Is the torch being passed?

Guest yave1964

The Wings stumbled, fumbled and bumbled down the stretch, slipping from a one seed to a five, playing an amazingly talented Nashville team built for a run this year. This could be an early tee time for the Wings, here are the reasons as I see them.

1. Holland had all the money and prospects in the world to make amove at the deadline and didnt add a forward. Gaustad has owned us in this series, so has Kostitsyn. We did nothing to counter those pickups. If we dont get either Suter or Parise in the offseason Holland has seriously dropped the ball.

2. Darren Helms injury, while I feel that Babcock overvalues him a bit has hurt, nobody else can check and add the element of speed that he has.

3. Jimmy Howard has not been the same goaltender since his injuries, broken finger, pulled hammy, not saying he isnt playing well but he was a vezina candidate before the injuries and I am not convinced he isnt playing through more than he is letting on.

4. Lidstrom is looking old. So is Cleary. White has been average the second half. Quincey has been wretched.

5. Pekka Rinne simply put is the best goaltender in hockey today- period, and this looks like his coming out party. With depth on defense and four lines with skill players running at you this Predator team before Radulov returned was set for a deep run, now they are likely the best in the west.

What it would take for the Wings to come back....

1. Howard playing like the first half.

2. Checking. In game two the wings blocked 17 shots, we have to do that in every game to have a chance.

3. Puck control. The Predators have controlled the puck while the wings look like they are sitting back watching and waiting for a chance. We have to be more agressive in taking the puck away from the Preds and playing our puck control game, not letting them play theirs.

Go Wings!!

Our problem is inconsistent play, and it's a result of guys having to play roles that they either don't do naturally or because of age or declining skill set can no longer do and still do their primary role. We don't play consistently for 60 minutes. If we ever do, it is rare.

We are playing catch-up hockey. Catch-up hockey is losing hockey.

We have lost to the Sharks 2 years in a row for the same reason that we are losing to the Preds right now. They have figured out that if they play a physical game and control the puck, that the Wings will lose more of those games than they will win. That and, of course, fantastic goaltending.

The Wings have not had the physical ability to play with these physical teams. We might have enough for one series, but by the time we're into the second round, we're spent enough where the next team pushes us around, and we don't have the size or physical presence to combat that, either because we are injured enough where we can't, or we are exhausted to a point where we don't have enough energy to exert the necessary effort to play bigger than we actually are. The result is that they end up controlling the puck, we play catch-up more than we don't, and in doing so make the costly error that leads to the back-breaking goal being scored against us.

This is a pattern. We are seeing it repeat again. The only difference is who is now doing it and that it is being done in the first round, not the second, third or SCF's.

Even if we go deeper than I think we will, they need to address this, because other teams have figured it out and made the necessary adjustments.

@yave1964 @SpikeDDS

Lidstrom may look old but he still finished the regular season at a +21 which tied Weber for best among defensemen. Cleary isn't looking "old" per se, but the man has a nagging baker's cyst behind his knee which is giving him pains. He expects to undergo surgery in the offseason. And there is no way to "overvalue" Darren Helm. His absence is huge.

The Wings do need to bring more physical play, but they need to recognize the fine line between physical play and roughing, something Holmstrom and Bertuzzi haven't been able to do for the last couple years.

However, Gentleman, I submit to you that the biggest problem the Red Wings are having is shooting the puck. Yes they put up to 40 shots a night on Pekka RInne, but they need to do more. Particularly on the power play. The Red Wings have been waiting too long for a perfect hole to open up, and it's just not happening. Have you seen a "dirty goal" by the Red Wings yet this series? There hasn't been. Each goal has been beautifully orchestrated with the scorer in perfect position. This is why the Wings have only scored 2 (or 3) goals in a game. The filthy goals, the strange bounces, the ugly rebounds...THAT, my friends, is how you win a Playoff series.

However, Gentleman, I submit to you that the biggest problem the Red Wings are having is shooting the puck. Yes they put up to 40 shots a night on Pekka RInne, but they need to do more. Particularly on the power play. The Red Wings have been waiting too long for a perfect hole to open up, and it's just not happening. Have you seen a "dirty goal" by the Red Wings yet this series? There hasn't been. Each goal has been beautifully orchestrated with the scorer in perfect position. This is why the Wings have only scored 2 (or 3) goals in a game. The filthy goals, the strange bounces, the ugly rebounds...THAT, my friends, is how you win a Playoff series.

I think you're partly right, but I think getting inside is MORE important. The dirty goals are what wins in the SCP's. The third rebound being smashed through. The shot that ricochets off of a skate ora leg like Franzen's in game 2. Having guys who are dedicated to paying the price to get inside AND STAY THERE and not let themselves be boxed out. Rinne is seeing most of our first shots. He's stopping those. It's the deflections and the rebounds that are going to win it. Without them, we lose this series.

If we try to rely on skill shots, we will lose, on that we agree 100%.