Does the NHL suspend Neal and Asham?

Guest Lunatic

Honestly, if any of these plays were Flyers they would have been majors, game misconducts, suspensions and special talks from the league.

It wasn't the Flyers gooning it up tonight. It was the classless Penguins "organization" (and I use that term loosely).

But Malkin doesn't get suspended in Detroit for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals despite drawing an instigator penalty in the final 19 seconds of a 3-1 loss to Detroit in Game 2. I'd bet money that Adams gets a pass too - if the NHL is going to be consistent with how it assesses penalties (or doesn't) to the Pengiuns. If the League is going to be inconsistent with such penalties, then he should get a game suspension.

the rule allows for the league to revoke the suspension at their discretion. in malkin's case, it was not wanting to influence a playoff game with a technicality. adams does not have anywhere near the impact malkin does, and i can't see the league extending that deference to a 4th line mucker.

the rule allows for the league to revoke the suspension at their discretion. in malkin's case, it was not wanting to influence a playoff game with a technicality. adams does not have anywhere near the impact malkin does, and i can't see the league extending that deference to a 4th line mucker.

I do have to agree that Malkin's fight in this circumstance was not what I would consider part of the intent of the rule.

He's still a classless jerk.

I agree. It shouldn't extend that deference to a fourth liner. And not to dredge up past League decisions, but it should not have deferred in the Malkin case. You're either an instigator or you are not. It should be applied consistently. I don't like the fact the league has discretion. Creates too many opportunities to play favorites. Or creates the perception of playing favorites.

Asham will get 4 - League will keep him out for the remainder of the series to prevent anyone going back after him, and since he's a 3rd/4th liner, the league won't care too much. Adams will get the 1 automatic. Him attacking Hartnell from behind/third man in has got to be considered "sending a message." He didn't really do anything particularly dangerous or egregious otherwise to warrant more. I'm not even sure he actually pulled Hartnell's hair. At least not intentionally.

Neal is a tougher call. I think it warrants 1-2 games, but who knows. I think the head was close to the primary point of contact, but the angles aren't too clear cut. He definitely leaves his feet, but there's no elbow. He is a repeat offender. Even a number of Pens fans have been calling that hit cheap. League may also worry about vigilante justice, and give him a game to try to pacify the Flyers players. I'm thinking a fine, though.

If it was just that hit on Couturier I could see (not particularly like, but see) no suspension. But then a few minutes later he goes after Giroux, and that looked more intentional than the hit on Couturier. I think if you're a repeat offender in the same game, you gotta get something.

While the Giroux hit was a charge from a long way away, he hit Couturier (a) without the puck (B) when he wasn't looking and © he left his feet. I thought Neal was the best (only) Pen on the ice until this point of the game. Following the lead of his captain, he lost it at this point. But as a repeat offender, repeatedly offending in one game, he should get a game. We've seen how the NHL treats Pens though, and I expect him to play. Hartnell should just blindside Crosby without the puck and we'll call it even.

See Sheridan's article. The NHL is in a bind. The Pens are the NHL's favorite sons. They can do no wrong. Sid is the "fair-haired-boy (girl"). They are very protected/favored. Collectively the legues marketing stars. However, Gary Bettman is a lawyer first last and always. If the NHL does not act quickly and decisively in regard to blatant headhunting, they are opening themselves up for a massive NFL type, class action law suit, by previous players, for allowing/encouraging play that permanently impairs the players cognitive and physical functioning. It will be interesting to see how the league responds today.

But Malkin doesn't get suspended in Detroit for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals despite drawing an instigator penalty in the final 19 seconds of a 3-1 loss to Detroit in Game 2. I'd bet money that Adams gets a pass too - if the NHL is going to be consistent with how it assesses penalties (or doesn't) to the Pengiuns. If the League is going to be inconsistent with such penalties, then he should get a game suspension.

Actually there were TWO misconduct and one automatic suspendable offenses, the fight plus the tie down not being tied down-worse than a technicality

Colon Campbell less useful than a real colon, spews S**it but does not eliminate waste

Neal to have two hearings, Asham to have an in-person.

https://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/status/191905570951938048

This means they can throw the book at Asham. No limit on the supplemental discipline following an in person hearing.

Nothing for Adams, I'd think they'll probably just let the automatic one game ban stand.

@AJgoal

Its going to be tough to not suspend Neal if he's having two separate hearings for two separate incidents in the same game.

But I've been surprised before by the NHL. I think the NHL might do the right thing and all 3 get a suspension. They all completely lost it in the game and I would imagine the NHL does not want that to be allowed.

@AJgoal

Its going to be tough to not suspend Neal if he's having two separate hearings for two separate incidents in the same game.

But I've been surprised before by the NHL. I think the NHL might do the right thing and all 3 get a suspension. They all completely lost it in the game and I would imagine the NHL does not want that to be allowed.

It would be very tough for the Pens to get anything going playing away with no Neal and 2/3 of the 4th line gone. The Flyers would be in match up heaven.

• Like 1

Both caught on tape, both guilty. But I vote, umh, maybe Asham, not Neal. Nah. No suspensions.

HELL YEAH, prior history and TWO dirty plays on different players with intent on injuring...Shanny needs to make an example.

Yet he's a skilled play on the NHL's beloved Pensgwens....so no it won't happen.