Torts fined $20K

Guest sarsippius

http://aol.sportingn...l-playoffs-2012

Uh, wow.

On Friday afternoon, Sidney Crosby said that he was sure Rangers coach John Tortorella would apologize for a postgame rant the night before targeting the Penguins.

That hasn't happened, but Tortorella still might be sorry: The NHL announced that Tortorella was fined $20,000 for his comments. Tortorella got rolling after a question about Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik's knee-on-knee hit on Rangers forward Derek Stepan

87445-330-0.jpgJohn Tortorella paid for his comments on Thursday night. (AP Photo)

"It's a cheap, dirty hit. I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there," Tortorella told reporters, referring to Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Tortorella didn't stop with Orpik, who received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for the hit, which occurred with less than five minutes left in the Penguins' 5-2 win.

"It's one of the most arrogant organizations in the league. They whine about this stuff all the time, and look what happens," Tortorella said.

"They'll whine about something else over there, won't they, starting with their two (expletive) stars."

Tortorella, NBC Sports analyst Mike Milbury and Philadelphia Flyers coaches Peter Laviolette and Craig Berube have all, in some form, criticized Crosby and the Penguins in the last week.

Crosby and coach Dan Bylsma both characterized Tortorella's comments as "gamesmanship" and an attempt to influence officials. Tortorella did say that he was anxious to see how the league would respond to Orpik's hit.

Orpik, for the record, is unlikely to face supplemental discipline. Stepan missed practice on Friday, but his injury isn't serious, Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh told reporters.

Tortorella, whose team has clinched first place in the Eastern Conference, was fined $30,000 earlier this season for calling the officiating at the Winter Classic "disgusting."

Read more:

http://aol.sportingn...2#ixzz1rIp3HUgo

10K more than Lavy. He earned every dollar of it. It was well worth what he said. I guess Buttman really wants to protect the pens organization.

it's a shame that it's becoming apparent eh?

And in my opinion, I'm not so sure there's a reason for the fine. Aside from saying that he was anxious to see what the league planned on doing about it, I really don't see any reason for the fine. I didn't realize these coaches couldn't say anything negative about anybody...

OH RIGHT! he slandered the NHL darling. woops

Aside from saying that he was anxious to see what the league planned on doing about it, I really don't see any reason for the fine. I didn't realize these coaches couldn't say anything negative about anybody...

That's what was so surprising for me as well. You go through his comments, and Torts doesn't say a thing about the refs or the nhl, just about the pens. I cannot understand the justification for the fine at all, except that the complaints were directed at Pittsburgh. Since when does 'gamesmanship' get punished?

• Like 1

i find the decision to fine fonzi pretty laughable.

i mean it's not like he's going all ric flair about the situation. it's gamesman ship mixed with some emotion, stephan is a good player for them ,and i'm sure he's not pleased with not having him available to dress.

is it a coincidence that the flyers and rangers have both lost players to questionable hits vs the pens ? i mean probably they're all saints, who play "the right way" according to @aziz.

20000 is a lot of suits and pommade, it's crap, and in other news crosby just said he's done talking about it for the 8th time, somehow though he continues to have words come out of his mouth that deal with this very subject.

is he like paris hilton ? if we just quit giving a f uck does he go away ?

let's try it.

Edited by mojo1917

is he like paris hilton ? if we just quit giving a f uck does he go away ?

let's try it.

i think there would be a better chance for a certain member from upstate new york to get the nobel peace prise for finding the cure for mental stability

i think there would be a better chance for a certain member from upstate new york to get the nobel peace prise for finding the cure for mental stability

Reading this while picturing his face from the photo he posted of himself makes this comment priceless.

Does it strike anyone else as oddly contradictory that the league has fined Torterella for supposedly inappropriate comments, yet they have the video of his rant posted on the NHL website? You'd think if what he had to say was really so offensive, they wouldn't be broadcasting it to the entire civilized world.

• Like 1

Lavvy goes apesh*it on the bench and Torts somewhat calmly tells it like is and that is worth double the fine?

Was it because Bettman saw the interview where Crosby says getting called a whiny punk for seven years "gets old"?

With Lavvy, Berube, Milbury, Tortorella, that makes at least four public figures calling out the Penguins organization and it's players in less than a week. What does Mayor Nutter or Governor Corbett have to say about it? I can't wait to hear Don Cherry's take.

It looks like, sounds like and smells like a whiny cheating ... Penguin.

Torts is a 'repeat offender', somewhat recently. He shouldn't have been fined at all, I think he was careful enough. It seemed really weird how Crosby knew something was going to happen to Torts (though guessing apology over fine was wrong)...

@TedZep

I'm not shocked. I didn't notice in the CBA that you are not allowed to make a negative comment about Crosby. Soon they'll be getting penalized on ice for trash talking him.

Here's a quick message to the NHL: A lot of fans don't like this whiney little phony that you chose to be your spokesperson. Stop cramming him down our throats. We're not buying what you're selling with this kid. Not interested. Can we please just watch some fair games? Can we see all the teams? Can we see all the good players? Just enough of this f-ing garbage.

It's sickening how transparent the league has become in protecting and favoring this Pittsburgh team. Mario's non-stop whining payed dividents, obviously.

It's bad enough they virtually HANDED the Cup to this team by officitating with such a gross bias when they should've lost to Detroit. But God forbid to even talk negatively about the team...

And the whole concept of not allowing people to express what they think is actually in conflict with the very notion of democracy the USA (and I am sure Canada) were built on. WTF is their rationale for shutting people up who dare to express how they feel about a certain player or a franchise... especially if what they say is true.

And they wonder why NHL is the least popular professional sport league in North America and why hockey continues losing their fans. I mean really....... what this league is doing is unconstitutional.

Really makes me wanna puke.

Edited by Mad Dog

I can't wait to hear Don Cherry's take.

Follow up:

“A long time ago when Crosby was coming out I tried to warn him ‘quit diving, quit whining,’ I was the worst guy in the world ... and all I was trying to do was help him,” Cherry said.

“All I said was stop whining, stop diving and snapping the head back.”

Cherry says that Crosby is being targeted by opponents because they don’t respect him.

"You cannot be the greatest player in the world and expect to get a free ride. And what you’ve done, you’ve turned the league and teams against you.”