Bobby Clarke’s smile shines through; Flyers down Penguins, 8-5

Guest Irishjim

flyers%20Pens%2004132012-02.jpg

I want to start this off by saying chill out, don’t even give those turd muffins across the state any ammo. Quiet confidence…

The Flyers came into Friday night’s tilt with the heavily favored Pittsburgh Penguins looking to grab a 2-0 lead in the series. The chances were slim since Pittsburgh had all but won the series according to 95% of the experts, almost as slim as a lanky kid born in Phoenix, AZ being picked 8th overall (thanks Columbus) in the NHL entry draft. But nevertheless, the Flyers prevailed, 8-5.

Well I would like to officially thank the Philadelphia Flyers for successfully removing 4 or 5 years from me life. I don’t know what it is about this team. They have me charged up. But whatever it is, I like it, I really, really like it. I just wish I wouldn’t have to like it so hard from 2 or 3 goals down every night.

Anyway….

The first period started out, well, about how every first period has for the Flyers in the last, about, bagillion games. Only this time it even set a record. Crosby scored just a mere 15 seconds into the contest, setting a record for the fastest goal against. The quickest had been Jim Pappin, for the Chicago Blackhawks, in just 21 seconds. 21 seconds? Hmmm….That’s longer than Pierre McGuire lasts once Crosby hits the ice. But don’t even get me started on that biased piece of dung.

Things didn’t get much better for the Flyers as Colin Campbell’s flying monkeys got involved. Philadelphia fell behind even further on a power play goal from the Penguins Chris Kunitz. Big MO was certainly in favor of the hometown Penguins as the first period slipped away. Then, on yet another Penguins powerplay, the Flyers finally got into the game. Giroux backhanded a puck off of Fleury and Max Talbot rammed home the shorthanded rebound to make it 2-1.

Honestly, I can’t even remember much more of the play by play, as I was jumping around like Richard Simmons on crack for the rest of the contest. But what I can tell you is that Sean Couturier is a panty droppin' stud. Plain and simple. Not only does the kid show poise and hockey sense beyond his age, but he holds the Hart trophy frontrunner, Evgeni “Shrek” Malkin, to just 2 assists thus far in the playoffs. And he can't even legally drink yet in the United States....

Oh, and Sean netted a hat trick tonight, while wearing the famous Bobby Clarke smile.

Isn’t that just enough to piss you off, Evgeni? Just thought you might want to know.

So I’m going to divert a bit away from your prototypical game review. BEAR with me..Haha

I have been watching the Flyers for, at risk of aging myself, almost 30 years now. Not saying that makes me more of an expert than the next guy, but I can see heart, determination, and sheer determination to win. This team has it. Despite being on the road, against a HEAVILY favored and star laden team, they just find a way to win. Down 3-0? Down by 2, twice? Who gives a ****? Let’s just giddy up and grind the piss out of them.

Moxy.

That is the word that comes to mind when describing this bunch of guys.

Now before I start skating around with the Cup two games into the Playoffs, let me reel it in a bit.

There is still a long way to go. And Pittsburgh is an extremely talented team. Falling behind early is not a recipe for success to go deep into the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Bryzgalov has shown flashes of brilliance and shades of facepalm. If the orange and black plan on marching very deep into the second season, they need to clean up their first periods. A LOT. But, hey, the Flyers just keep putting it all together and winning. So who am I to question a good thing? Just a suggestion from your friendly, neighborhood, blogger.

Oh and by the way, how is your goalie advantage working out thus far, Pittsburgh?

*cough* 5.45 GAA .804 SV % for Fleury*cough*

It remains to be seen just how this season ends for the orange and black warriors. I mean, hell, they might not even make it past this series. But I, for one, am damn proud to call this team mine. They take **** from nobody, piss everyone off, and win hockey games. And when it boils down to it, what else do we ask for as Philly fans?

Nothing.

So raise a glass, toast to a 2-0 series lead, and take pride in your team. It certainly is a special bunch of guys. And who knows? It may just end in...

14. More. Knock Knocks.

Giddy up, kids, let’s go……

Until next time…

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!