One gutless move after another ... How many are there today?

Guest canoli

Just how many displays of cheapshot-hockey are there by the Pens today? I missed the game, trying to catch up and it's like 1 OMG move after another. Asham what the hell was that all about? For a clean hit the Schenn made? Asham goes for a Full--speed crosscheck to the button. Man that's brutal.

You should be out-of-your-mind pissed to do something like that, not just upset your guy got his clock cleaned by a good check. Jeez.

James Neal? Is this really the guy you want to be? Great skill but the cheapshots - and open-ice cheapshots, that's what's so wrong about it imho. Where's the respect for the game, where you're not even trying to sneak some dirty whacks in, you're just going for a big fat "I don't care WHAT this looks like."

Hell there's nothing wrong with winning ugly and if you have to beat the snot out of the opposition you do it. But these wide-open cheapshots are kind of pathetic to me. Maybe I'm crazy but I respect a guy who plays dirty within the rules...if you know what I mean. Not this WrestleMania BULLSH--

Just how many displays of cheapshot-hockey are there by the Pens today? I missed the game, trying to catch up and it's like 1 OMG move after another. Asham what the hell was that all about? For a clean hit the Schenn made? Asham goes for a Full--speed crosscheck to the button. Man that's brutal.

You should be out-of-your-mind pissed to do something like that, not just upset your guy got his clock cleaned by a good check. Jeez.

James Neal? Is this really the guy you want to be? Great skill but the cheapshots - and open-ice cheapshots, that's what's so wrong about it imho. Where's the respect for the game, where you're not even trying to sneak some dirty whacks in, you're just going for a big fat "I don't care WHAT this looks like."

Hell there's nothing wrong with winning ugly and if you have to beat the snot out of the opposition you do it. But these wide-open cheapshots are kind of pathetic to me. Maybe I'm crazy but I respect a guy who plays dirty within the rules...if you know what I mean. Not this WrestleMania BULLSH--

Matt Cooke is also rounding into form after his Lady Byng-worthy season (his unpenalized, dangerous center ice hit on Jagr).

By the way, Voracek took a hit in game 2 similar to the one Schenn delivered in game 3 and there was no call and no retaliation.

Why does the retaliation force a penalty on the hit?

I think now after watching this series fans of other teams wonder why philly fans b!tch so much about the pens. they get away with murder. Fans call flyers dirty bu they are not just look at this series and all the cheap shots and intent to injure plays the pens have done. the nhl and Shanny have to come down hard on the pens.

Why does a clean hit "force" a retaliation at all?

Because Buttman's Boys have turned this League into SPECTACLE and the sport of it is just the vehicle - to sell more tires, more Chase bank accounts, more Volvos.

@canoli

This game was shining example of everything we've all been saying about the Pens. And gutless is the right word. Dirty b*tches. And I counted three phantom head snaps trying to draw a penalty, I say make 'em snap for real Wednesday.

We have last change, I send Rinaldo out to smear Crysby but good if the game gets out of hand

I feel the same way, especially when I watch Neal jump into Couturier and then run Giroux in the head.

Of course the ultimate embarrassment for the Pens will be when we sweep them Wednesday night so we should really make sure we take care of that first.

• Like 1

It's pathetically stupid isn't it? So Schenn's hit is clean until Asham crosschecks him in the mouth? Yeah, that makes sense. It's obvious there's no call coming until Asham did what he did.

We've all said it so many times: the officiating in the NHL is a joke. The only thing worse is the "supplemental discipline" department.

• Like 4

Something else to think about........... For all the never-ending crying about Scott Stevens' "headshots" and other nonsense... THINK AGAIN! At least Stevens was man enough to act within the rules. None of his hits were penalties. One can debate te ethical part of his actions, but that's sort of neither here or there. I don't recall Stevens ever doing anything remotely as classless and gutless as this Pittsburgh team is doing. It's unfortunate that his hits gave people concussions, but he never, to my recollection, resorted to scummy plays like we saw today. He played like a man and I will always respect him for that.

Kinda makes you look at things from a slightly different angle. Today's game has amplified - at least to me - the difference between TOUGH and DIRTY.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about Scott Stevens. Part of me always thinks of him as a dirty player who's occupation was headhunting not playing D for the Devils. The other part always wished he'd been in the O&B all those years.

Okay... here's the plan. During the post game handshake Wednesday night ( this will have to be prepped before hand) look at the Pitt lineup, coordinate the player to player set up and when every Flyer has a Penguin in front of him for the shake... punch him him right in the chops. How awesome would that be!

I KNOW! can't stand that they do that. They don't call a penalty on the original hit, then someone retaliates and all of a sudden both go? why?

they did, actually. the ref's arm goes up right after schenn lays the hit, before asham comes flying in.

don't know why, that was a perfectly clean hit to me, but in any case, the call came off the play itself.

Kinda telling also to see the classlessness of the Pens during the fights. Letang goes after Timo, kept hitting even though Timo can't see jack sh1t when his jersey is over his head. Adams fight Hartnell, kept his helmet on when Hartsy's off. Same thing for Crosby vs Giroux. And obviously Crosby sucker punches G when the ref intervenes. There were so many things yesterday that got my blood boiling and my hatred for the Pens to grow more than I didn't think was even remotely possible. Had the Flyers been guilty of even half as much bs I'd be embarrassed. One thing is certain, if Neal doesn't get a suspension (Asham is absolutely certain, Adams probable) he's got a target on his head come Wednesday. Also, if Neal is allowed to play, Crosby better watch out - because if Neal can cheapshot Giroux then there's open season on Crosby as well. It's an absolute disgrace if the league doesn't suspend him for a couple of games, at least, after that double on #14 and #28, neither of whom had the puck when being blindsided.

• Like 2

Yep. Definitely called Schenn before the Asham hit. Shouldn't have, but the call was made before Asham lost his mind.

oh is that right? I missed that. Damn. Okay so I can quit my outrage on that singular point I guess! lol

don't know why, that was a perfectly clean hit to me, but in any case, the call came off the play itself.

Schenn's skates did come off the ice a bit on the hit, and it's possible he took a stride or two leading up to it - couldn't see his legs from the original angle.

But to then not call and even more egregious hit on Coururier is even more baffling. At the very least it is interference.

Matt Cooke is also rounding into form after his Lady Byng-worthy season (his unpenalized, dangerous center ice hit on Jagr).

Who would have thought that all of this nastiness would have gone on with the Pens & I hardly even notice or mention Cooke?

Neal? Has got to be suspended.

Asham? Same thing.

Crosby just needs to be pounded.

Lavy should dress Shelley for game #4. Just send the message.

Kinda telling also to see the classlessness of the Pens during the fights. Letang goes after Timo, kept hitting even though Timo can't see jack sh1t when his jersey is over his head. Adams fight Hartnell, kept his helmet on when Hartsy's off. Same thing for Crosby vs Giroux. And obviously Crosby sucker punches G when the ref intervenes. There were so many things yesterday that got my blood boiling and my hatred for the Pens to grow more than I didn't think was even remotely possible. Had the Flyers been guilty of even half as much bs I'd be embarrassed. One thing is certain, if Neal doesn't get a suspension (Asham is absolutely certain, Adams probable) he's got a target on his head come Wednesday. Also, if Neal is allowed to play, Crosby better watch out - because if Neal can cheapshot Giroux then there's open season on Crosby as well. It's an absolute disgrace if the league doesn't suspend him for a couple of games, at least, after that double on #14 and #28, neither of whom had the puck when being blindsided.

Pretty much hits the nail right on the head.

• Like 1

Who would have thought that all of this nastiness would have gone on with the Pens & I hardly even notice or mention Cooke?

Neal? Has got to be suspended.

Asham? Same thing.

Crosby just needs to be pounded.

Lavy should dress Shelley for game #4. Just send the message.

I think Neal deserves a game, maybe two. Asham the rest of the series, minimum. If only to keep something stupid from happening.

Pound Crosby legally. If he's willing to scrap, fine. Don't run him. Don't run Malkin. and don't dress Shelley. All that does is open our guys up to injury when the Pens respond to sending a message, or suspension. We're most likely advancing. I don't want to lose anyone sending a message to a team that's about to be out of the playoffs.

I think Neal deserves a game, maybe two. Asham the rest of the series, minimum. If only to keep something stupid from happening.

Pound Crosby legally. If he's willing to scrap, fine. Don't run him. Don't run Malkin. and don't dress Shelley. All that does is open our guys up to injury when the Pens respond to sending a message, or suspension. We're most likely advancing. I don't want to lose anyone sending a message to a team that's about to be out of the playoffs.

I think you dress Shelley just to let the Pens know that any monkey business will be met with swift retaliation.

On who, though? None of the current Pens are the kind of guys that will scrap with Shelley. Edit: Assuming Asham and Adams get the suspensioins they earned. And Shelley's not a good enough skater to get big hits on any of them. He's not a dirty guy that's going to lay one of them out from behind after the whistle, either. The best way to show the Pens that they're going to get swift retaliation for any stupid stuff is to show them the series stat: 5/9 on the PP. Look at what happened when the Pens did dumb stuff last night and the Flyers didn't do dumb stuff back: The Pens imploded. Why change strategies?

Edited by AJgoal

On who, though? None of the current Pens are the kind of guys that will scrap with Shelley. Edit: Assuming Asham and Adams get the suspensioins they earned. And Shelley's not a good enough skater to get big hits on any of them. He's not a dirty guy that's going to lay one of them out from behind after the whistle, either. The best way to show the Pens that they're going to get swift retaliation for any stupid stuff is to show them the series stat: 5/9 on the PP. Look at what happened when the Pens did dumb stuff last night and the Flyers didn't do dumb stuff back: The Pens imploded. Why change strategies?

My point is that (hopefully) no scrap would ensue.

But if something does happen, Shelley should be sent o to the ice for Neal's next shift. If he doesn't want to drop the gloves that's just too darn bad. He is the one who needs the beat-down.

Of course, I want the real beat-down to be on the scoreboard.