Flyers sign Matt Ford to a 1Y deal

Guest hf101

Matt-Ford1-300x199.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers have signed Phantoms RW Matt Ford to a two-way, $600,000 deal for the 2012-13 season.

Ford has been a consistently powerful force on the right side for the Flyers’ AHL affiliate Adirondack Phantoms since he was acquired in early February. So far he has 15 goals and 7 assists (22 points) through 25 games for the Phantoms. Prior to the trade, he had 10 goals and 18 assists through 39 games played with the Hershey Bears.

Ford, who hails from West Hills, California, was traded to the Flyers organization in a minor league deal between the Adirondack Phantoms and the Washington Capitals’ AHL affiliate Hershey Bears on 2 February 2012 in exchange for Phantoms defenseman Kevin Marshall.

The Phantoms currently sit four points out of eighth place in the AHL’s Eastern Conference. There are six games remaining until the start of the Calder Cup playoffs, should the Phantoms make it to the postseason.

Good question for training camp next summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him being one of the phantoms that sticks around for the Flyers practice in the playoffs once their season is complete.

I am surprised no one was upset or talked about Marshall being traded. When he was drafted he seemed like he was exactly what the Flyers needed on the blueline, a physical, stay at home guy.

I think the reason no teers were shed was mainly because he was a disspointment. The sentiment was that he was miles behind in his development. If memory serves, he was tentatively projected to crack the Flyers' lineup for the 2010-2011 season and he was nowhere near to being ready.

I am surprised no one was upset or talked about Marshall being traded. When he was drafted he seemed like he was exactly what the Flyers needed on the blueline, a physical, stay at home guy.

I think Bourdon may have helped ease the pain.

I think Bourdon may have helped ease the pain.

I think that's the bottom line. Seems a lot was expected from Marshall, and Bourdon was Plan B. But then Bourdon's stock rose as he proved more capable than anticipated. So Marshall was increasingly seen as unnecessary. What's really needed is an eventual replacement for our aging top four, not another 5-7 d-man.

Edited by Earle'sGaffe

Marshall was just too slow for the NHL. Everyone saw it up close and personal earlier in the season. He was adapting and playing better as he got in more games, but he just couldn't keep up.

Gus and Bourdon helped ease the pain as well.

Marshall was just too slow for the NHL. Everyone saw it up close and personal earlier in the season. He was adapting and playing better as he got in more games, but he just couldn't keep up.

Gus and Bourdon helped ease the pain as well.

In reference to Marshall i couldn't tell if his speed was due to just him being slow or just he brain slow breaking down just what was happening around him and processing it.

Make the two together.

Either way he's gone.

Phantoms need scorers with so much on the talent on n

the big club.

They'll get an infusion of talent next season.

Hovinen/Hetter in net, Nobles should make the jump.

Konan and Mangene may add a little more talent, who knows with all these rookie points this season. And another 1st round talent hopefully added draft time this season.

Future is brite!

Edit: Brendan Ranford should make the next step also.

I'd also expect Blidstrand to be signed once Janvenski's season is over and contract feed up.

Edited by OccamsRazor