when players do that, even if they are wearing the O&B. Who was it recently that knocked out a couple of Talbot's teeth out right in front of the ref with no call? The NHL as a whole would do themselves a favor by reviewing questionable calls and fining the divers.

Unfortunately I didn't see this game so I can't weigh in completely. So while I didn't see the Briere highstick, I can say that if I imagine getting a stick to the head,even if it was just the helmet, it'd surprise me and maybe have me freak out a little. Was it a blatant sell job or could it have been close enough to go either way? But I do agree completely about the diving though, regardless of if they are in the O&B or not. Carcillo drove me nuts with his head flail. That one he did, forget which game, where the replay showed that not only did absolutely nothing touch him, but his head flail was delayed as well. That's embarrassing. And has no place in the game, Flyers or anyone else.

Boudreau was highlighting a play late in the contest, when Ducks forward Corry Perry incidentally collided with Simmonds in the Flyers’ zone. Neither player was watching the other when Perry wiped out Simmonds with a blindside hit, who crumpled to the ground, dropped his stick and eyeballed a call.

Every player in the league would have done the same thing as Simmonds; it's part of the game if you can give yourselves an advantage.

Every player in the league would have done the same thing as Simmonds; it's part of the game if you can give yourselves an advantage.

For sure......if the referees aren't going to call diving, the players should try to sell the play in favor of their team.

What high stick on Briere was called against the Ducks are you fellas are talking about? The only two called on the Ducks were Koivu slashing Harry Z under the visor and Perry pitchforking the blade of his stick into Hartnell's face. Briere took a crosscheck that sent him into the boards, but I believe crosschecking is also against the rules, Porky, I mean Coach Bruce.

Simmonds collided with another guy while he looked over his shoulder got freight trained. He had every right to believe he was interfered with, even though it was a good non-call.

I'll be happy if Boudreau is fired twice in one season. Who does he think he is, Lindy Ruff?

”I knew the guys that were going to dive and they did. They got away with it.

And that's the fallacy of Boudreau's argument.......our guys never get away with anything. Ever. Ok, very rarely ever. The day we get away with anything in an NHL game, especially something that influences the outcome in our favor, is the day that our government admits the CIA -- in cahoots with the Cubans -- was responsible for the JFK assassination which was orchestrated by the military-industrial complex and that Oswald really was just a patsy!! Ha.

They should making diving a 4 minute unsportsmanlike penalty IMO.

AND let the guy that was supposed to get a penalty walk free instead of taking both of them off. Like the ref can say "well, he was going to get a penalty but you dove so he doesn't and YOU do".

AND let the guy that was supposed to get a penalty walk free instead of taking both of them off. Like the ref can say "well, he was going to get a penalty but you dove so he doesn't and YOU do".

I also think there should be some kind of system for the refs that punishes them(monetarily) for some of the horrible officiating. I am not talking about one or two bad calls, but consistently poor officiating needs to be addressed( see Devorski/Koharski/Hebert and a few others) for examples.

I also think there should be some kind of system for the refs that punishes them(monetarily) for some of the horrible officiating. I am not talking about one or two bad calls, but consistently poor officiating needs to be addressed( see Devorski/Koharski/Hebert and a few others) for examples.

that would be excellent. I'd still like to figure out some ways for calls to be review-able but not eat up too much time. There's tons of ripe examples but that Talbot stick to the face non-call sticks out to me. If they didn't see it fine, but he certainly didn't do it to himself so they should look at it to see how it happened. Also,calls where the ref that is further away has his arm up and the ref that is right there doesn't should also be looked into. Like maybe the ref that is further away has to confer with the ref that is closer to see if he saw the same thing. Again, it'd be confusing to play thinking there "may" be a penalty only to find out there wasn't but there has to be some way for those borderline calls being made by the further away ref can be evaluated better. My suggestions may not be the right answers but the system has flaws and needs some tweaking, that much I do know.

I agree, it's a penalty or it's a dive!

Like maybe the ref that is further away has to confer with the ref that is closer to see if he saw the same thing.

The NFL does this all the time (too often it seems.) Leave it up to the officials as to if and when the confer and who gets final say, but at least allow them to "reverse" themselves and "pick up the flag."

The NFL does this all the time (too often it seems.) Leave it up to the officials as to if and when the confer and who gets final say, but at least allow them to "reverse" themselves and "pick up the flag."

very well put, perfect example. The NHL could learn a thing or two from that league in terms of officiating. Again, no one's perfect but there seems to be a lot less controversy with that sport.