Breaking: Flyers agree to multi-year extension with Grossman

Guest jkearse123

that's seems reasonable to me 3.5, i like his game. he's what the team needs since cp might be done. now we need to either resign carle at a cap friendly price or overpay for nashville carle, i think they're the same player, and if we can get one for like 1.5 million less a year, than the other that's who i want. that gd wisnewski deal f'd us all.

I'd still like to keep Carle, especially over Suter, but this contract just prices Carle even higher. Grossman, while I like his game, a lot, it is not generally thought of as valuable in monetary terms. He adds virtually nothing to the offense. 3.5 seems a little high, unless the salary cap continues going up - which everything I've read suggests the opposite as soon as next season.

I'd still like to keep Carle, especially over Suter, but this contract just prices Carle even higher. Grossman, while I like his game, a lot, it is not generally thought of as valuable in monetary terms. He adds virtually nothing to the offense. 3.5 seems a little high, unless the salary cap continues going up - which everything I've read suggests the opposite as soon as next season.

With our talented forwards, I'm very OK with someone who clears the crease, hits like a truck, blocks a ton of shots and is tough playing a role of a stay-at-home defense type player.

I doubt we'll go after Suter, nor do I want the Flyers to go after him or to resign Carle. Rather give a cheaper contract to Kubina, and roll with

Timo-Meszaros

Grossman-Coburn

MAB-Kubina

next year, and reallocate the difference between Carle and Kubina towards resigning Voracek and maybe Jagr. Voracek has gotta be the team's #1 priority now.

With our talented forwards, I'm very OK with someone who clears the crease, hits like a truck, blocks a ton of shots and is tough playing a role of a stay-at-home defense type player.

I doubt we'll go after Suter, nor do I want the Flyers to go after him or to resign Carle. Rather give a cheaper contract to Kubina, and roll with

Timo-Meszaros

Grossman-Coburn

MAB-Kubina

next year, and reallocate the difference between Carle and Kubina towards resigning Voracek and maybe Jagr. Voracek has gotta be the team's #1 priority now.

This...agree totally. Grossmann is something this team was missing.

Good work Homer. $14 over 4 years is a win:win I think. My only concern is if it means losing Carle, who at this point is a pretty reliable 40-point D-man. Guys like that don't grow on trees.

If Mez picks it up, Coburn too - offensively - we should be fine. But 40 points from the back end is a lot to lose.

My only concern is if it means losing Carle, who at this point is a pretty reliable 40-point D-man.

Yeah, but he is also a pretty reliable defensive liability. Frankly, he drives me nuts at times. What this tells me is that they have hopes that either Bourdon or Gustafsson - or actually both - will make the roster next season. Any you know what? I am quite OK with that. Carle, will be looking for a raise, and considering how so-so of a season he just had, I just can't see the Flyers resigning him.

Good work Homer. $14 over 4 years is a win:win I think. My only concern is if it means losing Carle, who at this point is a pretty reliable 40-point D-man. Guys like that don't grow on trees.

If Mez picks it up, Coburn too - offensively - we should be fine. But 40 points from the back end is a lot to lose.

It's not just the points, it's also moving the puck and passing. Coburn can get the puck up the ice from time to time, but he has basically zero offensive instincts. Mez is better offensively but doesn't skate and pass as well as Carle. If the Flyers lose Carle, that leaves them with Timo as a real puck-mover (assuming Pronger is done) and whatever Gus can contribute. Carle is also solid in his own end, more so than he gets credit for. I don't see anyone currently under contract with the Flyers that will make up what the team would lose if Carle walks.

Carle is NOT the defensive liability people make him out to be. There have been several threads about this already talking about his outlet passes, Corsi numbers, etc etc. Everyone puts him alone under a magnifying glass for no reason, and waits for him to screw up, which everyone does at some point in time. When you're looking for things, you're bound to find them.

Carle, by the by, leads the team by a large margin in blocked shots (according to yahoo sports). 161. Timonen is second on the team at 129. I guess by extension, Timonen belongs in the AHL.

According to NHL.com stats amongst Flyers defenseman, Carle also ranks first in time on ice and shifts per game. If he plays today, he will be the only one to play every game this season - durable. He also has been on ice for only seven power play goals against. SEVEN. In 81 games. Next closest of the regulars is Mesz, at 16, in 61 games.

• Like 1

That's right Jack - I agree. Who's our "puck-moving D-man" after Carle? Kimmo right? But he's running on fumes at this point and next year won't be better it'll be worse. Gus may not make the team out of camp. I like his speed and he can pass the puck but he's also small, on the weak side and prone to rookie mistakes - much more so than MAB. He's got a shot but I'd give Manning an equal look if I had my way.

Back to the points. Like you said Mez has an offensive upside but it's hit-n-miss; we can't rely on him to put up Carle-like points. I like his drive, his energy when he's on his game, but he also turns in quite a few "Where is his head?" games.

I see what MadDog sees too - Carle drives me a little crazy sometimes, especially earlier this year. But the past couple months he eliminated those up-the-gut-passes-to-nobody turnovers and he looks pretty solid to me now.

If Carle walks I think fans are going to miss him without really knowing they're missing him.

I have no problem keeping Carle - the problem is making it work under the cap.

It would be great to be able to keep everyone and buy whatever we want - but we can't.

Flyers have $19.8M in defense signed for next season - not including Pronger. Timonen/Meszaros/Grossmann/Lilja (35+)/Coburn/Manning (Manning is $900K). Pronger's $4.9M is taken by the 10% exemption, but I'm not sure on timing when that expires and LTIR begins (anyone?).

$28.75M in forwards - Briere/Hartnell/Giroux/JVR/Talbot/Simmonds/Couturier/Shelley/Read/Schenn. Need to re-sign Voracek and at least one other (Sestito, Jagr).

$7.417M in G.

$55.967 with about $6M to spend (plus any increase) to re-sign Voracek, Jagr(or other forward?) and... Carle?

Doesn't work in my book. Keep in mind that Pronger's $5M is assumed to be taken up by the summer exemption and immediately translated into LTIR.

I have no problem keeping Carle - the problem is making it work under the cap.

It would be great to be able to keep everyone and buy whatever we want - but we can't.

Flyers have $19.8M in defense signed for next season - not including Pronger. Timonen/Meszaros/Grossmann/Lilja (35+)/Coburn/Manning (Manning is $900K). Pronger's $4.9M is taken by the 10% exemption, but I'm not sure on timing when that expires and LTIR begins (anyone?).

$28.75M in forwards - Briere/Hartnell/Giroux/JVR/Talbot/Simmonds/Couturier/Shelley/Read/Schenn. Need to re-sign Voracek and at least one other (Sestito, Jagr).

$7.417M in G.

$55.967 with about $6M to spend (plus any increase) to re-sign Voracek, Jagr(or other forward?) and... Carle?

Doesn't work in my book. Keep in mind that Pronger's $5M is assumed to be taken up by the summer exemption and immediately translated into LTIR.

I agree. Thas why i posted in Spinoramas thread about the Grossmann signing about the possibility of JVR being moved for picks to free up some money for Carle.

I would ask Briere to retire. That solves the top line minutes for young guys problem, the where does Briere fit problem, and the salary cap problem. Let him do player development, continue to house a young guy if he chooses, etc. He's not a 35+ contract, so that cap hit should come off the books if I recall correctly. Saves 6.5m and a roster spot with the only costs of his contract against the 50 limit, and the 5m TOTAL he is still owed for the next two seasons.

I agree. Thas why i posted in Spinoramas thread about the Grossmann signing about the possibility of JVR being moved for picks to free up some money for Carle.

Then you need to replace JVR.

JVR isn't going to get much as damaged goods with a concussion history at this point. He's going to have to go out and prove he's strong enough to play this game before anyone's going to give up much for him (IMO).

Let's entertain the notion - Carle signs for JVR's $4.25M ($800K raise). That's $22.58M in six defensemen - $3.76M avg. It would be a sick deep defense, no question. Your third pair is making about $7M.

Now you've got $24.5 in nine forwards, needing to sign 3 including RFA Voracek and (potentially) UFA Jagr with the same $6M (plus increase) you had to sign Voracek and Jagr before. We're also counting on a regular shift from Jody Shelley... Zolnierczyk ($900K) and Sestito ($550K) are RFA, do we count on Wellwood ($580K) and Rinaldo ($544K) on regular basis?

I think Shelley's time might finally be up over the summer, but that still only opens up about enough to keep Wellwood and Rinaldo on a regular basis.

I would ask Briere to retire. That solves the top line minutes for young guys problem, the where does Briere fit problem, and the salary cap problem. Let him do player development, continue to house a young guy if he chooses, etc. He's not a 35+ contract, so that cap hit should come off the books if I recall correctly. Saves 6.5m and a roster spot with the only costs of his contract against the 50 limit, and the 5m TOTAL he is still owed for the next two seasons.

You can safely be sure that the Flyers will not "ask Briere to retire."