Team Chemistry

Guest flyercanuck

I really like what I see out of this team as far as chemistry goes. The trades brought in a lot of youth (4 young players who all surprisingly made the team) as well as letting guys like Read come in. Fresh blood can have an inspiring effect in any workplace. Wellwood, Rinaldo, Bourdon all positives.

Of course getting rid of lackadaisical Carter may have helped out a bit. He doesn't come across as a guy you'd hate. (at least not to me) but he also isn't the guy you'd pick to go to war with. Couturier on the other hand...and Voracek...

I thought losing Richards would be a step back in the present. But LA in general didn't have a good year. And Simmonds and Schenn have brought a blood and guts never say die attitude that's more than made up for Richards.

Hartnell keeps things light, and the havoc wreakage him and Simmonds bring to the oppositions net is priceless.

Giroux- I don't think I need to say anything about our best player.

Briere - I really had to bite my tongue this year. Two goals in his first playoff game...go figure!

Jaromir Jagr has been an absolute shock for me, as far as attitude, leadership and game prep goes. I have nothing but good to say about his presence on this team.

Timonen is an aging warhorse whose best days are behind him, but still gives us a great veteran on the blueline.

Grossmann has brought out some snarl in Coburn. On top of what he himself brings, that's added value.

Does anyone else think that losing Pronger, even though he is a force back there (if he can keep up with the play) has actually had a positive effect on a young team? His nazi-like dictatorship wears thin after awhile, and he's been here awhile. And it appears we've lost that "Oh noes, we can't possibly compete without Pronger" mentality that we had last year.

Does anyone else think that losing Pronger, even though he is a force back there (if he can keep up with the play) has actually had a positive effect on a young team? His nazi-like dictatorship wears thin after awhile, and he's been here awhile. And it appears we've lost that "Oh noes, we can't possibly compete without Pronger" mentality that we had last year.

Yes, I do. You've been making this argument for some time buddy, and it appears you have been proven right.

Now go out and celebrate by buying a 42 foot plasma, or a Lexus!

When I think about the changes in the team, I think you only have to look at Hartnell to understand it. He has transformed his game and himself, mainly by getting into shape (I always thought he looked doughy and I know I'm not alone in that). He is faster, has more endurance (he takes 2nd longest shifts to Giroux of all forwards) and is suddenly a dangerous hockey player. Before he was mostly dangerous in other ways.

And you see that the whole culture has changed: Jagr comes in and (supposedly) asks for his own key to the gym (I don't even care if it's not true and it's just the story that the Flyers created to change the culture). Another story is Bourdon: the knock on him going back to Jr was that he was slow of foot (because he was fat!). Look at him! (not his best game last night I realize).

This culture change, combined with the skill, and the apparent chemistry you describe, means we have a chance to beat anybody any night, even when we spot one of the better teams in hockey a 3-0 lead at home.

I'm going for the flame muralled Pacer stretch limo with the 42 foot plasma and topless waitresses on pogo sticks. It's the only way to fly.

I can't believe the change in hartnell. Not only are some of my friends (Leaf fans, Hab fans, Bruin fans) starting to actually LIKE the guy, but TSN is giving him props.

There seems to be a whole new philosophy to the Flyers game this year. It may not always work, but it sure is fun to watch.

I agree that this flyers team has great chemistry, they all seem to like playing together, the young guys seem to be making it fun for the older guys and the older guys are helping the young guys adjust to the life.

i definitely think 20's absence has been a big factor, i don't think the "fun factor" would be the same if he were in the room all the time. i'm sure he wouldn't be going for any of that danged rap music either.

I like this team, they're amongst my favorite flyers squads.

I agree. The team has clearly learned to win without him, and I think he can be kind of a distraction. Right now I'm thinking I'd rather have Grossman than Pronger. And we probably wouldn't have Grossman if Pronger was still in the lineup.