Breaking: Flyers agree to multi-year extension with Grossman

Guest jkearse123

with grossmanN... flyers are committed to $62.1m in cap for next year. we're right up against it, but LTIR will give them some room. it's widely believed carle will test FA this summer, so he's most likely gone. I think that's why the flyers decided to use some cap space to retain grossmanN.

we'd probably be better off trying to think of some cheaper options on defense.

You can safely be sure that the Flyers will not "ask Briere to retire."

Not gonna happen.

I agree, the Flyers probably (certainly) wouldn't do that, but I would consider it. His cap hit to production is not favorable to the team, and he's already made most of the money on the contract. Do you think he's going to play a hard as a 6.5m guy would? For 3m and then 2m? Didn't think so.

---

By the way, I did misread the chart - he has three years left, and next season is 7m. Then the 3m and 2m. I'm not changing the prior posts because that doesn't really change my opinion. He isn't backchecking at 7m, who knows what he'll do with another year and decreasing actual salary.

I agree, the Flyers probably (certainly) wouldn't do that, but I would consider it. His cap hit to production is not favorable to the team, and he's already made most of the money on the contract. Do you think he's going to play a hard as a 6.5m guy would? For 3m and then 2m? Didn't think so.

---

By the way, I did misread the chart - he has three years left, and next season is 7m. Then the 3m and 2m. I'm not changing the prior posts because that doesn't really change my opinion. He isn't backchecking at 7m, who knows what he'll do with another year and decreasing actual salary.

That's the nature of the deal they signed.

Are you going to be happy with JVR next season because he's "only making" $2M? Didn't think so :-)

Danny Briere was never known as a tenacious backchecker, nor to be very good at faceoffs. Which is why they decided they "had to sign" him to be the "#1 Center" they were missing.

Then convert him to wing.

Could be worse - they could have paid more for Gomez or Drury...

Danny Briere is what he is, and he's not going anywhere.

I just can't see how Matt Carle fits under the cap without a big increase. If you want to talk moving Meszaros or Coburn to keep Carle, that makes more sense from a cap perspective. But I like both of their defensive play much better than Carle's and they can both handle the puck, if not as smoothly...

That's right Jack - I agree. Who's our "puck-moving D-man" after Carle? Kimmo right? But he's running on fumes at this point and next year won't be better it'll be worse. Gus may not make the team out of camp. I like his speed and he can pass the puck but he's also small, on the weak side and prone to rookie mistakes - much more so than MAB. He's got a shot but I'd give Manning an equal look if I had my way.

Back to the points. Like you said Mez has an offensive upside but it's hit-n-miss; we can't rely on him to put up Carle-like points. I like his drive, his energy when he's on his game, but he also turns in quite a few "Where is his head?" games.

I see what MadDog sees too - Carle drives me a little crazy sometimes, especially earlier this year. But the past couple months he eliminated those up-the-gut-passes-to-nobody turnovers and he looks pretty solid to me now.

If Carle walks I think fans are going to miss him without really knowing they're missing him.

Here's the problem with Carle. He is a good player and can put some points up. There are at least a few teams that will realize that. I think he is going to get a $4.5 to 5 million offer from another team in the offseason. I wouldn't pay him that to stay in Philly. And we havne't been hurting to score when you look at the season as a whole. We have needed D who can clear the net and take the body. We now have that locked up for 4 years. We will get either Kubina or Carle, but not both. I think Kubina ends up being the route the Flyers go with.

Yeah, but he is also a pretty reliable defensive liability. Frankly, he drives me nuts at times. What this tells me is that they have hopes that either Bourdon or Gustafsson - or actually both - will make the roster next season. Any you know what? I am quite OK with that. Carle, will be looking for a raise, and considering how so-so of a season he just had, I just can't see the Flyers resigning him.

Great signing by Homer, as for Carle the UFA defensemen market is slim picking. Which means that some team will give Carle a $5 million per year contract which should knock the Flyers out of the running for his services. I'd be fine with Kubina as a 3rd pairing defenseman who would play with Bourdon as long as it is a reasonable cap hit, if he gets higher offers elsewhere then so be it. Could JVR be trade bait for a top 4 defenseman especially if Carle signs elsewhere.

We will get either Kubina or Carle, but not both. I think Kubina ends up being the route the Flyers go with.

I think that Kubina may be willing to take a reasonable contract, especially if Jagr (and to a lesser extent Voracek) is here. Also pending on how the playoff run goes.

I don't think he gets any offer near $3.8M again.

Having him as a third pair guy with Gus ($900K signed) or MAB ($875K RFA) would be a nice pair IMO.

It's not just the points, it's also moving the puck and passing. Coburn can get the puck up the ice from time to time, but he has basically zero offensive instincts. Mez is better offensively but doesn't skate and pass as well as Carle. If the Flyers lose Carle, that leaves them with Timo as a real puck-mover (assuming Pronger is done) and whatever Gus can contribute. Carle is also solid in his own end, more so than he gets credit for. I don't see anyone currently under contract with the Flyers that will make up what the team would lose if Carle walks.

It would be a big loss if they stay pat otherwise. I suppose if they signed Suter that would replace his minutes but even then, I'm not familiar enough with Suter's game to know if he is as effective as Carle carrying the puck and in his own end.

BTW, I see Pronger as a puck mover but not much for carrying the puck past his own blue line. Great with the long pass though.

I would ask Briere to retire. That solves the top line minutes for young guys problem, the where does Briere fit problem, and the salary cap problem. Let him do player development, continue to house a young guy if he chooses, etc. He's not a 35+ contract, so that cap hit should come off the books if I recall correctly. Saves 6.5m and a roster spot with the only costs of his contract against the 50 limit, and the 5m TOTAL he is still owed for the next two seasons.

Sorry bro aint' going to happen.

Briere needs to do one thing this off season that you can tell he didn't do this past off season. TRAIN!!!!

And that is be more committed to getting stronger and in better shape.

I know his life has changed dramatically after splitting with his wife and he has to take care of his 2 boys but he needs to find time to train MORE.

Him keeping his sons i'm sure kept him from training like he as done in the past and to me is the #1 contributor to his up and down season.

Losing Leino and Hartsy didn't help but his lack of conditioning is so apparent to me.

I know for myself if i had to take care of my little girl (11months old now) and work without my wife my health and sleep would take a toll and it would show itself on my job.

But thank God i have my WONDERFUL supporting wife to take care of my darling.

So with that said Danny take care of his boys has jumped to the for front and it is showing in his game.

Here's to hoping he can find a good girlfriend to help out!!! If so and he trains right he will return to form.

I think Kubina ends up being the route the Flyers go with.

Unless he significantly picks it up, I say no thanks. He's been slow, prone to turnovers and hasn't scared anyone. He's not top 4 and we've got Lilja, MAB and what have you under contract already to play play 5-6 minutes.