Bryzgalov

Guest flyercanuck

Well, a lot of us thought this team will go as far as Bryzgalov allows them to. And it's pretty apparent that is the case.

In the first period, we saw the Pens take the play to Philly, and we saw Bryzaster give us a fine rendition of his first half of the season. I thought all three goals were of the "saveable" kind. I'm not saying he should have had them all, but Crosbys goal was stopable, Kennedy didn't get all of his, and Dupuis' was horrible from the refs, Coburn and Bryz. Bryzgalov looked like he was the 42nd best goalie in the NHL again, while Fleury was making some highlight reel saves at the other end. From the end of the 1st on, he played like he has more recently, and was a big factor in the win. Of course, he would have been a bigger factor in a loss, but we'll take it. I just wish he wouldn't atart the game looking so flaky.

This team is never out of a game. They've proven it over and over this year, and definately play a better brand of hockey when down. But it sure would be nice to not spot the Pens 2 or 3 goals each and every game. Let's hope Bryz starts the next game like he ended that one.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

The 3rd goal was a joke. I almost think Bryz too thought it was icing and took a very lackadaisical approach to protecting the net. The second goal was very stoppable, yet at the same time MAB should attempt to stop gift wrapping odd man counter rushes. The first was fluky, but he seemed to take his eye off the puck.

I have a feeling we will not see the same Bryzgalov come Friday. His team bailed him out big time and he knows it. I am not typing this on my Orange and Black keyboard either, I really think we will see a much better effort from him come Friday. In the mean time Lavy needs to figure a way to limit the quality 2nd and 3rd chances the Pens are getting. The Flyers were having a tough time clearing the zone and getting around the Pens forecheck.

A highlight that is completely unrelated, Schenn looked like a monster thirsty for blood. I hope he can keep that tempo up and his team gets inspired by his play.

All in all they shocked me last night, not only with the win, but with how bad they were out played in the first. I expect Lavy to change his defensive scheme tomorrow night and we may see a lot more protection around Bryz.

Edited by Bertmega
  • Like 1

It was all about effort. In the first, there was none. And that was on everyone. But that's when you need your goalie, who was brought in to do just that, to bail you out. Fleury was doing it at the other end. Bryz was letting in backbreakers. I thought the 3rd surely did us in. But I'll hand it to him, he responded well after that...good on him.

@Phillygrump

They were getting out worked in the first and couldn't even get a forecheck going. They also had a lot of problems with their passing game. Much of it looked forced. It's good that they got the 1st game out of the way and they won it. I really hope this help with the momentum. I can see both teams being very cautious in play come tomorrow.

Pitt blew their load and we out hustled by the Flyers in the 2nd and most of the 3rd.

you guys are insane. none of those goals were his fault. first one was a broken down D play both on coverage and the puck. 2nd was a 2 on 1, essentially, with a cross ice pass where the D didn't take the man nor the puck. the 3rd was a deflection off our own D man right into the net.

ya know... i don't have orange colored glasses, but you guys are really just something else here.

• Like 1

you guys are insane. none of those goals were his fault. first one was a broken down D play both on coverage and the puck. 2nd was a 2 on 1, essentially, with a cross ice pass where the D didn't take the man nor the puck. the 3rd was a deflection off our own D man right into the net.

ya know... i don't have orange colored glasses, but you guys are really just something else here.

I think the third goal was "on Bryz" but I won't put the first two in that category. The Flyers were flat-footed and the Pens were up on their skates.

It is, however, undeniable that Bryzgalov is the reason the Flyers almost lost the game last night.

And by "almost lost," of course, we mean "won".

I think the third goal was "on Bryz" but I won't put the first two in that category. The Flyers were flat-footed and the Pens were up on their skates.

It is, however, undeniable that Bryzgalov is the reason the Flyers almost lost the game last night.

And by "almost lost," of course, we mean "won".

the 3rd one banked off our D man as he was cutting to the guy behind the net. i didn't think that one was on bryz, but i'd have to look at it again.

Crosby's goal...was of the ..oh look what i find variety. the puck hit Grossman..who had no clue where it was and Crosbyy jsut kinds of pokes at it. Can't blame Bryz for that one. If Grossman looks down and finds it..then I think he clears it, if not, at least he would be more physical with Crosby. The 3rd goal I am not going to comment on. Kenned'ys was the only one that was legit, butI think Bryz still should have stopped it. Just my 2 cents.

Great effort in not getting dowm after the 1st period. Now take it to them on Friday night!

@flyercanuck - I think you're being too harsh on Bryz. He made some great saves to keep it 3-0 and 3-1 and that's a good sign. All 3 goals the Pens got were off of mistakes. He shouldn't have had to make any of them.

At the end of the first period, did you think Bryz played well? Or should I say any good?

@flyercanuck

Honestly, I didn't blame him for any of the goals. I thought maybe he could have hadthe 3rd, but I was more mad at the non-icing call.

But I can't fault him on the 2-on-1. And Crosby's was a loose puck that he prolly didn't really know where it was. Then a quick, perfectly placed, backhand chip that came out of nowhere and would have been difficult to pick up. Maybe if he's 6'5" it hits him in the shoulder, but there's not much he can do about that.

And he made a few key saves in the period that would have made it 4-0 and prolly yanked. So you start the 2nd with Bob instead and I guarantee you he gives up one.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

Like I said Pods, I thought any of them were saveable. Not expecting him to stop all of them. But he could have stopped any one of them. THAT is what he was brought in for. Leighton, Emery, Boucher, Esche, Burke, Hackett, Wregget, any of them could have let in those 3 goals for a lot less money.

funny that people here mention that fleury was making huge stops. the thing with fleury is that he makes routine stops look huge. he waves his glove wildly after routine glove stops. then.. he missed some really stoppable goals last night. i don't see how he played any better than bryz. in fact, i think it's pretty obvious he played worse.

Well, a lot of us thought this team will go as far as Bryzgalov allows them to. And it's pretty apparent that is the case.

In the first period, we saw the Pens take the play to Philly, and we saw Bryzaster give us a fine rendition of his first half of the season. I thought all three goals were of the "saveable" kind. I'm not saying he should have had them all, but Crosbys goal was stopable, Kennedy didn't get all of his, and Dupuis' was horrible from the refs, Coburn and Bryz. Bryzgalov looked like he was the 42nd best goalie in the NHL again, while Fleury was making some highlight reel saves at the other end. From the end of the 1st on, he played like he has more recently, and was a big factor in the win. Of course, he would have been a bigger factor in a loss, but we'll take it. I just wish he wouldn't atart the game looking so flaky.

This team is never out of a game. They've proven it over and over this year, and definately play a better brand of hockey when down. But it sure would be nice to not spot the Pens 2 or 3 goals each and every game. Let's hope Bryz starts the next game like he ended that one.

yeah first period was a disaster..second and third period he settled in and made some good saves..

THAT is what he was brought in for. Leighton, Emery, Boucher, Esche, Burke, Hackett, Wregget, any of them could have let in those 3 goals for a lot less money.

Well, you should be prepared to be constantly disappointed for the next 9 years if you expect him to make saves that most goalies wouldn't make, no matter what they make.

I recall you saying you just hoped he played decent/average, even though you knew that you should get more than decent/average for the $$$. What changed?

Anyway, enuff of that, we can agree to disagree. This might be the first time we have ever disagreed on anything. About time!

Well, you should be prepared to be constantly disappointed for the next 9 years if you expect him to make saves that most goalies wouldn't make, no matter what they make.

I recall you saying you just hoped he played decent/average, even though you knew that you should get more than decent/average for the $$$. What changed?

Anyway, enuff of that, we can agree to disagree. This might be the first time we have ever disagreed on anything. About time!

I disagree.

I don't think Bryz deserves slack. He's not an "average" goaltender, who makes routine saves only. He's supposed to be a very good goalie, and accordingly, needs to make those tougher ones too. The Crosby goal was ridiculous, pass. But one shot hit the pipe that went through his arms (no goal thankfully), he's not holding the post well, and he's still slow laterally. I still cringe on most shots on net, because I really don't know if he can make those routine saves regularly.

What's wrong with holding the goalie to a standard higher than Brian Boucher? Bryz can play better, he just isn't. He needs to have at least one of those two other goals - especially when the guy across the ice is playing like a brick wall.

In all fairness though, Bryz has to have worked on his rebound control recently. Fewer pucks seem to be bouncing back to shooters, and that is a very good thing.