Kubina is a Healthy Scratch for tonight

Guest Bakanekimiwa

but then why would he be listed as a 'healthy scratch'?

because its the playoffs, and injury reporting largely disappears. Lilja, to my amazement, has been the better dman over the last couple weeks of the season. Kubina has looked painfully slow, so I suspect its a nagging sort of injury that just wont get reported.

• Like 2

@Podein25

Just an off the cuff thought:

Maybe Lilja is expendable and a message is meant to be sent tonight physically and backlash is expected so rather than sacrifice Kubina, they can toss Lilja out there to just hammer certain individuals without suffering the loss of Kubina for a game for it.

Doubtful, but just a thought.

as per servalli on twitter.

very very strange. bourdon AND Lilja over kubina!? wtf

There isn't anything deep going on here: Kubina has been at best tentative and at times, brutal. Seems like every game I've seen him in since he rejoined the line up he's committed a gaffe that's ended up in the back of our net. In the season finale, he failed to control Arron Asham along the half wall who fed Pascal Dupuis for the Pens' first goal. He's been consistently surrendering chances. Bourdon has been much better since being called up this time and deserves to be in the line up tonight.

• Like 1

He's [Lilja] been consistently surrendering chances. Bourdon has been much better since being called up this time and deserves to be in the line up tonight.

No doubt he's been pretty so-so since he got to Philly. The first few games he looked like he meant business and then he just tailed off to nothing, clumsy with the puck, tentative on the breakout passes and slower than Pronger skating backward.

I guess what I'm hoping is he's fine, 100% healthy, and this was Lavy's way of telling him, "that crap you were pulling the final 20 games? that's ain't gonna cut it."

No word on MAB yet so maybe Kubina gets his chance Friday. Like Podes said he's got to have a few weeks of intense PO hockey left in him. He's old and showing it, but this time of year is when you go all out and to hell with aches and pains - Let's Go Flyers!

Lilja played one of his best games as a Flyer last night. Bourdon's "injury," but more importantly his disappointing play in the game--a little nervous I think, will mean Kubina in on Friday. If Lilja repeats his performance I'd be fine with that huge--massive 3rd D pairing for us. Kubina's been pretty brutal, but if his brings some physicality and doesn't turn the puck over, it won't be a huge drop-off. His big right shot might be nice too. But it's clear that Mez needs to get healthy.

No doubt he's been pretty so-so since he got to Philly. The first few games he looked like he meant business and then he just tailed off to nothing, clumsy with the puck, tentative on the breakout passes and slower than Pronger skating backward.

I guess what I'm hoping is he's fine, 100% healthy, and this was Lavy's way of telling him, "that crap you were pulling the final 20 games? that's ain't gonna cut it."

No word on MAB yet so maybe Kubina gets his chance Friday. Like Podes said he's got to have a few weeks of intense PO hockey left in him. He's old and showing it, but this time of year is when you go all out and to hell with aches and pains - Let's Go Flyers!

I should have mentioned that he's probably hurt too.