Penguins Broadcasters Thought Jaromir Jagr was Cheating in Game 2

Guest Irishjim

As you know, Yinzers live in a bubble. It’s a bridge and river and steel and tar-filled bubble... but still a bubble. And when it comes to their hockey team, people from Pittsburgh - thanks to the NHL and NBC stroking Sidney Crosby and his teammates for seven years - believe that the Penguins are superior to all others. They can do no wrong. There must always be an explanation - an excuse, really - for their failures.

Their broadcast crew is firmly entrenched in the bubble.

Two years ago, one

Penguins TV producer purposely didn’t send a replay feed to the leaguebecause it showed that then-Flyer Simon Gagne had, in fact, scored a goal against the hometown team. The play had been under review, and, since the league didn’t have evidence to overturn the official ruling (no-goal), Gagne and the Flyers were never credited with the score... though they went on to win, 7-4. That’s an old story, but worth bringing up today as we present to you this bit of tid from the Penguins Game 2 broadcast on Friday night:

Lost in the shuffle of the Flyers destroying their unfortunate foes this weekend was an (albeit minor) controversy that arose when ex-Penguin Jaromir Jagr scored the Flyers’ game-winning goal on Friday night. The controversy existed solely in the minds of ROOTSports broadcasters Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey, who thought that Jagr had an illegal stick. Behold:

That’s quite a bit of prattling based on purely circumstantial evidence. What’s more, though, is that the ROOT Sports folks - who opined that Jagr may have switched back to a legal stick after scoring the goal - failed to notice that Jags had actually broken his stick on the play, forcing him to - get this - pick up a new one:

See, broken (it's not completely obvious, but the stick broke in two on the shot).

Though this part wasn’t the focus of their argument, Jagr got a new stick was out of necessity, not because he was trying to hide anything.

Excuses, excuses.

Of course, when the Flyers stamp their 4-0 series sweep tomorrow night, it will be difficult for even the most hardened, steel mill dust-covered Yinzer to find an excuse that spreads its wings over four full games.

H/T to reader Rob for the heads up... and for putting up with that awful broadcast

There must always be an explanation - an excuse, really - for their failures.

This is typical Bob Errey homer-drivel. The fact that it is one of his contractual obligations notwithstanding, it comes to him naturally.

Holy fack!.. i just looked up what a "yinzer" was... I would seriously have to slap the **** out of anyone that spoke like that around me!

My girlfriend is from Labrador, and her vernacular is bad enough! I couldn't handle that stuff.

This is typical Bob Errey homer-drivel. The fact that it is one of his contractual obligations notwithstanding, it comes to him naturally.

TERP --- completely off-topic here,

But I LOVE that you dug up that avatar of The BGWM..... Big Green Weenie Monster.

I dont know if you were around then.... but, one of my favorite memories of the old Philly.com Admin -- when we got SySop2 to paste that into everyone's browser as a pop-up on the forum late one afternoon......someone freaked out and thought they had a virus..... that shht was hilarious.

TERP --- completely off-topic here,

But I LOVE that you dug up that avatar of The BGWM..... Big Green Weenie Monster.

I dont know if you were around then.... but, one of my favorite memories of the old Philly.com Admin -- when we got SySop2 to paste that into everyone's browser as a pop-up on the forum late one afternoon......someone freaked out and thought they had a virus..... that shht was hilarious.

I somehow missed that one but I'm glad to hear that my avatar has some "old forum" historical significance to go along with its absurdity and offensiveness. I was also unaware that this creature had a name..I just felt he deserved the opportunity to run around on this site bothering people. Thanks. This critter has found a home.

I'm no fan of Steigerwald as a broadcaster, and I think he's way off base with a lot of what he says. The Jagr stick thing comes from Jagr's days in Pittsburgh when he played pretty much every game with an illegal stick, and got caught doing it fairly often. Errey played with him for some of those days, and made several comments about it. Not a big thing though, it was always a topic of discussion with him here, with the Caps, the Rangers, and now with you guys. I'd rather have Mike Lange back myself. I dunno why the Pens insist on that idiot Steigerwald anyway.