Carter & Richards who?

Guest off_the_post

Probably Kubina. Bigger body can take the punishment of the series, plus a good point shot.

Ugh.

Slow in the skates and helmet, and recently weak positioning. I'd rather Matt Walker at this point, but I don't think he is playoff eligible.

Not for nothin', but Carter and Richards combined to score the Kings' first goal vs. the Canucks.

What a great story it would be if the Flyers and the former Kings met the Kings and the former Flyers in the Cup finals!

• Like 4

Carter & Richards are a HUGE reason why the Kings won tonight.

Richards was a beast - he took over that game in the 3rd. That hit he put on Burroughs (or whoever it was) with about a minute to go was a thing of beauty.

Very happy for them.

Hope to see a Philly vs. LA Finals!

@AndyS, @All

I still really like Richards as a player. He didn't have his best year this year, but he is a gamer when it comes to the playoffs.

Having said that, I think we are just starting to scratch the surface regarding what Schenn can do. I never knew he had so much sand paper to his game to go along with his skills. I think we can all see (and believe) now why scouts were touting him as the best player not playing in the NHL when the trade occurred.

Then you look at Simmonds, who I thought was just a throw in to that trade and 3rd line mucker / grinder and you just have to go wow- and he too is only going to get better.

I think in 2-3 years from now when people look at some of the most lopsided trades in recent history and you put go Richards / Carter for Simmonds, Schenn, 2nd round pick (which basically got us grossman), Couturier and Voracek, folks will scratch their heads.

We WILL have the BEST center ice in the league and add in two top 6 wingers. It makes you just go wow.

If Homer does not win GM of the year for those two trades alone, I will be stunned.

• Like 4

I still really like Richards as a player. He didn't have his best year this year, but he is a gamer when it comes to the playoffs.

He sure is. Hell he's a "gamer" every night really. Yes it went a little sour in Philly but I don't believe for a second he's a "party guy" first and hockey is 2nd. I figure there must've been a bunch of stuff going on with him and the Flyers - stuff we never heard about - that made it impossible for him in Philly. God bless him, we're both in better places now. Carter too, now that he's in L.A.

• Like 2

@Vanflyer

You're starting to see the Richards comparison in Schenn. This guy scored more points in one WJHC tournament than any other Canadian ever. He sparked that team last night with some big hits, some nice passes and a beautiful tip off a great pass from Hartnell. You have to love the fact he goes after Crosby whenever he can. And then you have Couturier doing the same with Malkin. They (87 &71) may have had a great first period last night (it would have helped if Bryz could have stopped a beachball) but they were pretty much nonfactors after that.

@All, just to clarify I've always liked and supported R&C and never requested a trade however I was very happy with the return. I think Voreck was a huge pick up provided we can resign him when he becomes a restricted free agent. I think the point of my brief post, which Vanflyer expanded, is that the trade has really worked out. Normally it takes years to see if the team getting the younger players in a trade make the trade a win/lose but we are seeing the results very early.

Philly/LA final would be great - actually Philly vs. anybody would be great.

You have to love the fact he goes after Crosby whenever he can. And then you have Couturier doing the same with Malkin.

As awesome as the comeback was, scoring 4 unanswered against the Penguins in their barn - THAT was the most impressive part of last night for me, the defensive work by Schenn and Couturier. We've seen it before with Couturier on Malkin but now that Schenn is healthy and cranking on all cylinders those 2 are incredibly effective on Cros / Malkin.

@canoli

Yes, as good of seasons as Voracek and Simmonds are having (and they both are playing better than I would have thought) Schenn and Couturier are the key ingredients to this trade. We lucked out on #14 falling to us, but Richards does not get traded for Wayne Simmonds and ANY prospect.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

Sadly my exposure to Juniors has greatly diminished because of where I live now. So I never was able to see Schenn in the WJHC.

All that said, I think he actually is better than Richards (and that is not a slight to Richards). Albeit, he has not put up any numbers yet to support that. I think he is a much stronger passer AND finisher than Richards. Add in the items you and I both mentioned regarding his "edge" play (which is on par with Richards) and I see all the makings for a player that everyone will hate to play against.

I guess my aside question would be what is up with his brother Luke?? If Luke played with half the edge of Braydon, he would be a beast!

Not for nothin', but Carter and Richards combined to score the Kings' first goal vs. the Canucks.

What a great story it would be if the Flyers and the former Kings met the Kings and the former Flyers in the Cup finals!

I'm not in a huge hurry to face Mike Richards in the playoffs. But I like the idea of being in the Finals.

I think in 2-3 years from now when people look at some of the most lopsided trades in recent history and you put go Richards / Carter for Simmonds, Schenn, 2nd round pick (which basically got us grossman), Couturier and Voracek, folks will scratch their heads.

May not seem like much now but we also got a 2nd rounder in the Richards trade.

He sure is. Hell he's a "gamer" every night really. Yes it went a little sour in Philly but I don't believe for a second he's a "party guy" first and hockey is 2nd. I figure there must've been a bunch of stuff going on with him and the Flyers - stuff we never heard about - that made it impossible for him in Philly. God bless him, we're both in better places now. Carter too, now that he's in L.A.

I will always root for Richards and Carter . . .until we play the Kings in the Finals.

• Like 1