Realignment approved by NHL Board of Governors

Guest Poulin20

<< Carolina/Islanders simply aren't going to be able to do that. >>

It's the AL East of hockey.

great comparison! Of couse, in the AL East Tampa with one of the most godawful stadiums in the league is competitive while the Orioles with the original "beautiful new stadium" is basically drawing flies...

Also, too, I totally forgot the Tronno Blue Jayes were in the AL East.

So we play the Penguins or a NY team every single year in the first round? That won't get old, fast. It doesn't say how the 2nd round plays out. Hopefully you can play out of your "conference" by then. So if the divisions are "conferences", what are the conferences now called...and why? Phoenix will be moved out of the Wayne Gretzky conference to Quebec City and plugged into the Bruins, or Bobby Orr conference. Detroit will play in the Gordie Howe. We will play in the Mike Milbury conference. Or maybe they'll name it after our GM, the NMC conference.

So we play the Penguins or a NY team every single year in the first round? That won't get old, fast. It doesn't say how the 2nd round plays out. Hopefully you can play out of your "conference" by then. So if the divisions are "conferences", what are the conferences now called...and why? Phoenix will be moved out of the Wayne Gretzky conference to Quebec City and plugged into the Bruins, or Bobby Orr conference. Detroit will play in the Gordie Howe. We will play in the Mike Milbury conference. Or maybe they'll name it after our GM, the NMC conference.

First and second, though it's not guaranteed to be the Pens or an NY team. Could be Washington or Carolina. And it is the first two rounds.

Round 1: Conference playoff. 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3.

Round 2: Conference championship. 1/4 vs. 2/3.

Round 3: Conference champions playoff. Nobody's quite sure how this will go. Could be the teams are seeded by record, 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3. Could be (less likely) the two "East" conferences face off, as do the two "West" conferences. Could also be rotational, where our conference plays (picking teams since there are no names) Boston's one year, Detroit's the next, and Vancouver's the last, etc. I expect, and hope, that it'll be champs seeded by record.

Round 4: Stanley Cup Finals.

As to names, I still say Smythe, Norris, Adams, Patrick, based on where the majority of teams in the conference played when those names were last used (so, our conference would be the Patrick, Boston's the Adams, Detroit's the Norris, and Vancouver's the Smythe.)

But I did hear an alternate suggestion that amused me: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.

<< Round 3: Conference champions playoff. Nobody's quite sure how this will go. Could be the teams are seeded by record, 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3. Could be (less likely) the two "East" conferences face off, as do the two "West" conferences. >>

I think it's the former. Once you have the 4 winners from each "conference" playoff, they reseed regardless of geography. Basically, the Pens and Flyers will never play for a Cup under this system but the Bruins and Flyers could.

@dilbert719

So theoretically, if someday the Flyers, Pens Rangers and say Caps end up 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall in points, only one of the top 4 teams will be left after the 2nd round? That's awesome.

Theoretically, though all four teams would need to be so obscenely strong that they lose almost nothing outside of splitting the games against each other.

I wouldn't worry too much, though; the league changes playoff systems and structures seemingly every expansion, or every other CBA, so in a few years' time, we'll probably have moved on again to something more to your liking.

The one thing that COULD result in some tweaks is the NHLPA. So far, they haven't had their say on this issue yet. I'm thinking they are going to ask for something to be modified/changed. Just so it appears they've had some input into the process.