Somebody tried to tell me Malkin wasn't a dirty player.

Guest Irishjim

@B21

I covered what i had to say in my first post...the second post was just poking at your desire to respond to anything anti-Penguin. Cheers.

I was never offended. And if I responded to every anti-Penguin thread I'd be here 24/7.

He will throw an elbow or do a knee-to-knee stuff in just about every other game. But he hardly ever gets called for that. Yet when Brenden Morrow or Corey Perry, or Ryan Callahan, for example, do that, they will get whistled every single time. Why Malkin cannot be regarded as a repeat offender? Why do refs choose to turn the other way when he does it? Can you please explain?

well, wait. are we talking about getting whistled for stuff, or getting suspended for stuff? whistled for stuff, that takes us back to square one: i don't think malkin gets whistled any less than anyone else. outside of the eagers/carcillos/averys of the league. you don't average 1 PIM/gm over your career because no one is putting you in the box. malkin sat for crosschecking in that last game. he had a total of 12 PIMs in 6 games against the flyers this season. callahan only had 4.

suspensions for stuff, none of the above were suspended this season, so far as i can recall.

@aziz

To be fair, I don't have stats to back up my contention. This is more qualitative than quantitative. I watched a fair share of games this season, and I saw him throwing elbows left and right. I saw him instigating. I saw him punching or even spearing, and not getting called for even 2 minutes minor. Again, I cannot attach any videos or even periodicals, so if you or B21 want to call these unsubstantiated statements on my part, that's more than fair. Yet, when known NHL pests (mind you, not "dirty" players of Matt Cook's caliber, but just players who "play on the edge") do it.... like Perry, Callahan, Lucic, and Morrow, they would get whistled for a minor... and depending on the severity would get suspended as well.

Sure, Malkin has accumulated decent PIM this season. That's hard to argue with. But what are those? Tripping, obstruction, boarding? Or more egregious/blatant stuff? I am not challenging your opinion; this is an honest question because again, those games I did watch the Pens play, I saw him getting away with something that an ordinary non-star player will not.

But it stands to reason that when other NHL figures are calling him dirty, there must be some truth to that. And that was actually the topic of this very thread. I am, for one, is guilty for sending it off-track. So…………. Can we agree that he is a dirty player?

Sure, Malkin has accumulated decent PIM this season. That's hard to argue with. But what are those? Tripping, obstruction, boarding? Or more egregious/blatant stuff? I am not challenging your opinion; this is an honest question because again, those games I did watch the Pens play, I saw him getting away with something that an ordinary non-star player will not

well, running through the game logs for those 6 flyers-pens games: 1 trip, 2 hooks, 1 goalie interference, 1 elbow, 1 crosscheck. so, that's pretty for real stuff, overall. without actually doing all the math, i'm going to go out on a limb and say he was probably the most penalized player in the matchup over the season, if we ignore fighting majors and misconducts. hartnell, who i at first thought would have that title, had 10 minutes in minors and a 10 min misconduct. malkin was sent to the box more often. and hartnell is digging and whacking at guys non-stop.

But it stands to reason that when other NHL figures are calling him dirty, there must be some truth to that. And that was actually the topic of this very thread. I am, for one, is guilty for sending it off-track. So…………. Can we agree that he is a dirty player?

yes, we can agree there.

1971! 1979! Finally found a baseball fan I can take a shot at!

I did love the Earl Weaver segment in Ken Burns' Baseball.

the 79 series was heartbreaking for me... i was just a tyke but those O's were my boys...

truth be told I had a pretty good baseball youth, the phillies were really good as were the O's my only hope was they wouldn't ever meet in the WS and then 83 happened. it was like being a child of an english father and irish mother so much self loathing....

@aziz The whole PIM thing is misleading, as are many subjective stats. You're patient and massage numbers to show what you want. The Flyers still had 173 more PIMs than the second place team in the league - and refs have a knack for calling a few garbage ones to even up the box score. That's how you get your opposing PIMs running higher than 'average'.

what's the time for each?

no idea. i do know that the flyers huge PIM total includes 21 10-minute misconducts, 6 more than the next closest. 210 PIMs with no on-ice manpower loss. plus 57 fighting majors.

Spread of 16 occurances...since you seem to have EVERY stat readily available, what's the time for each?

NHL.com has just about every stat you can come up with. You can sort by total PP time minus total PK time. Flyers are 7th at +36:50. The leader (surrisingly i/m/o) is the Blue Jackets who had over 102 more minutes of time on the PP than they did on the PK. Go figure. Pens are 13th...+6:39. Colorado is last at -114:00.