Anti-Smoking Ads During Hockey Games

Guest Merrick

Does anybody else have a problem with these ridiculously over-the-top ads? Frankly, I resent the fact that I'm forced to sit through them during games that air on the NBC networks.

First of all, they're too graphic. Definitely not the kind of stuff that you want to see (and hear) when you're sitting in front of the TV with a beer and a plate of nachos.

Second, I'm not even a smoker. This is probably what annoys me the most—I'm being preached to about a problem that I don't even have.

I guess I could simply change the channel when these ads come on. At the same time, I shouldn't need to be ready to go all Quick Draw McGraw with my remote every time a game cuts to commercial.

I understand that smoking/cancer is bad, and that these ads are designed to shock people into seeing that. But watching hockey is an escape for me, and I just don't think I need to look at this sort of nonsense when I'm trying to unwind and enjoy myself.

The way I try to see it, it's supposed to help those who feel they can't help themselves. If you need a horse in the race so to speak, if those ads cut down the number of smokers, theoretically your health insurance premiums should go down. Smokers are more likely to have health problems, and non-smokers are stuck with the bill.

At least it isn't those ASPCA commercials with all the wounded animals and Sarah McLaughlin...now that's pure garbage.

The way I try to see it, it's supposed to help those who feel they can't help themselves. If you need a horse in the race so to speak, if those ads cut down the number of smokers, theoretically your health insurance premiums should go down. Smokers are more likely to have health problems, and non-smokers are stuck with the bill.

At least it isn't those ASPCA commercials with all the wounded animals and Sarah McLaughlin...now that's pure garbage.

I totally hear ya on this, but I still feel like I'm being imposed upon in some way. Should I be worried that someone's going to start an anti-alcohol campaign and force me to look at cirrhosis of the liver pics?

I also don't think that the ads are appropriate for the hockey-viewing audience. There are probably a lot of real young kids out there—that is, too young to even understand the anti-smoking message—who have been terrified by those commericals. If I would've seen that stuff when I was five or six years old, I would've had nightmares for weeks.

You're absoultely right about the ASPCA commercials—they're the worst!

I smoke. These ads make me want to smoke more. Tired of smokers being singled out as the cause of all the world's problems. Where are the target ads for overeaters, drinkers, habitual masturbaters and lazy f**ks too fat to get off the couch?