You have got to be frickin kidding me with this...

Guest Bakanekimiwa

Well, when he makes a statement in public, it's going to carry the weight of the league regardless- at least in the eyes of the public. Like I said in another post, I don't think league officials should be publicly commenting on specific calls on the ice, other than things that fall into the suspendible offense category. It's a very slippery slope.

Agree there...but that's just Campbell not being very interview savy which we have seen many times before. The biggest issue I have is that he made a similar statement recently and no one was nearly as upset. It's only when the Pens are involved...

seems to me, the correct answer was, "well, it was a blown call.

ding ding ding

and move on... there is no need to empathize with any team.

His answer should have been "it was a blown call, the league is never happy when our officials miss calls." and then add some backdoor criticism sandwich for the officials so they don't feel ganged up upon.

@B21

I hear what you’re saying regarding Laviolette, Milbury, Roenick, et al. Regardless of their actions, there are many that perceive Campbell’s answer to the question as an apology, whether their Flyers fans, Penguins fans, or simply hockey fans in general.

I’ve seen it used in numerous outlets, and, as I mentioned earlier, a Pittsburgh radio station used the term in “NHL Apologizes for Missing Call Against Pens in Game 1 Vs. Flyers” (http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freakshow.html?article=10037207).

It seems to me that use of the term “apologize” isn’t limited to those caught up in the wave of anti-Penguins sentiment.

Again, I don’t think Meltzer was killing Campbell for apologizing (even though he never apologized). He just acknowledged that Campbell addressed the play, said he was fine with it, and went on to note that missed calls eventually even out. If anything, he came across as a bit bitter about never receiving an explanation about what happened with the Islanders back in the day.

@B21

I hear what you’re saying regarding Laviolette, Milbury, Roenick, et al. Regardless of their actions, there are many that perceive Campbell’s answer to the question as an apology, whether their Flyers fans, Penguins fans, or simply hockey fans in general.

I’ve seen it used in numerous outlets, and, as I mentioned earlier, a Pittsburgh radio station used the term in “NHL Apologizes for Missing Call Against Pens in Game 1 Vs. Flyers” (http://www.961kiss.c...rticle=10037207).

It seems to me that use of the term “apologize” isn’t limited to those caught up in the wave of anti-Penguins sentiment.

Again, I don’t think Meltzer was killing Campbell for apologizing (even though he never apologized). He just acknowledged that Campbell addressed the play, said he was fine with it, and went on to note that missed calls eventually even out. If anything, he came across as a bit bitter about never receiving an explanation about what happened with the Islanders back in the day.

C'mon...96.1 is a Top 40 station. My WIFE listens to that. Did they offer Justin Beiber's thoughts? ;) If it were 93.7 The Fan (Sports Talk)...MAYBE.

Also - not killing Meltzer for his thoughts on the matter at all. Only that he incorrectly called it an "official league apology".

Agree there...but that's just Campbell not being very interview savy which we have seen many times before. The biggest issue I have is that he made a similar statement recently and no one was nearly as upset. It's only when the Pens are involved...

He knew what he was dong. Since his days with the Rangers he has hated the Flyers and it was obvious when he was in charge of discipline. Said it before and will say it again Stickle cost the Flyers a Cup. The difference was it was a lot more offside than this one. Pens coach said that goal is not why they lost.

@B21

Haha…Are you trying to tell me that 96.1’s Morning Freak Show doesn’t accurately reflect the feelings of all Pittsburghians?!? I’m shocked!

And I hope you’re not suggesting that The Biebs’ opinion on these matters wouldn’t carry any weight—The dude’s a confirmed rink rat...

ept_sports_nhl_experts-619084820-1280341811.jpg?ymzsghDDXhfNeb.V

ok, well, when the league VP makes a very unbiased comment about a playoff game that my team is involved in, i'm going to have to disagree with you and say that this was VERY one of those reasons to get upset.

well, the day that happens, i may agree with you.

Imo, the correct answer was, "the league doesn't comment on the correctness of specific calls that happen during the game. We review all the games on tape and assess the performance of the on-ice officials. We use that to determine which officials work the playoffs..." etc, etc...

Coaches are not supposed to throw their players under the bus (though some do). League officials should not throw their "players" (their players being the on-ice officials) under the bus in public. Keep it internal. The whole world knows it was a blown call, no need for a league official to state the obvious and come off as appearing sympathetic to one team.

sure, if there was anything the least bit controversial about the call. when a mistake that would get a bantam ref fired happens, though, the thing has to be aknowledged.

the only people upset are butthurt flyers fans, which is completely bizarre because their team is the one that benefited from the call and they won the game. it's like they are incomplete if they can't moan about *something* every game. upside: there'll be something new after tonight.

Campbell is a corrupt, Flyers-hating clown. Nothing he says should trouble us because we already know where he's coming from. So he "feels the Pens' pain" or whatever he said, big fkn deal.

In this case he didn't say anything so terrible imho. If the situation were reversed and Crosby had scored on Bryz coming into the zone 2, 3 feet offside .... and Campbell said "We feel as bad as the Flyers do about it" would you (whoever's complaining about this, sorry I forgot) have a problem with it? No, you'd probably figure the League had to say something about such an obviously blown call.

the maybe-icing is not even in the same Universe as the offside. One was clear as day, the other was a could-go-either-way call.

@B21

Haha…Are you trying to tell me that 96.1’s Morning Freak Show doesn’t accurately reflect the feelings of all Pittsburghians?!? I’m shocked!

And I hope you’re not suggesting that The Biebs’ opinion on these matters wouldn’t carry any weight—The dude’s a confirmed rink rat...

ept_sports_nhl_experts-619084820-1280341811.jpg?ymzsghDDXhfNeb.V

That has to be photoshopped. Please tell me that is photshopped.

Campbell is a corrupt, Flyers-hating clown. Nothing he says should trouble us because we already know where he's coming from. So he "feels the Pens' pain" or whatever he said, big fkn deal.

In this case he didn't say anything so terrible imho. If the situation were reversed and Crosby had scored on Bryz coming into the zone 2, 3 feet offside .... and Campbell said "We feel as bad as the Flyers do about it" would you (whoever's complaining about this, sorry I forgot) have a problem with it? No, you'd probably figure the League had to say something about such an obviously blown call.

As long as you believe the "corrupt, Flyers-hating clown" would say "we feel as bad as Philadelphia does. Almost." in the same situation.

It's a very big molehill.

Which is why the league should have a standard statement about "trying to make the right call every time" and acknowledging the human factor in officiating, rather than being in position to discuss one call and not another. There are times when the league has had no comment about obviously blown calls. Or has made comments that totally contradict each other before stating outright that the thing everyone was worried about wasn't actually a problem because of a super secret double probation note that they posted in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet in a disused lavatory in the flooded basement of the NHL headquarters.

But why go into No Goal again? :-)

It's counterproductive to be in a position where you are fining league-related employees for criticizing the officiating while top executives are being quoted in the national media critcizing the officiating.

Blown calls are part of the game. Always have been. If Fleury had made the save, if the Pens had held a 3-1 lead at home in Game One, if they had scored first in overtime, this isn't even an anthill of discussion.

The real story here is the Pens choked.

@flyerrod:

Gee, according to @orange_crush, The Flyers have the better PP and PK, and 5v5 play benefits Pittsburgh. I'm sooooo confused...

Most of the game, both sides were allowed to play without "over reffing". I personally liked it that way even though the calls were 4-1 in Pitts favor. I guess I also agree with OC that the Flyers really seem to build momentum off of their penalty kill too.

Blown calls are part of the game. Always have been. If Fleury had made the save, if the Pens had held a 3-1 lead at home in Game One, if they had scored first in overtime, this isn't even an anthill of discussion.

The real story here is the Pens choked.

Thread over. Nicely summed up, @radoran

It's counterproductive to be in a position where you are fining league-related employees for criticizing the officiating while top executives are being quoted in the national media critcizing the officiating.

Ah the crux of the biscuit. Or is it? Tortorella wasn't fined for criticizing the officials, but for Penguins players. He actually got fined twice as much as Laviolette who threw an on ice tantrum! (And by the by, the Briere hit wasn't the reason for the outburst, just the straw. The four slashes, three punches, two rabbit punches and the knee on knee hit, all uncalled, set it up.)

@aziz, @B21, you guys are arguing semantics. Out of all the missed calls that may happen (nine if you were counting along for just the regular season's final Sunday game) how often does a major league official come out and point it out, let alone commiserate (we feel as bad!!) with the "aggrieved" team. The blown icing call was equivalent if not exact, yet not a tear was shed by Bettman/Campbell. Campbell may not have said "The NHL officially issues a formal apology to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization for the egregious lack of judgement in allowing the Philadelphia Flyers to score on an apparent offsides play." But what Campbell said was FAR more than he said about the 1000 and more other missed calls this season.

The legitimate concern of Flyers' fans is that the officials will take Campbell's words as chastisement and the officials will go out of the way, even more than usual, to "correct" the game so that the Penguins don't get any more upset. Milbury was forced/asked to apologize for his honest comments, Crosby told the media he expected an apology from Tortorella, nobody bothered to ask Berube or Roenick for one, because each would have told them to suck it out of his d*ick, and Don Cherry seems to be above even the NHL, at least he has more integrity.

There is no doubt that the Pens are the darlings of Bettman and Campbell, even if the rest of the NHL coaches, players and fans are on to their bullsh*t.

Out of all the missed calls that may happen (nine if you were counting along for just the regular season's final Sunday game) how often does a major league official come out and point it out, let alone commiserate (we feel as bad!!) with the "aggrieved" team.

he was answering a question asked of him. he didn't organize a press conference to make an announcement. he didn't point it out, obviously the reporter that asked the question did. he answered the question, that the call was bad, and he did not like that it happened. his employee fcuked up and it caused a problem for one of the teams in the game. i would hope he feels bad when his official drops the ball that hard.

The blown icing call was equivalent if not exact, yet not a tear was shed by Bettman/Campbell.

there was no blown icing call, much less an equivalent to the 2-feet-offsides miss. there was an icing that was waived off, and you do not think it should have been.

actually, i'm curious to know why you think it should have been called, much less be refered to as "blown".

in anycase, the linesman in that situation made a defensible judgement call, and it is not at all black and white that any mistake was made. as opposed to briere being 12.5 miles offsides. a linesman at the NHL level who misses something that badly is well worthy of comment. did campbell go further than he should have, mentioning the penguins when talking about how unhappy with the mistake he was? yeah, maybe he did. but so what?

But what Campbell said was FAR more than he said about the 1000 and more other missed calls this season.

waah. waah waah waaaaaah waah. poor poor flyers. those vague words are obviously a good reason for you cry some more. i mean, the flyers won, got a goal off a terrible call by the officials, one would think all was well coming out of that game...but life just isn't the same if you can't massage your victimhood. napoleon must be fed.

and that's the fun part. it doesn't matter what happens in the game. you'll find something. somehow, someway, the flyers will be the victims of something and you'll be able to keep on crying, like clockwork. it's how you root, i guess. tonight, there will be at least one thing that you can spend the next day and half claiming persecution over. the only question is what will it be? if the flyers take 6 penalties, they will have only deserved 3. if the penguins take 6, they will have deserved 10. if bryzgalov falls down, a penguin has obviously tripped him. if fleury falls down, he dove. if a flyer gets hurt, a penguin should be suspended. if a penguin gets hurt, he should have kept his head up. if the flyers get a goal off a blown call, well, that happens sometimes, and how dare anyone point it out. if the penguins get a goal with any amount of controversy on the play, it will be proof of the conspiracy.

oh, the drama. can't wait to find out what deeply offends you tonight.

B21..it is a playoff game with alot spotlight on this particular series. I agree, during the reqular is gets glanced over, however with all the hype between these two seems, it may be percieved by some as showing some type of favortism, be it right or wrong. As many have mentioned, the Pens did not lose because of this call. Just like those who love to rubber neck at the scene of an accident...Time to move along folks...Time to move along......

The legitimate concern of Flyers' fans is that the officials will take Campbell's words as chastisement and the officials will go out of the way, even more than usual, to "correct" the game so that the Penguins don't get any more upset.

I can see that.

You don't have to believe in "the conspiracy" to see the merits of this concern. It's happened countless times before; in fact it's part of the game (or so it's said) whenever coaches hint:hint (or outright complain) about the officiating, most particularly during this time of year.

Where the legitimacy of the concern falls off the rails is this wasn't a judgment call that went against Pittsburgh, or went in favor of their opposition: it was a blown call, nothing more nothing less. There is no "make up" for it by a professional linesman, other than to do what he always does, try his best to get the call right the first time. The League has an answer for it: don't hire the guy again. If what's-his-name (the linesman who blew it) has a history, or if they plain just don't like him...well he won't be working any more PO games you can bet on that.

Other than that I don't see how the on-ice officiating team can deal out any "payback" or "next-day justice."

can anyone find me a link to Campbell's public apology for the missed too-many-men call on Phoenix that led to a goal last night? I'm having trouble finding it.

Surely the league would consider an equallly egregious non-call that actually BROKE A TIE as influential on a game than one that made it 3-1...right?

ah yes....the other blown calls in all the other games...

And so we're off to the races folks...oh, wait, we already were, that's right.

Wow how ridiculous will this get before it ends?

(nothing personal Five, I know what you're getting at, tongue firmly planted in cheek - good post!)

can anyone find me a link to Campbell's public apology for the missed too-many-men call on Phoenix that led to a goal last night? I'm having trouble finding it.

Surely the league would consider an equallly egregious non-call that actually BROKE A TIE as influential on a game than one that made it 3-1...right?

you won't find it...it is apparent that the Coyotes and Blackhawks aren't the princes's of the NHL. They are only mere peasants when considering the Court Jester aka Bettman only caters to King Crybaby and his merrymen called the Pens.......good post!

ah yes....the other blown calls in all the other games...

And so we're off to the races folks...oh, wait, we already were, that's right.

Wow how ridiculous will this get before it ends?

(nothing personal Five, I know what you're getting at, tongue firmly planted in cheek - good post!)

apologist.

;)