Worst Playoff Incident

Guest B21

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst incident in Round 1 thus far (4-20-2012)

• Weber (Preds) on Zetterberg (Wings). $2,500 fine...
    • Torres (Yotes) on Hossa (Hawks). Indefinitely...
    • Neal (Pens) on Courturier (Flyers) and/or (Giroux) Flyers. 1 game...
    • Asham (Pens) on Schenn (Flyers). 4 games...
    • Shaw (Hawks) on Smith (Yotes). 3 games...
    • Backstrom (Caps) on Peverly (Bruins). 1 game...
    • Hagelin (Rangers) on Alfredsson (Sens). 3 games..
    • Matt Carkner (Sens) on Boyle (Rangers). 1 game...
    • Byron Bitz (Nucks) on Clifford (Kings). 2 games...
    • Galiardi (Sharks) on McDonald (Blues). No fine/hearing...
    • Sobotka (Blues) sucker punches Moore (Sharks). No fine/hearing...
    • That there are 11 incidents on this poll in only 8 series of the FIRST round......

No idea where to put this one (maybe it should be in the Pens' forum!) but here goes...

Putting aside discipline (or lack of) which is worse?

Weber (Preds) on Zetterberg (Wings). $2,500 fine...

Torres (Yotes) on Hossa (Hawks). Indefinitely...

Neal (Pens) on Courturier (Flyers) and/or (Giroux) Flyers. 1 game...

Asham (Pens) on Schenn (Flyers). 4 games...

Shaw (Hawks) on Smith (Yotes). 3 games...

Backstrom (Caps) on Peverly (Bruins). 1 game...

Hagelin (Rangers) on Alfredsson (Sens). 3 games..

Matt Carkner (Sens) on Boyle (Rangers). 1 game...

Byron Bitz (Nucks) on Clifford (Kings). 2 games...

Galiardi (Sharks) on McDonald (Blues). No fine/hearing...

Sobotka (Blues) sucker punches Moore (Sharks). No fine/hearing...

I gotta go Carkner and I don't think it's close.

Torres 2nd with Asham a close 3rd....

No idea where to put this one (maybe it should be in the Pens' forum!) but here goes...

I don't see anything wrong what Carkner did...Boyle antagonized Karlson the entire Game 1 like he was a tough guy..Carkner challenged Boyle and Boyle pussied out like usually..Boyle should have just manned up and fought Carkner..and stop running around like he's a tough guy..

Torres should be thrown out of the NHL, I don't know why he's even still here..

But Ashams incident was the worst imo.. I used to be an Asham fan but he's become totally classless..Schenn threw a clean hit on Martin no reason for Asham to crosscheck a player in the throat and then punch him in the back of the head..totally spineless by Asham

I don't see anything wrong what Carkner did...Boyle antagonized Karlson the entire Game 1 like he was a tough guy..Carkner challenged Boyle and Boyle pussied out like usually..Boyle should have just manned up and fought Carkner..and stop running around like he's a tough guy..

Torres should be thrown out of the NHL, I don't know why he's even still here..

But Ashams incident was the worst imo.. I used to be an Asham fan but he's become totally classless..Schenn threw a clean hit on Martin no reason for Asham to crosscheck a player in the throat and then punch him in the back of the head..totally spineless by Asham

That does not excuse Carkner. How many punches did he land while the guy was down? He kept wailing away after his point was made. Boyle almost had to turtle at that point. Carker's got him pinned down with one arm and waiting away with the other. Worse than all i/m/o.

Two punches knocked him down...point made. I counted 7 more after that.

That does not excuse Carkner. How many punches did he land while the guy was down? He kept wailing away after his point was made. Boyle almost had to turtle at that point. Carker's got him pinned down with one arm and waiting away with the other. Worse than all i/m/o.

Two punches knocked him down...point made. I counted 7 more after that.

so crosschecking an unsuspecting player in the throat and punching him in the back of the head is not as bad as punching a 6'5 guy who was warned to drop the gloves before he was punched?

so crosschecking an unsuspecting player in the throat and punching him in the back of the head is not as bad as punching a 6'5 guy who was warned to drop the gloves before he was punched?

No. Punching a 6'5 guy 7 times while he is down on the ice (due to your first two punches) is worse than crosschecking an unsuspecting player in the breastbone and punching him in the back of the head once.

Caveat...not defending Asham and not saying he does not deserve 4 games...but if that cross check did get Schenn in the throat, he would not have returned in the 2nd period. Not a chance.

Finally, we agree. I thought what Carkner did was egregious and have no idea how Shanahan could justify only one game. It was premeditated and completely out of line.

Finally, we agree. I thought what Carkner did was egregious and have no idea how Shanahan could justify only one game. It was premeditated and completely out of line.

Par for the course for Shannahan these days I guess.

Maybe you should add the entire flyer goalie corp

No. Punching a 6'5 guy 7 times while he is down on the ice (due to your first two punches) is worse than crosschecking an unsuspecting player in the breastbone and punching him in the back of the head once.

Caveat...not defending Asham and not saying he does not deserve 4 games...but if that cross check did get Schenn in the throat, he would not have returned in the 2nd period. Not a chance.

What Carkner did to Boyle is no different than what Boyle did to Karlsson, so why wasn't Boyle suspended for punching an unwilling "combatant"?

Just wondering.

(B21) did not know how to create a poll, so I did it for him. Maybe @Digityman or other mod can move him as the originator of this (so he can edit) and move the subsequent threads over here.

It's a good poll. I added option 12 (sorry B21, but I could not resist).

@B21,@Digityman

Hi B21

There is a poll option if you look to the right of the dialogue box when creating a thread. I have taken the liberty to create a new post for you using the poll options and asked digity (or other mod to change you to the originator (so that you can modify if you want) and also merge / move the responses you have thus far to overthere.

Hope this helps.

VF

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/28742-b21-worst-2012-sc-playoff-incidents-round-1/

What Carkner did to Boyle is no different than what Boyle did to Karlsson, so why wasn't Boyle suspended for punching an unwilling "combatant"?

Just wondering.

You mean this?

Jonesey called those "noogies". Now watch what Carkner did to Boyle again and see if you can't see the difference.

(B21) did not know how to create a poll, so I did it for him. Maybe @Digityman or other mod can move him as the originator of this (so he can edit) and move the subsequent threads over here.

It's a good poll. I added option 12 (sorry B21, but I could not resist).

Sorry for what? Appreciate the technical assistance.

@B21

fyi, supporting members can make polls, consider joining us... ;). I'll add the specific posts Van has in mind once I know what they are.

Great poll btw.

How does one become a supporting member? I already pledged a fraternity once... ;)

@B21

For adding a 12th option on your poll. I agree with HF- its a really good poll and great idea. I am working with HF to move your other thread to over here (you have 10 posts there).

Cheers and good luck today / tonight (its 1:45 pm sunday where I am). Going to hit the pool, then have a nice dinner, play some billiards, have a few libations and then watch the game. It is rare that there is a game time at 12pm, which is 12am here.

To boot, it is St Georges day (many British / Aussie expats where I live), so today is a HUMUNGOUS party day. Hopefully I can sustain. :-)

I agree Asham should get suspended for the punch to the head of Schenn while he was down, but in all honesty (and I've been through this on the Flyers' forum as well) Asham's stick never hits Schenn in the throat. Asham got what he deserved for hitting the guy while he was down, which I believe was in response (not justified!) to Schenn's falling like he's been shot by a rifle. Schenn left his feet hitting Martin (dirty play), Asham crosschecks him dangerously high (penalty), then punches him while he's down (dirty play). I feel both Asham AND Schenn deserved suspensions for this incident. Why Schenn? Because the league is saying the severity of the injury caused by an illegal hit is weighed into the decision as well. So in my book it would've been Schenn for one game and I have no problem with Asham for four due to the punch while Schenn is down.

@Polaris922

Do you understand the difference between a dirty play and a clean-but-illegal play? What Schenn did could be considered charging, and he did receive 2 minutes for it, but he did not stride into Martin, did not leap, kept his elbows down, and did not target the head. His feet left the ice at the point of contact, but it wasn't remotely close to what Neal or Torres did. There's a reason the league didn't take a 2nd look at that one. For you to make an equivalence in saying "(dirty play)" to both incidents betrays a complete lack of perspective.

Asham got what he deserved for hitting the guy while he was down, which I believe was in response (not justified!) to Schenn's falling like he's been shot by a rifle.

You meant to say he collapsed just like LETANG does when someone looks at him wrong.............I actually kind of agree with you on the Asham high stick..Schenn whipped his head up and back to minimize the impact of Ashams stick. Asham knew exactly how hard he hit Schenn and cuffed more than punched a "letanging" Schenn while he was on the ice. Bottom line is it was meant to be a nasty hit, and because Schenn was aware of his surroundings he avoided the brunt of it. To me, the dangerous puss moves of Neal warranted more of a suspension than what Asham got.

• Like 1

You mean this?

Jonesey called those "noogies". Now watch what Carkner did to Boyle again and see if you can't see the difference.

So would you want Crosby getting those "noogies" from 6'6'' monster Boyle? I don't think you would. The Sens felt the need to protect their star who was getting targetted by a low talent goon. The Flyers should be doing the same thing after what the Pens have been doing.

I agree Asham should get suspended for the punch to the head of Schenn while he was down, but in all honesty (and I've been through this on the Flyers' forum as well) Asham's stick never hits Schenn in the throat. Asham got what he deserved for hitting the guy while he was down, which I believe was in response (not justified!) to Schenn's falling like he's been shot by a rifle. Schenn left his feet hitting Martin (dirty play), Asham crosschecks him dangerously high (penalty), then punches him while he's down (dirty play). I feel both Asham AND Schenn deserved suspensions for this incident. Why Schenn? Because the league is saying the severity of the injury caused by an illegal hit is weighed into the decision as well. So in my book it would've been Schenn for one game and I have no problem with Asham for four due to the punch while Schenn is down.

So are you trying to tell me Schenn's hit on Martin was worse than Neal on Couturier? At least Martin had the puck when Schenn hit him. Unbelievable.

So would you want Crosby getting those "noogies" from 6'6'' monster Boyle? I don't think you would. The Sens felt the need to protect their star who was getting targetted by a low talent goon. The Flyers should be doing the same thing after what the Pens have been doing.

I'd prefer those to what Carkner did to Boyle. Carkner "protected" his guy when he dropped Boyle with the first two punches. The SEVEN additional while Boyle was down on the ice cannot be defended...at all.