Rich Hoffman's article today - worth reading

Guest canoli

In case you missed it I think it's worth checking out - focuses on the rookies, and though their story has been written a bunch of times, especially lately, Hoffman puts it together pretty well. Check it out here:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20120416_Rich_Hofmann__Flyers__rookies_take_licking__keep_on_kicking.html

• Like 1

Hoffman is an idiot. I take several exceptions to his article.

"In the third period, Neal took a jolting, open-ice run at an unsuspecting Couturier, with the puck barely in the picture, and was sent away for charging."

Neal didn't get sent off for charging. He got nothing. That's some fine reporting their, Lou.

"the stuff Crosby did in Game 3, like taking a few extra whacks at the glove of Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, or knocking away Jakub Voracek's glove, might be the stuff that makes you hate him - but it was the stuff you loved when the late Mike Richards was doing it for the Flyers from 2005 to 2011.)"

Richards was never half the child Crosby is today, never to my recollection knocked someone's glove away in a fit of pique, punched someone in the taint, only fight already engaged players... FU Hoffman.

But the one comment that really irked me wasn't Hoffman, but Briere: "They keep going after anybody that they go after and we keep standing up for ourselves. We keep being there for each other. Rookies are veterans. It's a good sign."

No one went after Asham, even though they only had a few seconds to do so, and no one went after Neal. If the league hands out suspensions, it's worth being docile. But you can't say that backing down is standing up for yourself.

@TedZep

The Flyers haven't backed down...they've played smart hockey. They've been aggressive all series long to the point of driving the Pens off their game. And when the Penguins have started losing it, the Flyers have basically laughed, taken the pp and scored. That's smart playoff hockey.

• Like 2

The Flyers have shown everyone how together and disciplined they are. They've been down bigtime two (welll more actually) times and kept their cool. And won. The Pens go down and resort to antics that the Flyers have been unfairly associated with for years. By that, I don't recall the Flyers going after anyone else's tiny veteran Finnish pacifist d-man in my 35 years as a fan. And the Pens did it twice. Complete bush league cowardly ********.

If the Flyers get up 2 goals in game 4, the Pens will wilt completely. I think that was all the fight they had left in them and they were horrible at it.

• Like 1

Ted, Simmonds went after Neal when he went to the box after the run at Giroux - that's what sparked the whole mess with Crosby and Hartnell and then the Hartnell-Adams fight. Neal went straight to the bench after the hit on Couturier, and I don't think anyone realized just what had happened at that point.

Smart hockey, yes, but sometimes you just want to see heads roll.

Neal was out on the ice on the ensuing face off (after the Couturier hit) and since he didn't get schooled, he took his run on Giroux soon after.

8-4 and 3-0 is best comeback.

@canoli

<<(Oh, and just remember: the stuff Crosby did in Game 3, like taking a few extra whacks at the glove of Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, or knocking away Jakub Voracek's glove, might be the stuff that makes you hate him>>

This is not what makes me hate him. In fact I really don't have a problem with that stuff. I have a problem with the fact that after this he wouldn't fight until the linesmen came in to break it up and then he throws an uppercut. I don't like that he pulls down Hartnell and then has Adams fight his battle for him. I don't like that he starts stuff with Schenn and then refuses to drop the gloves. I don't like that he throws his head back every time there is contact with him. I don't like that he continues to stir the pot verbally when he is safely tucked away in his locker room after the game while pretending he is taking the high road by avoiding stuff like that.

Don't dare compare Crosby to Mike Richards. Crosby is more talented yes, but he doesn't have a shred of Richard's toughness and grit. No one ever said that Crosby had to be a tough gritty player. He isn't, but he's trying to pretend to be one and he just doesn't have the stones to be. People need to recognize this.

• Like 3

Don't dare compare Crosby to Mike Richards. Crosby is more talented yes, but he doesn't have a shred of Richard's toughness and grit. No one ever said that Crosby had to be a tough gritty player. He isn't, but he's trying to pretend to be one and he just doesn't have the stones to be. People need to recognize this.

This is one aspect of the article I didn't agree with. Mike Richards won't win the Lady Byng but no one I know of has ever accused him of any of the stuff they are saying about Crosby. He's a respected player, not a cheap shot artist, not a whiner and is more than willing to settle his own scores.

Ted, Simmonds went after Neal when he went to the box after the run at Giroux - that's what sparked the whole mess with Crosby and Hartnell and then the Hartnell-Adams fight. Neal went straight to the bench after the hit on Couturier, and I don't think anyone realized just what had happened at that point.

this is correct. even watching the game live on TV i wasnt sure what happened until they showed a replay.

also, no one had a chance to run at asham because the ref was on him instantly, and he got tossed instantly.

Terp, I don't think David Booth would agree with you on Richards.

Um, beg to differ. Booth had a problem with the hit but of course he would because he was on the receiving end. No penalty on the play, hit was within the rules. However, when Booth was back in the line up and wanted to settle the score, Richards obliged him, took off his helmet and dropped the gloves. Crosby has never, ever and probably will never set down his helmet and settle matters with an opponent with his fists.

• Like 1

Neal should've just taken his medicine from Simmonds. But again like their captain Neal just pussed out. These Penguins don't mix it up with anyone except Giroux and Kimmo or guys that are smaller than them. Malkin only went after Talbot to mix it up. These Penguins aren't a tough bunch and its showing. I hope the Flyers see this and use it to fuel their way to victory on Wednesday.

Neal should've just taken his medicine from Simmonds. But again like their captain Neal just pussed out. These Penguins don't mix it up with anyone except Giroux and Kimmo or guys that are smaller than them. Malkin only went after Talbot to mix it up. These Penguins aren't a tough bunch and its showing. I hope the Flyers see this and use it to fuel their way to victory on Wednesday.

They just showed it on CSN Daily News Live.

Neal basically SPRINTS for the bench and you can see him trying to get off as soon as possible with his head on a swivel.

jeez, okay - lol - i meant the parts about the rookies were good. mama mià you guys get your panties in a bunch awfully quick around here sometimes! :)

I know, I agree with you too, Ted, Grump, etc., I didn't appreciate the Richards comparison either. Hoffman isn't exactly a hockey guy so he just doesn't know. But the parts he got right were well done imo.

that is all. carry on !

They just showed it on CSN Daily News Live.

Neal basically SPRINTS for the bench and you can see him trying to get off as soon as possible with his head on a swivel.

Ah, you noticed that too. Too bad he didn't catch a fist to the face before getting there.

If there is one thing i respect about Mike Richards. He is a tough and gritty sob. Sure he has some other issues thus the reason he is not here. But for Hoffman to use him in an analogy with Crosby regarding his gutless antics is a joke!

Hoffman is an idiot. I take several exceptions to his article.

"In the third period, Neal took a jolting, open-ice run at an unsuspecting Couturier, with the puck barely in the picture, and was sent away for charging."

Neal didn't get sent off for charging. He got nothing. That's some fine reporting their, Lou.

"the stuff Crosby did in Game 3, like taking a few extra whacks at the glove of Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, or knocking away Jakub Voracek's glove, might be the stuff that makes you hate him - but it was the stuff you loved when the late Mike Richards was doing it for the Flyers from 2005 to 2011.)"

Richards was never half the child Crosby is today, never to my recollection knocked someone's glove away in a fit of pique, punched someone in the taint, only fight already engaged players... FU Hoffman.

But the one comment that really irked me wasn't Hoffman, but Briere: "They keep going after anybody that they go after and we keep standing up for ourselves. We keep being there for each other. Rookies are veterans. It's a good sign."

No one went after Asham, even though they only had a few seconds to do so, and no one went after Neal. If the league hands out suspensions, it's worth being docile. But you can't say that backing down is standing up for yourself.

You got that right about not getting the facts right. This town really needs a hockey writer that knows the game. It will be over tonight. Suspensions are irrelevent now...