Nothing on NHL.COM re: Weber/Zetterburg? Seriously?

Guest canoli

Or am I missing it? I see Bitz got 2 games for boarding Clifford (LA vs Van) but I can't find even a mention of Weber's hit on Zetterburg - smashing Zetts head into the glass after the buzzer.

I was out of touch most of the day so maybe it was there earlier. But there's nothing on the landing page now at nhl.com. They can't seriously be pretending it didn't happen...can they?

www.nhl.com

$ 2500.00 fine .basically a shifts worth of pay for him. Its mentioned in the top headlines box on right side of page.

Ah, thank you, there it is. Don't know how I missed it, I looked at that headline box 6 times....doh. So yeah, a cool $2500. Sure, that's fair. But Bitz lays a good hard check on Clifford, from behind but not entirely, elbow first but again, not all elbow - and it was during the game at least! He got a 5 and now he's going to sit for 2 games. Kinda b.s. imho. Bitz isn't a "big-time" player and Weber is so...there ya have it I guess.

This fkn league is so corrupt it's beyond ridiculous. I know "corrupt" is a serious charge but really there's no other word for it. Between the nonsense that goes on in Shanahan's office, the clown who used to run it and then was promoted...for interfering with the officials on behalf of his son... It's no wonder the on-ice officiating is whacked. It starts at the top.

@canoli

it's the same thing that we were talking about with the malkin no-suspension a few years ago. the league wants supplementary discipline to make as little difference to the games as possible during the playoffs. which, on its face, isn't a terrible thing...but the fact that it melts down to the bigger an impact player you are, the less likely you are to be suspended kinda sucks.

Weber gets run from behind and an elbow to the head and he responded,. Annoying elbow, not intent to injure but to the head,yes it was. Weak push of the head into the glass with a ham job by Zetterberg looking for sympathy, yes it was. If Weber had the intent to level Zetterberg, he would have a concussion and sitting at home eating jello. How many people on here(sorry aziz but this is directed your way) say "it's hockey, don't neuter the game....let them play." This was a perfect case and point. Zetterberg threw the first cheap shot and Weber responded. No blood, No suspension. If Weber had been more violent than he was, then penalize him heavier but that was not the case here.

the fact that it melts down to the bigger an impact player you are, the less likely you are to be suspended kinda sucks.

yeah it does. And how the League's web page purposely minimizes it - the dirtiest, stupidest play of the night, by a marquee name and there's one dinky "headline" sentence in like 10pt font. It's a joke. The intention is noble enough I suppose, to minimize (or eliminate) the consequences of supplemental discipline. But ya know in practice it just doesn't work. Either have the damn office and use it, evenly applied, or shut down Shanahan's gig once the POs start. It's preposterous that Bitz gets 2 and Weber gets a b.s. fine.

It's preposterous that Bitz gets 2 and Weber gets a b.s. fine.

yup. especially because weber's thing was one of the few occurances where there can't be any debate about his intentions. palm the guy's head and slam it into the glass.

Weber gets run from behind and an elbow to the head and he responded,. Annoying elbow, not intent to injure but to the head,yes it was. Weak push of the head into the glass with a ham job by Zetterberg looking for sympathy, yes it was. If Weber had the intent to level Zetterberg, he would have a concussion and sitting at home eating jello. How many people on here(sorry aziz but this is directed your way) say "it's hockey, don't neuter the game....let them play." This was a perfect case and point. Zetterberg threw the first cheap shot and Weber responded.

i'm sorry, man, but that's ridiculous. zetterberg followed weber into the corner and his right elbow slid up weber's back as they turned into the boards. there isn't anything there than can kind of be called getting "run". elbow made contact with his head, sure, after it slid up the guy's back. there was no force there. and so weber reaches out, takes the back of zetterberg's head full in his hand, and mashes it into the glass. i mean, zetterberg's head traveled 2 feet from the point weber grabbed it to the glass. it's not like it was a gentle massage weber handed him there.

the most horrific thing ever? no, not even close. on the chelios scale it gets a 2. still, it was one of the most flagrant you-just-can't-do-that's i've seen in a long time. if intentional head infractions are what the league is trying to stop, and then a guy literally grabs someone's head and bounces it off the glass....

zetterberg's play on weber is the kind of "it's hockey/don't neuter the game/let them play" that i like. weber's play on zetterberg was just stupid.

i have no doubt you saw it recently and all, but i'm trying to see the offensive thing zetterberg did that makes what weber did anything but well out of line.

best angle is around 0:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMgjO0EgtE

i don't get how anyone can say anything other than "good lord, you can't do that, wtf were you thinking" to weber there.

$ 2500.00 fine .basically a shifts worth of pay for him. Its mentioned in the top headlines box on right side of page.

It literally translates into a 1 penny fine for the average person. Absurd. When I saw it happen I said that is good for a 1 game suspension. The league bias rears its ugly head yet again. Let it be known that my dad lives in Nashville and I am a mild Preds fan and hate the Wings and I still thought it was worthy of a 1 game suspension. It was dirty, ugly, and had intent to injur. Hope he plays for us next year! ;)

Edited by trevluk

i have no doubt you saw it recently and all, but i'm trying to see the offensive thing zetterberg did that makes what weber did anything but well out of line.

If Weber mashed Zetterberg's head into the glass with intent to injure, He would be eating jello with Konstantinov right now. Announcers choice of words, "Zetterberg runs Weber from behind and Weber responds with......". Zetterberg ham job was positively Carcillo-like. Was Weber wrong, without a doubt, was it malicious with intent to injure, not even close.

was it malicious with intent to injure, not even close.

Wow. I mean... wow. ...just goes to show how 2 intelligent people (you and aziz of course!) can see things completely differently. But I got to say, "intent to injure" is all that move was about.

Sure we can say the same thing about every hockey hit. But - "hockey hit" is the operative phrase. Using a guy's head to try and break the safety glass is another thing entirely. I sure don't agree that "if he was really trying to hurt him...etc."

No, Weber was really trying to hurt him and hurt him bad; he was out of control at that point. I know aziz already said it but it bears repeating - that was one of the most flagrant "OMG you just can't do that" moments I've seen all year. There is simply no justification for that from a professional. Talk about lack of respect....whew!

No, Weber was really trying to hurt him and hurt him bad; he was out of control at that point.

If Weber intended to injure him, he would have. I am not condoning what Weber did, but I am not going to hang him for it either. He pushed, not slammed Zetterberg's head into the glass. Dumb move, absolutely but if Shanahan has watched this and not singled him out for having the gall to touch a redwing then it must not have been that flagrant.......

If Weber intended to injure him, he would have. I am not condoning what Weber did, but I am not going to hang him for it either. He pushed, not slammed Zetterberg's head into the glass. Dumb move, absolutely but if Shanahan has watched this and not singled him out for having the gall to touch a redwing then it must not have been that flagrant.......

Hard for me to be totally objective on it, I'll admit. And I realize they ARE the media, and the media likes scandalous headlines because they sell website clicks (not papers anymore), but even a vast majority of sportswriters are saying the league is going too easy on this one, most of whom have no preference for either team.

I think those who really have the best interests of the game at heart say that should have been at least a game. I personally would have been happy with a 1-game suspension. I would have been happier if he hadn't done it at all.

A $2,500 fine is like saying, "Please, Mr. Weber, don't do that kind of thing? Pretty please? With sugar on top? If you do it again...we'll...we'll...we'll not like you any more!" That'll stop him for sure now, and anyone else, for that matter. Thank goodness that the NHL came down so hard on the players doing extracurricular stuff in last year's SCF's, because as a result of his fear of such heavy punishment, Weber didn't even use any sharp instruments in his assault on Hank! Thank goodness the league holds that line!

Unfortunately, the line appears to be low-test fishing line!

@SpikeDDS

I was just listening to some NHL talk on XM, and a really interesting point was made that suggested James Wisniewski should be the person who is most upset over the paltry fine that Weber received for his actions.

It made a lot of sense. Even though Wisniewski was suspended for an elbow, both his and Weber’s acts showed a flagrant disregard for their opponent’s well-being. The difference is that Wisniewski served eight regular season games and forfeited $536,000 in salary. By the time that poor SOB finished serving his suspension, his team was already a long shot to make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Weber commits a crime that is just as offensive (if not more so), and isn’t even forced to sit one (palyoff) game for it. I’m sure he was feeling pressure from the league to go easy on Weber, but Shanahan still blew it on this one.

So the fact that he cracked Z's helmet in two doesn't count for you, eh?

http://www.freep.com...ine-dirty-play-

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Henrik Zetterberg had to use a new helmet Thursday, as his old one cracked in two pieces when Shea Weber pounded Zetterberg's head into the glass in Game 1.

Cost to the Red Wings: About $90. Cost to Weber: $2,500.

Just eeeeased that head niiiiice and gentle-like....

Ya. OK.

@SpikeDDS

You show me the helmet in question before he leaves the ice.........Total Propaganda bull **** unless his helmet was cracked before the play. I hope next time Weber rips off his head and $hits down his throat....then I will say, "Everyone was right...he really is an evil demon spawn who should not be allowed to walk the Earth....."

Step one...Get over it....If your 170 pound forward did not want to get a face rub, then he should not have tried to board a 230 pound defenseman.....end of story and my last post on this thread.....

@flyerrod

Geez, someone needs to sleep it off!

I've said it before in other threads: I like Shea Weber. When Lidstrom retires, I'm hoping he'll end up wearing the winged wheel on his sweater. Having said that, what he did shouldn't be a part of the game. He's not a demon. He just lost his temper for a moment and did something stupid and potentially dangerous--more dangerous than you want to admit. It's not like that's never happened before.

Sorry if the facts don't fit nicely with your perceptions. I just reported them to you. No need to react the way you did, for goodness sake, although I can identify, because I do know how disgusting your own words can taste when you have to eat 'em, so I feel for ya.

There there.

@SpikeDDS

.If your 170 pound forward did not want to get a face rub, then he should not have tried to board a 230 pound defenseman.....end of story and my last post on this thread.....

Ok, so i might have lied about it being my last post in this thread....the previous post was meant to be over the top but this portion of the quoted statement is what I truly believe...If you don't want to get stung, don't kick the hornet's nest..........

If you think that "boarding" was cause to justify what Weber did, you are in a VERY small minority.

A) Most won't agree with you that what Z did was truly "boarding," but this is the STRONGEST part of your argument.

B) I haven't seen ANYONE else who is trying to say that what Z did justified what Weber did. Nobody.

If that's your position, you have a right to your opinion, even if it is wrong on both counts. If it was just me that was saying this, that'd be one thing. I haven't seen any hockey analyst agree with your position on either front. You stand alone, my friend.

And for the record, I acknowledge that you didn't "sting" me, because what you said wasn't directed at me. But I see why you seem to take Weber's side, because you did the same thing he did--overreacted.

I don't think Digityman will be fining you $2,500 for yours though. :P