Colin Campbell & the NHL's Big Wigs Are Extreme Hypocrites

Guest Irishjim

@TedZep

<< Forgive me for not making this site my daily Shrine. But after repeated requests you and Apologist most certainly did NOT give any such examples as you claimed to. I asked several times and neither of you pointed out any specifics to Sunday's games...>>

Like I said. Pick one game and run with it, Teddy.

You want to play the "one game" game? Fine. Game 1. First round of the playoffs. Missed a slew by Simmonds on Fleury. No penalty and dirty. I want my suspension. Wouldn't you if that happened to Bryz? Of course YOU would. 1st period...Hartnell cross checks Kunitz in the head. Around the 18:45 mark. No call. They missed a charge on Briere around the 8:00 minute mark. Missed a cross check on Jagr around 12:45. Lest we forget the offsides...using Ted rationale that counts as 2 since it led directly to a goal. That's 6-0 after two periods in Game 1 including a very influential goal. And I stopped watching with my Super-Duper-Catch-Anything-Teddy goggles in the 3rd because...well...it reallly made the game a lot less enjoyable.

You got ANYTHING from Game 1? The icing call was legit. Your guy played the man...could have played the puck. Good call. The PP's the Pens had were good calls. You're b i t c h i n g about 9-3? Good, I have my 6-0 + a goal that should never have been...without even keeping tabs in the 3rd. I have a bunch of hits by Kunitz, Dupuis and Staal that were totally clean. The worst was on Orpik...and it got called.

I'm sorry I didn't watch that Sunday game you harp on with the same "let's see what missed calls I can find" attitude with which you seem to watch every game. Instead I took the next game and gave you 3 examples in the first ten minutes including some pretty bad stuff and I am up 6-0 after two periods in Game 1.

BTW, the punch and elbow were thrown by Rinaldo and Shelly who you say are soooooooo unfairly targeted by the league. So what more do you want, Teddy? That's three examples JUST LIKE YOURS in the first ten minutes of the very next game between the teams. 6 from Game 1 and two that were pretty bad....one just GOD awful.

These punches you refer to in your Sunday game rant...part of scrums, no? After the whistle kinda thing, right? Rinaldo clocked Kennedy during play right in front of the official.

<< And now we have Campbell calling out the officials to make sure that, while legitimate icings are waived off in the Pens' favor, offsides will be called if the Flyers even almost let the puck come near the blue line. >>

This again? Tell me, Ted. Did you have any issues with Campbell calling out the officials after they missed Clowe playing the puck from the bench? You can't have a problem with one and not the other. And I know if you did take issue with Campbell "apologizing" for the Clowe incident. So post that. If not, shut up about and stop being a whiny hypocrite.

<< Has any team and it's fans ever whined so much about getting special treatment from the league? >>

Um, yeah. You. Or have you forgotten already what most of your posts are about?

• Like 1

<< Has any team and it's fans ever whined so much about getting special treatment from the league? >>

Um, yeah. You. Or have you forgotten already what most of your posts are about?

The difference is the type of 'special treatment.' The Penguins and their fans whine when a game is called fairly, they are so used to special treatment.

These punches you refer to in your Sunday game rant...part of scrums, no?

Um, no. Malkin had hit Giroux from behind and rode on his back to the ice. Then he punched him in the back of the head while he was prone. Are you actually commenting about a game that you apparently didn't watch? How did you miss all this? And Malkin punching Couturier in the face, also not part of a scrum. And Asham skating around a linesman to punch Rinaldo, also not a scrum. You protest far too much, and are legless to boot.

The reason I spoke about that game is because the thread was about that game! Quit channeling kuato, you have to be better than that.

Campbell said if the officials had seen Clowe interfere with the puck it should have been a minor penalty. He didn't have near the emotional investment in explaining how "upset" and "irked" he was that officials let Briere score. Very different tones. Why do you choose to ignore that?

@TedZep

This debate seems so "last week"....

<< The difference is the type of 'special treatment.' The Penguins and their fans whine when a game is called fairly, they are so used to special treatment. >>

Fans of every team whine. You don't think the Flyers fans have a reputation as some of the biggest whiners out there? Our stars have been suspended. Letang this year. Neal last year (and now again this year of course). Sometimes our stars have avoided suspension. Malkin. Guess what...so have other teams! Shea Webber anyone?

<< Um, no. Malkin had hit Giroux from behind and rode on his back to the ice. Then he punched him in the back of the head while he was prone. Are you actually commenting about a game that you apparently didn't watch? How did you miss all this? And Malkin punching Couturier in the face, also not part of a scrum. And Asham skating around a linesman to punch Rinaldo, also not a scrum. You protest far too much, and are legless to boot. >>

Ted: I gave you your "9-3" in that game. 9-3 in that game does not a conspiracy/bias make when I can come back with what I did. Still don't know why you are harping on a single game.

<< The reason I spoke about that game is because the thread was about that game! Quit channeling kuato, you have to be better than that. >>

See above. Like threads NEVER get off topic either.

<< Campbell said if the officials had seen Clowe interfere with the puck it should have been a minor penalty. He didn't have near the emotional investment in explaining how "upset" and "irked" he was that officials let Briere score. Very different tones. Why do you choose to ignore that? >>

You can get tones from written statements now? Good grief. In both cases he 1) did not apologize and 2) did say a bad call was made and it bothered him. He made a THIRD similar statement about that Blue Jackets/Kings game, too (the clock malfunction). If you have to drill down THAT much to make an argument then you really have no argument.

@B21: It was last week, why are you keepin' on keepin' on at the same time whining about it?

"Like threads NEVER get off topic either." You have really weird logic. Difficult to call it "logic", really. This thread was about a particular game. We were having a discussion about that game. You started talking about other games and asked me why I was referring to this game in particular; I pointed out that game was this thread's topic. So you took the thread off topic and then whine about me staying on topic? Weird.

"You can get tones from written statements now?" Listen, Kuato, as you pointed out it was an interview and yes words do convey meaning and tone, whether spoken or written. "We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost." Was he "upset" that the officials missed the other calls? Nope, he merely stated an opinion, quite dispassionately. He only used the word "upset" in one case and one case only. He expressed an emotional investment in the Pens case, none of the others. Why are you so resistant to these facts?

And the league gives us more reason to believe there is a strong bias in the Penguins favor:

Neal getting suspended zero games for his hit on Couturier and Torres getting suspended indefinitely for a similar hit.

@TedZep

<< It was last week, why are you keepin' on keepin' on at the same time whining about it? >>

I'm all for agree to disagree since 1) it's old news and B) there is much more interesting things to go on about.

<< "Like threads NEVER get off topic either." You have really weird logic. Difficult to call it "logic", really. This thread was about a particular game. We were having a discussion about that game. You started talking about other games and asked me why I was referring to this game in particular; I pointed out that game was this thread's topic. So you took the thread off topic and then whine about me staying on topic? Weird. >>

Not really. You cited that game as part of your Pens' favoritism argument, no? I went to another game to prove otherwise. Maybe off a very specific topic but still relevant.

<< "You can get tones from written statements now?" Listen, Kuato, as you pointed out it was an interview and yes words do convey meaning and tone, whether spoken or written. "We're as upset as Pittsburgh almost." Was he "upset" that the officials missed the other calls? Nope, he merely stated an opinion, quite dispassionately. He only used the word "upset" in one case and one case only. He expressed an emotional investment in the Pens case, none of the others. Why are you so resistant to these facts? >>

Campbell on Clowe...

If the officials had seen the actions of Ryane Clowe it would have definitely been a two-minute interference penalty,” Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior vice president for hockey operations, told The Times on Friday. “It was obviously a missed call.” – LA Times

He made similar comments about the Kings/Blue Jackets clock malfunction. But because he said "angry" with the offsides call you take issue? That's nitpicking.

And the league gives us more reason to believe there is a strong bias in the Penguins favor:

Neal getting suspended zero games for his hit on Couturier and Torres getting suspended indefinitely for a similar hit.

What about Weber? Carkner?

Edited by B21

Campbell on Clowe...

He made similar comments about the Kings/Blue Jackets clock malfunction. But because he said "angry" with the offsides call you take issue? That's nitpicking.

No it's not, it's the whole point! He is one of the top league officials and is supposed to have the benefit of the entire league in mind, and an equal share in the well being for all 30 teams. This is obviously not the case. He pointed out that other officials missed some calls. Fine, that is the correct response. But with only one team did he express being outraged, upset even, as much as the offended team. In no other case did he express any empathy with the missed calls, just the Pens. Did anyone consider his statements as being an "apology" to any other team? Nope, just the Penguins, and that feeling was widespread.

You are the one picking nits "it wasn't a statement, it was an answer to an interview question." There was a period at the end of his sentence, it was a statement. He was upset that the refs let Briere score. He wasn't upset that icing was curiously waived off, he wasn't upset that Clowe interfered, he wasn't upset about the clock hiccup.

Answer one question: Out of all 30 teams, which is the only team that Campbell expressed being upset because a call didn't go their way? It is a very very simple question. There are no nuances. There is only one answer. Well?

No it's not, it's the whole point! He is one of the top league officials and is supposed to have the benefit of the entire league in mind, and an equal share in the well being for all 30 teams. This is obviously not the case. He pointed out that other officials missed some calls. Fine, that is the correct response. But with only one team did he express being outraged, upset even, as much as the offended team. In no other case did he express any empathy with the missed calls, just the Pens. Did anyone consider his statements as being an "apology" to any other team? Nope, just the Penguins, and that feeling was widespread.

You are the one picking nits "it wasn't a statement, it was an answer to an interview question." There was a period at the end of his sentence, it was a statement. He was upset that the refs let Briere score. He wasn't upset that icing was curiously waived off, he wasn't upset that Clowe interfered, he wasn't upset about the clock hiccup.

Answer one question: Out of all 30 teams, which is the only team that Campbell expressed being upset because a call didn't go their way? It is a very very simple question. There are no nuances. There is only one answer. Well?

"Statement" implies he went out of his way to say something. Stop arguing like Kuato. "Colin Campbell released a statement today...." It was an interview. He was asked. He answered. "Period". Again....nitpicking. Sure he could have chosen his words better but this is a total reach on your part. Put it this way, if there is no interview, there is no.....statement. "Period".

So any thoughts on Weber? Carkner? You keep picking and choosing the suspensions that make your case and leaving out the ones that don't. So If there is clear Pens bias as you say, please explain Weber getting NO games and Carkner getting 1 for what was BY FAR the worst incident of what has been a poorly disciplined post-season.

If there is bias, would that mean Asham would go undisciplined or get less games than he did, no? Yet he got the longest suspension to date (I think Torres will be more when that is announced). Wouldn't they not rescind the Adams suspension and Bylsma fine if they were biased? Every Pen who should have been suspended from that game WAS suspended.

I see you want to jump off topic again and redirect away from how upset Campbell was that the Flyers made it a 1-3 game and talk about how inconsistent Shanahan has been. Because Campbell talking about the officials and Shanahan suspending players is apparently the exact same thing to you.

@B21, since you jumped off topic more than once, I'm going to give it a shot: Why do you think Malkin's deliberate elbow to Grossman's head that put him out for at least the next game wasn't reviewed by the NHL?

Hmmm?

@TedZep

because Grossmann didn't appear fazed by it.. why would a ref call that ? it was the first of 2 hits that probably gave 8 the concussion, the shot from kennedy was clean and hard and that is the hit where 8 showed signs of injury.

@B21, since you jumped off topic more than once, I'm going to give it a shot: Why do you think Malkin's deliberate elbow to Grossman's head that put him out for at least the next game wasn't reviewed by the NHL?

Hmmm?

Hmmmm...

Maybe for the same reason Rinaldo's punch to Kennedy's head wasn't? (4/7/12 - 9:00 of the 1st period...)

Maybe for the same reason Hartnell's 3 punches to the back of Ponikarovsky's head followed by his attempted shot to the head (of course he missed) followed by his slash wasn't? All in a span of 10 seconds; the punches being the primary offense. (2/4/12)

Maybe for the same reason Vlad Sobotka's blatant sucker punch of Steve Sullivan wasn't? (1/24/12)

Maybe for the same reason T.J. Galiardi's hit on Andy McDonald wasn't? (4/14/12)

Maybe for the same reason Briere's hit on Neidermeyer in the Buffalo series last year wasn't when a similar hit by Lucic in the series with the Habs was?

You can't even definitively call that a head shot....well, you can. His head doesn't snap back like it was just hit. Grossman continues on apparently unfazed. Heck, your own announcers didn't even address it.

And before you start screaming that it had to be a head shot since he missed the next game with a concussion I point to Nystrom's hit on Letang earlier this year. Not a head shot and Letang missed the next 8-10 games with a.....concussion.

Must have hit the headboard pretty hard romping around with Crosby and Bettman eh? I kid I kid, haha.

I know I know :D

You guys should know by now I don't get upset over that petty/funny stuff.

Maybe for the same reason

Are you actually defending Malkin as a cheap shot artist? He has the reputation, Hartnell does not. Pest, yes, dirty player, no. The Pens organization is dirty top to bottom and apparently continues all way to the gutters with their fans.

Look at you, it took you all of 5 separate games to come up with almost as many questionable shots as the Penguins took in this one single game alone. And only two weeks of research, too. Bravo!