Colin Campbell & the NHL's Big Wigs Are Extreme Hypocrites

Guest Irishjim

Yesterday, the NHL's senior executive vice-president of hockey operations, Colin Campbell, issued

this statement in regards to Daniel Briere's blown off-sides call in the Flyers 4 - 3 OT win over Pittsburgh --

"There's no other way to explain it but a missed call," Campbell told The Canadian Press in an interview. "We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost. It's a mistake.

"It was a quick turnaround," said Campbell. "You can see it was a quick 70-foot pass -- the linesman was up with the play and then had to move quickly back and he saw it from the angle he saw it from. But still his job is to get the right call and he didn't."

Funny. No mention of how Dupuis scored Pittsburgh's third goal of the first period off of a non-called icing penalty, which (at the time) credits the Penguins a three goal lead over Philadelphia. A deficit that deep on the scoreboard may have been the finishing move on the Flyers' chances of sparking any comeback. It could have buried any lesser team.

Luckily for us Flyers fans, that was obviously not the case.

But nevertheless, Mr. Campbell is evasively insinuating that because of a linesman's incompetence, Pittsburgh was stripped of their custody over the contest's tempo.

And again, never any mention of Pittsburgh's icing in the final minutes of the opening frame.

What am I getting at?

Well, I am not trying to strengthen any conspiracy theory that the League and its big wigs are doing everything in their power to make sure Sidney Crosby and the rest of the Pittsburgh Fowls advance forward in the Playoffs.

I won't give them that much credit.

Because if that were the case, it'd mean they had the brain power to formulate such a vindictive campaign.

However, what I will allude to is that figureheads -- like Colin Campbell in the NHL's castle -- notice and value the type of advertising, revenue and acclamation the Penguins can generate because of....certain players.

In fact, Game 1 of the Penguins & Flyers QuarterFinals achieved Most-Watched Opening Night Playoff Game in Net's History & Best Opener in a Decade ~

source

Business is business, and the NHL is a business. It needs to continue making money. Like any other business, the Benjamins are its lifeblood. And though I agree the officiating missed Briere's blatant off-sides, I believe it is incredibly unprofessional (and unbusiness-like) of Campbell to give prominence to a blown Philadelphia infraction and NOT what happened against Philadelphia just a stanza before.

And it certainly doesn't help the NHL's policing of its players and coaches who decide to lash out about their on-ice administrators.

Remember back to this season's Winter Classic?

New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella went off in a post-game press conference (no surprise there) about the officiating in the new-found seasonal tradition --

“I’m not sure if NBC got together with the refs and wanted to turn this into an overtime game,” Tortorella

said. “For two good referees, I thought that game was reffed horribly.”

Torts was fined $30,000.00 for his words against the system that feeds him and his family.

Immediately following the NHL's decision to fine Tortorella, Colin Campbell issued this statement --

“There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the league, its officials or its broadcast partners,” Campbell

said in a statement. “People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration, there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.”

Though Campbell's assertion on Briere's off-sides wasn't nearly as brazenfaced as John's after the Winter Classic, it absolutely, no doubt, challenges the integrity of these League officials.

And MORE SO, if you ask me.

Tortorella is known for acting like a smacked *** in front of the camera. What he says on recording equipment is generally taken with a side of salt. But Mr. Campbell, being the League aristocrat that he is, comes off as an incredible hypocrite, and brings the NHL down with him.

Now, if I may use a much more current example (and the main influence behind this article's creation); In last night's Game 1 between the Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks, 'Yotes forward Taylor Pyatt capitalized on a scoring chance inside Chicago's zone --

What an incredible effort keeping the puck behind Chicago's blue line. But anyways...

The controversy here is that the Coyotes clearly had too many men on the ice at one time. As they were getting fresh legs on the next shift, there were six Phoenix skaters on the frozen pond.

Play should have immediately been blown dead, thus eliminating the Coyotes' chance before the goal was scored. But it wasn't.

Another missed call by the NHL's employed referees.

This Pyatt goal added to the final 3 - 2 Phoenix victory. Without that goal, the Hawks would have won in regulation. The game would have never gone to overtime with a 2 - 2 score.

At least, according to the logic of Colin Campbell.

Danny Briere capitalized on his breakaway after cheating over the blue line. Pyatt capitalized on his wrister after a too-many-men call was missed right in front of a linesman in last night's Phoenix win.

Both Clubs are up on their adversaries 1-game to none in their QuarterFinals series. Both Clubs have a controversial goal which -- without it -- would never had given them the opportunity to win had the correct call was made on the ice.

The only difference between Phoenix's circumstance and Philadelphia's circumstance is that Philadelphia's opponent also capitalized on a non-call. And according to the logic at hand, Philadelphia would have won Game 1 by a 3 - 2 decision in regulation. But you won't hear a damn thing from that puppet Campbell about that. You won't hear Campbell issue a statement about Pyatt's goal following a too-many-men infraction.

Why?

Because the Blackhawks don't have a flightless fowl as their crest stitched on their sweaters. It never happened against Pittsburgh, so why even bother acknowledging it?

Professional hockey games are not played in a vacuum. There are thousands of tangible and intangible variables that can influence the game's pulse at once. So I won't even pretend to believe Briere's blown off-sides call is what lost the Penguins the match.

And neither will the Pens head coach --

"That's not why we lost the game," coach Dan Bylsma said immediately afterwards.

Good man. I wish his fans shared the same sentiment.

So, should I hold my breath for Campbell's issued statement regarding the blown call in Glendale, AZ?

Only if I want to do my best impression of David Carradine.

@B21 your on the clock :)

LOL! Thanks for my 15 minutes.

Issuing a official statement and answering a question in an interview are two completely different things.

"... Campbell told The Canadian Press in an interview."

Let me ask you a question...if the interviewer asked Campbell "So Colin, what are you thoughts on Flyers fans?" and Colin replied "They are a bunch of whiney b i t c h e s who are bitter over 37 years of futility and because I turned down their GM job...." does that become the league's official stance on Flyers fans? ;)

Issuing a official statement and answering a question in an interview are two completely different things.

Let me ask you a question...if the interviewer asked Campbell "So Colin, what are you thoughts on Flyers fans?" and Colin replied "They are a bunch of whiney b i t c h e s who are bitter over 37 years of futility and because I turned down their GM job...." does that become the league's official stance on Flyers fans? ;)

so your saying its only an official statement if it was prepared and typed on NHL letterhead. he's a league official everything he says is an official statement B)

Hey guys pr rule #1a everything is on the record... which only follows rule #1 which states the mic is always on.

Campbell is being interviewed because of his capacity as VP of NHL douchebaggery or whatever, he needs to realize he's representing the league at all times, Especially during an "on the record" interview. Whatever he says in that capacity can be construed as a league position...

Personally I don't care what he says, I thought the refs sucked equally for each team, they missed an egregious leg sweep on Fluery by Simmonds but whistled claude "meat" giroux on a vicious boarding call on Orpik things evened out and for they let the players decide the outcome of the game.

campbell needs some media training, because it seems to me like he is often overmatched by weasel reporters and bloggers who want to get / create a story.

so your saying its only an official statement if it was prepared and typed on NHL letterhead. he's a league official everything he says is an official statement B)

Actually...heck yeah. An official league statement is going to be reviewed by a lot more people the just Campbell. Bettman, PR, Marketing, Media...heck, even their lawyers depending on the sensitivity of the topic.

Actually...heck yeah. An official league statement is going to be reviewed by a lot more people the just Campbell. Bettman, PR, Marketing, Media...heck, even their lawyers depending on the sensitivity of the topic.

Are you an MC for a rap group cause you sure can SPIN a record, wiggy wiggy wiggy. :P

The official NHL.com headline on the news story listed on NHL.com (twice) was:

"NHL: Linesman Tony Sericolo erred on offside call"

That at least gives it a league imprimatur.

There is, however, no mention of "apology" - only that the league was "as upset" as the Penguins. Almost. You know. Fingers crossed. Pinky swear.

The important thing here isn't whatever Colin Campbell is blowing out his piehole, it's that this veteran-stocked, Cup-winning Pens squad still blew a 3-1 lead, at home in Game One of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against a team playing six rookies.

@B21, in the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny: "what a maroon!"

""We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost. It's a mistake." But not as upset as Philly about the icing call, or as upset as the Red Wings for the head slam, or as upset as 29 other clubs when refs made a mistake. Just upset when it is Pittsburgh.

Spin away or open your eyes, your choice.

Calling the integrity of the product into question does a lot more damage to everyone's meal ticket.

Does calling the integrity of the product into question do more damage than ACTUALLY losing the integrity of the product?

@B21, in the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny: "what a maroon!"

""We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost. It's a mistake." But not as upset as Philly about the icing call, or as upset as the Red Wings for the head slam, or as upset as 29 other clubs when refs made a mistake. Just upset when it is Pittsburgh.

Spin away or open your eyes, your choice.

Ted:

You took your ball and ran in the middle of a p i s s i n g match you started. I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. You challenged me (as well as another poster) to give you examples and I did (as did he). Then you suspiciously disappeared for a few days...and don't make excuses as you were all over Silly.com with your whining, ranting and raving lunacy.

Either pick up where we left off or let it go. But don't start something else. That's your MO...take some small issue, make a mountain out of a mole hill and then rant about it for days on end. When challenged on it...and in this case really challenged...you run for cover. Rinse and repeat.

Does calling the integrity of the product into question do more damage than ACTUALLY losing the integrity of the product?

@SpikeDDS:

Are you really saying that Torts was calling a spade a spade? That the league WAS trying to fix the WC in favor of the Flyers? Unlike a vocal percentage of fans, I believe the league attempts to run their operation legitimately. Screwups happen.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Edited by LongTimeLurk
  • Like 1

Not necessarily. But there is a gathering of evidence that is beginning to look quite predictable that the league both plays favorites and influences how games are called which DOES challenge the integrity of the game itself.

Example: Gary Bettman is in the building and suddenly the two least-penalized teams during the regular season get assessed seventeen penalties, many of which are ticky-tack. Is that in itself awful? No and yes. No, because at least the game was poorly called evenly. But Yes, because IT SHOULDN'T MATTER WHETHER BETTMAN IS IN THE BUILDING OR NOT, but apparently it does! That goes against the integrity of the game. That shows league influence is real. It doesn't prove it, but it suggests it strongly.

There are other examples like Weber facing Zetterburg into the boards. $2,500? Really? And the strange thing is that it is on the record that I predicted no suspension. Why? Because Shea Weber is a big star on a team that Bettman wants desperately to succeed. He wants parity.

More importantly, he couldn't sit out the Predators' mighty captain and biggest star for a game, because it might affect ratings for the game! (I argue that it's not so much about teams as it is star players, Shea Weber being a crucial one in "Hockeytown South." Gimme a break on the name-stealing, BTW!)

The evidence is there. It just depends on whether you want to ask the tough questions or ignore the trends that become obvious when you look with an open mind.

You took your ball and ran in the middle of a p i s s i n g match you started. I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about. You challenged me (as well as another poster) to give you examples and I did (as did he

Forgive me for not making this site my daily Shrine. But after repeated requests you and Apologist most certainly did NOT give any such examples as you claimed to. I asked several times and neither of you pointed out any specifics to Sunday's games, just generalities that probably somewhere if you looked at all of the games all season you might see a Flyer doing something similar to the four slashes, three punches in the face, two rabbit punches, and a deliberate knee to knee hit that the Penguins committed and got away with that Sunday. You insisted that the Flyers got away with just as much but didn't point to a single instance. At some point your baseless and unsubstantiated whining becomes simply irrelevant.

Seriously, you actually came up with NINE infractions from Sunday's game? Hell include Saturday and Wednesday too, just to make it interesting, to match the well documented fouls of the Penguins?!? Ok.. looking back... after a WEEK after the initial discussion you come up with three. Does that excuse Malkin punching Couturier in the face?!? Two or three times?!? Or punching Giroux in the back of the head twice?!? And I do remember hearing the announcers mention Shelley throwing an elbow at Engelland, but why is this hearsay so important to you when you go out of your way to deny the actual video evidence that I challenged you with?

Seriously you have to admit that the Penguins got away with far FAR more than the Flyers that Sunday. You attempting to argue without any basis of fact is ridiculous, really. 9 to 3.

And now we have Campbell calling out the officials to make sure that, while legitimate icings are waived off in the Pens' favor, offsides will be called if the Flyers even almost let the puck come near the blue line.

Has any team and it's fans ever whined so much about getting special treatment from the league?!?

the refs probably were not directed by the league to rig the winter classic but i definitely believe emotion either subconscously or consciously got involved. the flyers were given every opportunity to tie that game up and most of it was garbage.

as for campbell, the OP is correct. it may not be out and out favoritism, but there is a major incompetence and hypocrisy issue in the league office.

I would answer "yes"!! But then, I thought that already was the League's official position on the Flyers. Even though @irishjim didn't go so far to admit to a League Conspiracy in his original post, which I totally agreed with, I'll do it here - the League, led by Bettman and Campbell, are conspiring against the Flyers!