Add Tortorella to the list that rips Pens, Malkin & Crosby

Guest Digityman

@B21

Dude.....are you saying there is no merit to any of the comments publicly made about the Pens in the last week? Listen I know you gotta defend your team, and you're outnumbered on this board so it's difficult to concede anything. But you sound like you believe EVERYBODY that speaks ill of the Pens 100% wrong....that's where I think you might wanna check yourself.

My youngest son gets away with more than his siblings, as the youngest he's mom's favorite although she denies it. I called him and my wife Sidney and Commissioner Bettman last night after a particularly egregious looking of the other way when the older kids would have gotten ripped for doing the same. I thought it was a good analogy. That's all I'm saying. Carry on....

Did your wife and son get that? :)

If the Pens are being accused of something they deserve then I won't defend them. But Crosby and Malkin get away with no more or no less than the other star players in the league and that includes several Flyers. For some reason, Torts and Berube and Milbury have issues with that.

But just because known whiner like Torts calls out Crosby and Malkin for really no reason...really just reiterating what Berube said who was reiterating what Milbury (a known whiner and Pens/Crosby hater) said...and I have to take "See - we told you!" from Flyers nation? LOL...gimma a break.

@terp

<< Interesting rebuttle because Shero did indeed comment about concussions. The only problem was that Milbury didn't "make light of" Sid's concussions. Shero was playing the victim, but the offense never occurred. So it was an odd thing to complain about. In fact, it sounded like more whining. >>

You obviouly pick and choose what you want to believe. You have it engraved into your mind that there is bias for my team and against yours despite all the facts proving otherwise. The same goes for these latest issues. Shero did not play the victim. He had issues with Milbury making light of Crosby's concussion history (which Milbury did in fact do). Now Milbury is a "prominent" broadcast personality? If you were able to add "well respected" to that you have an argument. But you can't...becuase is isn't. And neither is much of what he says...unless of course it conveniently makes your argument. Milbury is wrong...plain and simple. As was Laviolette and Berube and Torts.

<< So far as your comment about Flyers fans, this is an apples to oranges comparison. Two head coaches, an assistant coach and a prominent broadcast personality called out the organization and their marquee players. This isn't perception, it's fact and it is damaging to the Pens' brand. The Pens would be wise to take this seriously and do something other than malign the sources and complain about invented offenses against their club. >>

Apples to oranges...but still fruit. Your argument...it must be true because X, Y and Z said so. Same as mine. Poll the fans of other teams and I guarantee the whiniest fan title goes to Philly. So it must be true then because enough people said so (using your rationale).

By the way, how did the Pens malign the sources? Please post the malicious comments made by the Pens in response to Laviolette, Milbury, Berube and Torts.

"Funny I don't recall Tortsie having any issues with Avery."

I don't think it's accurate to say Tortorella never had a problem with Avery. Quite the opposite. Here's just one example of many, per TSN:

"Wednesday night was as close as we've seen Sean Avery to a meltdown in hockey since he's returned to the National Hockey League.

Rangers head coach John Tortorella is furious with Avery after he squirted water inexplicably at TSN game analyst Ray Ferraro in the first period of Wednesday's game. In the third period, it really got ugly when Avery took a roughing penalty for his shot to the face of defenceman Milan Jurcina. He couldn't believe the penalty and went back to plead his case before being told to sit down and be quiet by Tortorella."

Edited by Earle'sGaffe

@Earle'sGaffe

i think the fact that Avery was banished to Rochester, might have something to do with what Torts thought of him too.

@B21

the context of the Milbury quote regarding the concussions is important here, when i read and later heard that, i took it to mean Sidney has had his share of concussions and that now that he's got the clean bill of health he's not going to engage in the scrums if he can avoid it. i didn't think that Milbury was making light of 87's concussions but actually using them to further make his point...

now what Ray Shero chose to comment on if it is indeed the same quote as the one i'm thinking about, (which is the 35 concussion comment) shows me he a.) didn't get it or b.) was looking to manipulate the conversation for his own purposes.

@B21

Milbury is in fact "prominent". If he weren't, Shero wouldn't have his panties in a bunch. The nature of Philly sports fans isn't front page news in the hockey world right now, so while deflecting this PR flap by talking about us may make you feel better, it isn't changing the news cycle.

This "35 concussions" quote is getting out of hand. It was an attempt at humor, nothing more or less. I thought it was funny and appropriate because I can't stand Sidney Crosby, but I can see how fans of his wouldn't like it. Milbury was making fun of Crosby's concussion history, yes, but imho it was about the absurdity of the media obsessing over every "development," however how small, regarding Crosby's well-being; the whole "Crosby-Countdown" was boring and dumb. That's what Milbury was making fun of I think.

OK, Van. I want to make sure I follow this.

Laviolette has a player injured by completely clean and legal hit and goes off...complaining about the Pens tactics.

Milbury, a guy known for readily changing his opinions and his (very often) off the wall and inappropriate comments, then does the same. He also adds a few concussion jabs about Crosby. Classy.

Berube takes up Milbury's cause and runs with it.

Now Tortsie, probably the biggest whiner of all NHL coaches, does the same after a borderline dirty knee-on-knee hit on his guy pretty much echoing what Laviolette and especially Milbury said a few days earlier. Legitimate beef on the hit but really nothing to do with the players he is calling out.

Smells alot like sour grapes.

Actually, it smells a lot more like a trend to me. The Pens have been getting away with murder for all this time and people are finally starting to be more vocal about it. Crosby and Malkin love to throw little cheap shots behind the play, but then they flop and cry when someone does it to them.

Did Lavy ovrreact to the hit on Briere? Probably since it was technically a clean hit, but it was done in garbage time and it got one of our good players hurt right before the playoffs. So I can see where he would be upset about it, just as i'm sure Bylsma would be upset had someone laid out Crosby in a similar situation and given him another concussion.

That does not change the fact that the little "angels" were slashing and puching the back of heads and not getting called for it. Crosby was pathetic when Schenn shoved him down. He wonders why people rip him. He had no problem hitting Schenn behind the play, but then he falls the ground like he was just shot after getting a good shove from behind. Give me a break.

Good to see people calling a spade a spade for once when it comes to the Pens and their "whining stars"

Edited by Adamflyers

Looks like other coaches in the league have finally had enough.

It's about time.

There is no dirtier team in hockey. And yet the league does next-to-nothing.

Meanwhile, the Flyers are still paying for their reputation from the BSB days. Just makes no sense.

I truly hope the Flyers destroy the Pens in the first round.

@mojo1917

<< the context of the Milbury quote regarding the concussions is important here, when i read and later heard that, i took it to mean Sidney has had his share of concussions and that now that he's got the clean bill of health he's not going to engage in the scrums if he can avoid it. i didn't think that Milbury was making light of 87's concussions but actually using them to further make his point...

now what Ray Shero chose to comment on if it is indeed the same quote as the one i'm thinking about, (which is the 35 concussion comment) shows me he a.) didn't get it or b.) was looking to manipulate the conversation for his own purposes. >>

I could not disagree more.

@B21

Milbury is in fact "prominent". If he weren't, Shero wouldn't have his panties in a bunch. The nature of Philly sports fans isn't front page news in the hockey world right now, so while deflecting this PR flap by talking about us may make you feel better, it isn't changing the news cycle.

Milbury is only "prominent" when he crosses over the line that a more respected commentator would not. That's the only time Milbury makes the headlines and the only time anyone cares what Milbury says. He crossed that line once and again and got called out on it and was told to tuck his tail between his legs and apologize. The only panties in a bunch these days apparently belong to Lavi, Berube, Briere and Torts.

Sour grapes? Please. Your team has been coddled by the league for years. In fact they were coddled all the way to a Stanley Cup. I am pretty sure Bettman's name is on the Cup right after Cindy's.

OK, Van. I want to make sure I follow this.

Laviolette has a player injured by completely clean and legal hit and goes off...complaining about the Pens tactics.

Milbury, a guy known for readily changing his opinions and his (very often) off the wall and inappropriate comments, then does the same. He also adds a few concussion jabs about Crosby. Classy.

Berube takes up Milbury's cause and runs with it.

Now Tortsie, probably the biggest whiner of all NHL coaches, does the same after a borderline dirty knee-on-knee hit on his guy pretty much echoing what Laviolette and especially Milbury said a few days earlier. Legitimate beef on the hit but really nothing to do with the players he is calling out.

Dud you're crazy...ain't nothing borderline about that hit...

....you need a trip to the eye doctor...

...seems your eye glass prescription has ran out!!!!

Sour grapes? Please. Your team has been coddled by the league for years. In fact they were coddled all the way to a Stanley Cup. I am pretty sure Bettman's name is on the Cup right after Cindy's.

@trevluk

Yeah Trev had they called Malkinstien for the instigator and the end of the game on Zetterberg, Malkin isn't around for those 2 key assist in the next game....but NAH there is no favoritism!!!!!!

@trevluk

Yeah Trev had they called Malkinstien for the instigator and the end of the game on Zetterberg, Malkin isn't around for those 2 key assist in the next game....but NAH there is no favoritism!!!!!!

They did call him for it. The league "inexplicably" overturned the suspension for game 6.

Inexplicably? BS dude...their explantion was "He didn't mean it" :P

yeah, my quotation marks were meant to imply sarcasm. It was such BS. The league got them to a game 7 but I do give the Pens credit that they pretty much played a perfect game 7.

This league has done many things to make you wonder sometimes. Like Bettman turning his back on Lindy Ruff asking why the rules were not enforced after Dallas won the Cup on an illegal goal (Infamous skate in the crease rule). The rule was stupid, but that was how it was called all year. It was perfect timing for that type of goal to happen because it put a spot light no how horrible that rule really was. It was probably what Bettman feared most, but rather then enforcing the rule like it had been all year, everyone pretended like it did not exist.

I love the sport of hockey, but the NHL is a very poorly run league!

Crosby was pathetic when Schenn shoved him down. He wonders why people rip him. He had no problem hitting Schenn behind the play, but then he falls the ground like he was just shot after getting a good shove from behind. Give me a break.

?

man

he was crosschecked from behind by a guy he didn't even know was there on his way to the bench way after the whistle. like, 10 seconds after the whistle. if you are just skating down the ice and i come up from behind and jam you in the small of the back, you are gonna fall down, too.

and of course he had no problem hitting schenn. schenn had just cleared the puck, and crosby put his shoulder into him.

a half second late hit on schenn by crosby is the worst thing ever, and crosby falling down after a ninja crosscheck is the other worse thing ever.

people, this is embarrassing. the amount of baseless whining coming out of the flyers fan base about crosby makes all the crying to the refs he does look downright dignified. hate the guy. hate the team. but good lord, stop trying to justify it with this 6 yearold playground crap.

• Like 1

@B21

Its not sour grapes. Its just a long overdue coming out party for two of the biggest hacks in the league. Nobody will deny the skill. Two of the best players in the league. Yet both players have chosen to play a style that is below board. It is the same lament with Ovechkin- but even worse. Ovechkin consistently "charges" players. You take a player like Datsyuk, the Sedins, Stamkos and even Giroux. All elite talents and they don't 10% of the crap that Crosby and Malkin do. For too long now there has been a ridiculous level of protection for both players and its about time for it to stop. You got your cup (gifted by the league) and there is not further reason to continue this coveting and blind eye by the league.

I never want to see ANY player get hurt. However, with all the antics that BOTH Crosby and Malkin pull and the hypocrisy that they demonstrate, I would not shed a single tear if either or both of them were laid out (with a legal hit).

Its not sour grapes of jealousy, but just a utter disdain for the character of players they are. Its not entirely their fault as the NHL has assisted in perpetrating their styles. I know you are a pittsburgh fan and thus have some tainted glasses. What kind of player punches a guy in the balls or in the back of the head multiple times when the other player engaged with another player?

@pilldoc

"How can you honestly defend Crosby slashing away during the last Flyers game. For gods sake he broke his stick over Vorachek and no call."

....and then crying "poor me" after the game to only come out the following day and openly admit he is a hack. That is the problem. I could care less if he is a hack (and malkin), but stop all the whining and crying and this "poor me" shtick. Their have been lots of great talents in the league that play on the edge and dirty (lindros, clarke, messier, forsberg, etc.). Yet never in my life have I seen players that play that style and then always cry "poor me" all the time.

If you want to play that way, fine. Nut up and STFU and take your comeuppance like a man. The league is as much to blame as the players.

I couldn't agree more with Torts, the pens are always whining and crying when their "Superstar" / "face of the NHL" / "Best player in the world" gets one scratch on him, or if some one slightly brushes up against him in a game, But they have no problem going after people and doing extremely dirty hits and plays against other people all the time. The Pens get away with everything and I'm sick and tired of it. I'm glad that Tortorella is now the 4th or 5th person that has brought it up and said smething about it recently. The league really needs to open their eyes a little bit and put an end to all this bullcrap.

I garuntee the next headline will say "Tortorella fined $10,000 by the NHL for post games comments."

This is the kind of things that I cannot stand about the league & it angers me to no end.