Jagr on Crosby

Guest killjoysfly

http://isport.blesk....ly-himself.html

BLOG - Of course I’m happy we are up three to nil in the series with Pittsburgh. But I’ve seen a lot in playoffs and I know the end comes only when it’s really over… Which means there is one more game to win for us. Am I surprised there have been so many goals? I don’t make any guesses in advance and I don’t give any thought to whether I was right or wrong afterwards. I take it as it comes.

And, all in all, I take it without any emotions. I try not to be provoked by anything. It is not good to be too much up or too much down, to be too elated or too depressed. At least, this is how it works with me. I concentrate only on things I can control, and I want my psyche to be balanced all the time. No matter which way the wind blows, one must stay cool. There’s no other way. Otherwise I’d laugh twenty times and weep ten times in every game …

There is a lot of talk now about
Sidney Crosby
and what he’s been doing on the ice. Some give it a lot of thought, others less. And I am a guy who does not care at all, I take no notice. He does harm only to himself. But every man is different, perhaps this helps him get into the game and play better.

But I don’t want to add any more comments; I really take no notice of it. In fact, when on the ice, I hardly know something like this is going on. I really want to focus on my game, to be as useful as possible to my team.

And that he swept Voras’ (Jakub Voráček’s) glove away with his stick? Well, it’s no big deal; one can pick it up a few yards further on… Sure, I understand there are people who take it differently, which is right. This is what the team is about. Every player is different, every team needs someone with a cool head to calm things down, but also players with an emotional attitude.

If everyone were like me, the team would get roughed up and beaten by others all the time; on the other hand, if all of us were short-fused, we would spend most of our game time inside the penalty box rather than on the ice. So this is what the team is about.

Personally, I don’t care about the “Crosby issue”. I even don’t know what newspapers have written about it. I believe we shouldn’t care; we should stick to our game and try to maintain the same excellent team spirit we have enjoyed throughout the regular season. There is no point in changing anything.

We will play the next game on Wednesday, but I don’t want to predict the outcome. We of course want to win, but what matters most in my opinion is that every player finishes it with a feeling he’s given to it everything he could. I believe we can win if we keep our game close to our top performance standard. Everything is in our hands now.

As to me, I don’t follow how many points I have collected or whether I succeeded in delivering a nice pass. I simply try to play my best game, that’s all. Moreover, I didn’t spend so much time on the ice because of the penalties. In fact, I hardly realize we play a playoff round at all.

But I’m not complaining. On the contrary, I believe this can in fact help me if our team qualifies for the next round. As a matter of fact, I was always beaten and spent after the first four playoff games, but it is different now. As I said, it hardly comes to my mind the playoffs have already begun.

What I do mind, though, is that I have to spend some time on the bike after the game, it tires me more than the match itself… I was used to spending 22 minutes on the ice in every game, and with the less ice time now I try to make up for it with one-minute sprints at the highest ratio and revs. I push for one minute, and then I take a one-minute rest.

It depends on how much time I have spent on the ice. If I have had, say, just 12 minutes of ice time, I do the sprints for an additional ten minutes. To make up for less ice time.

I know a time may come when I will be required to spend 22 minutes on the ice. And if I didn’t add to my game load, I know I wouldn’t be able to. I simply couldn’t hack it. This is why I have introduced the bike sessions. But you have to put so much effort into it! Worse than a game …. On top of everything else, I see others leaving, while I am still pedaling. But I do it for myself and I know that I need to.

I like it...seems like a pretty level-headed dude

Edited by killjoysfly
  • Like 1

I guess playing in the KHL was a reality check for him....

I agree..I can't believe this is the same I disliked all these years and thought.....How is he going to help the Flyers.....Boy was I wrong...

• Like 1

After I heard we signed him I said "I don't want to win the Cup if it takes Jagr helping us" - and I meant it at the time. LOL... I just never dreamed he was this mature and philosophical about everything now. Now he sounds like a likable guy - who knew?!

Not being there in the locker room or inside Jagr's head, but if they put an honorary 'C' on his chest for the rest of the playoffs, I wouldn't mind. That being said, some people thrive in a leadership role without actually being named the leader. Richards comes to mind as someone that could have flourished as an Alternate for another year or two.

Those are very wise, self aware statements. Focus on the only thing you can control... Your present... Admit powerlessness over others ... Accept that the concept of team thrives with unity of purpose, with space for different behaviors and roles. Truly remarkable.

You couldn't have asked for a better piece of the puzzle...this guy has got to be one of the reasons the Rookies and younger guys (Including G & Vorachek) have been so focused, mature whatever you want to call it. I am not going to predict anything, but this team has a great blend. I look forward to seeing this team grow and develop as the years go on...a cup this year would be awesome, but this could be just the tip of the iceberg. I had heard Jags was leading by example, so hearing this cements that he was the best off season signing, although Talbot isn't too bad either. (holy cow, just notice that the two guys I am praising are both ex-pens...we got the good ones).

Crosby's actions only harm himself....

When I was watching the game I noticed that jagr was on the bench unaffected by the chaos and crowd noises,.... When I read his blog it makes sense

Yeah Jagr's havin' fun and I think not getting all caught up in the nonsense is helping him have fun. As opposed to someone like Hartnell who loves mixing it up to add to his in game enjoyment. Both philosophies are great.

I think Jagr's effectiveness will increase when we move on to tighter (and therefore slower) series. He looks to be the slowest guy out there, but it has been stoopid fast. Still very effective on the powerplay. Lavi is doing a great job of utilizing his players to their and the team's greatest benefit.

Having said that, I would love to see more of Giroux, Hartnell and Voracek in the upcoming years.

I was proudly and loudly supporting this signing when it came ---- and was suprised at hearing all the negativity from Flyers fans about Jagr --

because I knew we were getting a true, veteran professional ---in fact, a Hall of Famer -- that would be a perfect to fit in w/ our young stars....

Jagr is just so smooth and calm at all times (almost reminds me of a Hippie/Guru type), I actually think he was a perfect fit for Giroux, more than anyone, because I see a lot of similar qualities in Giroux --reminding me of a young Jagr w/ that point-guard type vision, skilled hands and rifle shot.

Even at his age, Jagr is still skilled enough and big enough that he can sometimes just skate around w/ the puck in the offensive zone

for as long as he wants -- fending off the defender w/ his body -- just waiting for the perfect moment for someone to break into his passing lanes.....he's got a lot less shooter and a lot more facilatator in his game nowadays..... and he's been thru enough playoff series in his career to have a calming effect on these young guys even when things are getting out of control.

• Like 1