Cherry's Coach's Corner on the chopping block?

Guest Irishjim

Don_Cherry_BAL201101181225_Top_Prospects_CHL_Toronto.jpg

The CBC is in pullback mode. The austerity axe chopped deep into the CBC's budget Wednesday, and will result in "a very different public broadcaster" CBC president Hubert Lacroix said. ... CBC sports coverage, especially of hockey, will be maintained, [executive vice-president of CBC's English services Kirstine Stewart] added. "(Sports coverage) actually gives us a margin of profitability that we then invest in other programming," she said. "We are very committed to a relationship with NHL." Stewart would not say whether Hockey Night in Canada's Coach's Corner segment -- which reportedly pays controversial host Don Cherry upwards of $800,000 -- will be chopped.

Canada.com

Cherry can take his Coach's Corner to another place - or teh interwebs - with little problem. It's a solid brand that hockey fans know across North America.

CBC just needs to figure out if it's worth it to them to keep him for 3/4 of a million...

Stewart would not say whether Hockey Night in Canada's Coach's Corner segment -- which reportedly pays controversial host Don Cherry upwards of $800,000 -- will be chopped.

I wonder if they could save some money by just taking away his clothing allowance..........

Cherry can take his Coach's Corner to another place - or teh interwebs - with little problem. It's a solid brand that hockey fans know across North America.

CBC just needs to figure out if it's worth it to them to keep him for 3/4 of a million...

You're not wrong, but it is a bit hard for me seeing Grapes embracing the interwebs very much. Not that there wouldn't be a market. But I'm not quite sure he'd make $3/4M that way either. He'd make some, but not that much, I don't think.

Ya, and the article doesn't actually say anything about cutting the show. Other than it says they didn't mention anything about cutting the show.

Isn't HNIC a cash cow for CBC? And, I'm pretty sure that the most watched part of HNIC is Coaches Corner.