The Bad News

Guest trevluk

Not to be Debbie Downer because I am thrilled the Flyers are up 2-0 but there are some serious issues that need to be corrected if the Flyers are going to have a successful post season. So far the Flyers have come out flat both games and given big leads to the Pens. Yes they have shown resolve and battled back but this is not a strategy for long term success. Also, not for nothin, but Bryz and the defense have not been good. So far in the playoffs, Bryz has a 4.0 GAA and a .857 SP. How we are up 2-0 in this series with those kind of numbers is beyond me. This kind of hockey may or may not get us past the Penguins but it sure as heck wont cut it against someone like the Rangers.

Edited by trevluk

if you think bryz is the problem so far, you havent been watching. team defense was HORRIBLE tonight. Bryz made several highlight saves. only kennedy's goal was softish, but really the team sold out bryz all night and he bailed them out 99% of the time.

• Like 1

How we are up 2-0 in this series with those kind of numbers is beyond me

You have a goalie in Fluery whose numbers are making Bryz's save percentage and goals allowed look gaudy.............You are not kidding about won't go far against the Rangers, their Defense AND Goaltending are light years above the Pens...

We'd have to get past Boston first. But their D and goaltending is also way better than Pens. Bryz won't win against either of those two playing the way he is. The goals aren't all on him, I'm not saying that. But he HAS to be better than he has.been, which has been average. Yes he's made some great saves, and he's let in some goals great goalies stop. So far he's been far from great.

So far the Flyers have come out flat both games and given big leads to the Pens.

Understand what you're saying, but I disagree. I think the Pens are coming out with a huge push in the first period and trying to hang on. That's not going to work against this team because they have the ability to come back. It's a "The Tortoise and the Hare" story playing out.

• Like 1

Well we can forget the Bruins and the Rags for another week at least, because the heavy lifting in this series is still to come for the Flyers.

Yes it's great, it's awesome, incredible, we're up 2-zip. But the Flyers are not exactly the best home team in the POs - far from it. And afternoon games seem to be their Achilles Heel. Our goaltender has not been anything close to "excellent." He's been good enough, which I guess is - okay, it's good enough. For now.

But - Pittsburgh can win 2 in Philly and this series could be tied in a few days. I'm not counting out the Pens just yet. Not even close.

Edited by canoli
  • Like 2

Understand what you're saying, but I disagree. I think the Pens are coming out with a huge push in the first period and trying to hang on. That's not going to work against this team because they have the ability to come back. It's a "The Tortoise and the Hare" story playing out.

I gotta tell ya, as someone who is pretty neutral (at least until the SCF's), I think if you continue to rely on that game to save you, you lose. Catch-up hockey is losing hockey. Not every night, but if you continuously give other teams early leads, eventually you will start getting burned more regularly. It's one thing to be a team that scores more in the 2nd and 3rd periods. It's another to continually go down 2 or 3 goals in the 1st.

But I can't complain about the excitement that these two games have produced, though! It's like we're back in the days before the traps became prominent. Comeback hockey sure is fun to watch, even for someone who doesn't care too much about who wins and loses. Fun!

• Like 1

@AlaskaFlyerFan

We've still got to win 2 more against these pens.

But if we go down 2 goals against a team like Boston or the Rangers, it'll be a lot bigger hole to climb out of than it is against these 'Guins.

@ FC, my comments are focused on this series only. I think the Pens are coming out too fast and can't keep up that kind of pace for more than 1 period. I'd like to see the Flyers NOT fall behind in the begining of the game like they have, but I don't think they are coming out "flat".

I gotta tell ya, as someone who is pretty neutral (at least until the SCF's), I think if you continue to rely on that game to save you, you lose. Catch-up hockey is losing hockey. Not every night, but if you continuously give other teams early leads, eventually you will start getting burned more regularly. It's one thing to be a team that scores more in the 2nd and 3rd periods. It's another to continually go down 2 or 3 goals in the 1st.

But I can't complain about the excitement that these two games have produced, though! It's like we're back in the days before the traps became prominent. Comeback hockey sure is fun to watch, even for someone who doesn't care too much about who wins and loses. Fun!

Totally agree.

@SpikeDDS

Yeah agreed. Diminishing returns from playing catch up hockey. On the other hand, it suggests that the Flyers are very confident in general in their ability to generate offense, be it 5-on-5, PP or PK no matter what the score. And that's a good thing.

@Podein25

Oh no question there's a ton of value in the ability to turn it around quick after letting one in and even in just believing that you can because you've done it time and again. Momentum is huge, and that is a momentum-killing ability right there.

But ya can't make that your model or you lose too much. History doesn't lie. Much better used after taking the lead, and the opposition gets one back to climb closer and then you squash the momentum like a bug! That's how you should use ability like that, and that model wins much more than catch-up hockey does.

This is just two similar teams playing their game without making adjustments. We can beat Pitt with this 'run and gun' system, because they play it as well.

On the other hand, the Rangers and Bruins are just not a good matchup for us because Lavi will not adjust to the opposition.

Not to be Debbie Downer because I am thrilled the Flyers are up 2-0 but there are some serious issues that need to be corrected if the Flyers are going to have a successful post season. So far the Flyers have come out flat both games and given big leads to the Pens. Yes they have shown resolve and battled back but this is not a strategy for long term success. Also, not for nothin, but Bryz and the defense have not been good. So far in the playoffs, Bryz has a 4.0 GAA and a .857 SP. How we are up 2-0 in this series with those kind of numbers is beyond me. This kind of hockey may or may not get us past the Penguins but it sure as heck wont cut it against someone like the Rangers.

I think it has to be borne in mind that we are playing perhaps the most explosive offense in the NHL right now. The games are going to be high-scoring. Bryz is not going to pitch a shutout in this series unless something weird happens.

He has played well, despite the GAA. He has made humongous saves in both games.

If we play NJ or NYR, it will be a dramatically different series - neither of those teams has a dynamic offense. Those are teams that Bryz can shine against.

And I think that if this Flyers offense keeps clicking like this, there is not a team that can stop them.

• Like 2

I agree, but I think the more this young team wins, the more confidence they will gain.

And the more confidence they gain, the harder they will be to beat.

Nothing seems to faze them.

if you think bryz is the problem so far, you havent been watching. team defense was HORRIBLE tonight. Bryz made several highlight saves. only kennedy's goal was softish, but really the team sold out bryz all night and he bailed them out 99% of the time.

I have been watching the games which is why I said the Bryz and the Defense has not been good. I probably should have put more emphasis on the D but it is not as easily quantifiable as goalie numbers! ;) You are right though, I should have given props to some of the amazing saves he made last night. 2 of them may go down as "saves of the playoffs" regardless how far the Flyers go.

I think it is both. Pens are coming out with a huge push but the Flyers arent even close to matching their intensity.

@ Trevluk - Philly's best two blueliners from the past two season are out and Timo is playing a limited 15 min a game, it's a battle to to limit the opponent's scoring chances. That being said, they've outscored the Pens 11-2 after the first period. When's the last time Malkin was a -4?!

The Bruins or the Rangers are not going to play pond hockey with us like the Pens. Defensive teams with great goaltending...

Pens tried to play Flyer's hockey and it backfired on them. Flyers are still deeper and this will help the longer the series takes.It was clear in the late stages our young players were ready to go the distance. I would like to see more concentration from Bryz should have been ready for that backhander even though he was xcreened by on of his own.

He's ranked 14th in GAA and 15th in save percentage. That ain't good enough.

i'm not saying he's been great, but those numbers don't mean a lot with a small sample size. 2 games is not enough to look at averages. the bottom line to me is he's been better than the guy at the other end of the rink. so long as that continues to be the case, the flyers are in good shape. the penguins are the only team in the league that can match the flyers' firepower; *if* they can get past pittsburgh, he won't see the same kind of multi-pronged attack that the pens are throwing at him.

that is a big *if*. up 2-0 is spectacular, but the penguins are still to be feared. the flyers have been better on the road all season, and pittsburgh seems to revel in the boo-ing at the WFC. plus, the curse of the afternoon game. tomorrow will be interesting.

• Like 1