Embarassing

Guest B21

One word sums up Sunday’s game. Embarrassing…and that’s even before I get to the actual play on the ice.

Where to start…

James Neal. The shot to Couturier should have been a penalty. The shot to Giroux should have been a penalty along with the suspension. I was guessing 1-2 based on what Shannahan has doled out so far. Nothing for Webber and only 1 for Carkner and I see both of those incidents as “worse” than Neal’s. Until Torres last night, Carkner’s incident was that worst of the playoffs so far i/m/h/o.

Aaron Asham. Awful. A totally cheap hit on Schenn. I don’t mind retaliating for the hit on Martin but the punishment certainly didn’t fit the crime. My guess was 5-7 with carry over into next year. I had thought he had a prior suspension but since he doesn’t, 4 seems fair. Longest in the post-season…so far.

Craig Adams. Here I give a pass. I don’t think he intentionally pulled Hartnell’s hair. Hartnell had him in a head lock and it looked like he was trying to get the back of the shoulder pads (think “horse collar” in the NFL). Hard not to get a lock of hair at that point. Another reason to get on the Pens but I can’t kick up much fuss here.

(Side note – the fact that his 1 game instigator suspension and Bylsma’s $10,000 fine were upheld kinda proves a point I’ve been making all along. The league is biased towards its stars; not teams. Malkin does the same thing last year…no punishment. But a role player like Adams? Suspension/fine upheld.)

Sidney Crosby. The whacks at Bryz’s glove are low on the “cheap/dirty” scale. Happens all the time. But he should expect retaliation there…that happens (as it should) anytime a player takes a few extra whacks at the other team’s netminder. Fight with Giroux? Meh. The pushing of the glove…bush league. He has to be better than that especially in a game like this. I will say I loved his “I don’t like them comments…” after the game. THAT is what the league needs…not that this rivalry needs it. It’s no secret there is not love lost…no reason not to say it instead of the clichés hockey players are know to rattle off. I don’t like you. You don’t like me. See you next year. (I think he still likes Talbot.)

Mario. Multiple reports say he was livid…good. He should be. I hope he lays into them. I’ll argue the hypocrite accusations until I am blue in the face. I see most coaches defending some pretty ugly incidents in this post season and I see Mario as the only one taking issue with what his own team did. Sure, he has to. The Pens have been the worst of the bunch as a whole. But when I hear a Joel Quenneville complaining about the Hossa hit (Torres should be suspended for at least two games) after Shaw’s cheap shot on Smith and Keith’s cheap shot on Sedin a week before the playoffs start, I call “bigger hypocrite”. Where was Tortsie’s venom after Hagelin’s shot to Alfredsson? It’s no coincidence that it’s the players who are difference makers on the receiving end of these hits. I might hate Tortsie more than any other person in the game right now.

Matt Cooke. Oh wait…nevermind. ;)

Now to the actual play on the ice…

Malkin. Great job by Couturier shutting him down. Not much more to be said there.

Fleury. Awful. Way too many saves that should have been. That’s 6 straight playoff losses though I can’t get on him too much for the series last year with the Lightning. The D has been nothing short of terrible…especially Orpik, Letang and Martin.

Have to give credit where it is due…Flyers are totaling outplaying the Pens.

Now if you’ll excuse me, time to work on my short game.

• Like 2

You're one of the good ones @B21. Total class act.

Flyer fans - and other teams fans - can learn a thing or two from you.

Not me - I have almost no class - but I don't mind speaking for others.

:wub:

I'll share some of my scotch with ya. I actually gained respect for Pens fans while losing more than I would ever thought for the actual team. I'm so used to the Pens fans blindly defending their team regardless of their actions but every Pens fan I know (I know more than I'd like!) are disgraced at their teams action. Sure they are embarrassed by the poor play, team defense, and goaltending but I think the dirty play has really hit them.

As for Cooke, he is like the prisoner that gets released for actually being rehabbed and coming back out into society. I couldn't stand him for obvious reasons but he has shown complete discipline during this entire series. Whether or not that discipline is forced due to fear of long-term suspension or not is a whole other story but bravo to Cooke for cleaning up his act.

Here's to a clean honest game 4, cheers.

@B21

You know, I actually have some comments, but after reading that post it would just be piling on....thanks for being a good sport

Also if you keep trying class this place up, I'll have no choice but to report you :D

Reported. ;)

Please - by all means - pile on.

B21, Nice summary. Seems to be the view of ~75% of the Pens fans that I've seen comments from. There are of course those who accused Couturier and Schenn of diving (not sure I've ever seen someone dive to get a penalty and go to the locker room).

I have no problems with Crosby's comments, though the way he said them could come across as childish. But at the same time, given what we've seen through the first three, being particularly eloquent isn't going to be high on your list.

The Pens have a lot of talent. The Flyers are a bad matchup for them because while they don't have the same top-end talent, they have more skill farther down the depth chart. This causes some matchup issues at game time. This would have been a marquee ECF. Too bad it's in the first round.

One word sums up Sunday’s game. Embarrassing…and that’s even before I get to the actual play on the ice.

Where to start…

As a fellow Pens fan who just read your entire post, I must say.. right on the head man. Well said. I would only add criticism for Bylsma for not doing more to adjust. He didn't adjust the penalty kill, he didn't adjust to get Malkin away from Lav's matchups. And I think he failed to punish some people who needed to sit out and think about how they were playing. That's all I would add!