Flyers more embarrassed by G4 than Pens of G3

Guest TedZep

Holy freaking cow, boys! It's ONE GAME!

Look back at how the Red Wings have been beaten in the past few years. They get down in a series, then have ONE BIG GAME where they win BIG over their opponents. But it's like a firework! It's blows big, and then blows OUT!

They lost their way tonight. Not sure why, but they did. They regroup, and get back to playing their game. Saying Pens in 7 is WAY premature.

Typical Flyers fans! ;-)

• Like 2

Holy freaking cow, boys! It's ONE GAME!

Look back at how the Red Wings have been beaten in the past few years. They get down in a series, then have ONE BIG GAME where they win BIG over their opponents. But it's like a firework! It's blows big, and then blows OUT!

They lost their way tonight. Not sure why, but they did. They regroup, and get back to playing their game. Saying Pens in 7 is WAY premature.

Typical Flyers fans! ;-)

I'm glad the Pens are running up the score, I want to see how Bryzgalov and the rest of the Flyers respond the next game. Whether you lose by one or a dozen it's still only one loss. There is enough players in the Flyers dressing room that were part of the 2010 team that came back against the Bruins so they know what they have to do so it doesn't happen to them.

I'm glad the Pens are running up the score, I want to see how Bryzgalov and the rest of the Flyers respond the next game.

exactly. it was predictable the pens would come out with a mission, it was predictable the flyers would be flat. throw in brutal goaltending and refs who wouldn't stop screwing with the game, and you have a mess.

to me, the blow out is better than a close loss. this puts the pens back in that cocky place that got them into the 0-3 mess in the first place, and reminds the flyers that they are a for real team.

3 more chances to win 1 game. learn the lesson, boys, and bryz, get your sh|t together.

• Like 1

We'll see if the Flyers can rally like the Penguins did after Game 3. And all credit to them. They deserved to win, we got exactly what we deserved. The Flyers' collective head was not in the game.

The problem with this being only one game is that it can quickly turn into 2 - especially now that the Penguins are taking this huge momentum boost back home. And then at 3 games to 2, who knows.

Our goaltending worries me. Not so much when our offense is firing on all cylinders, but you can't count on that every game - our goalie is going to have to steal one of these. Maybe his one steal was game 1. He needs to keep us in the game. That's not happening. But for our offense, and some poor goaltending by Fluery, we'd be done. Letting in 3.96 goals per game, now take that average up with the 5 he let in tonight, is going to kill us. If Fleury finds his game, it's going to get really, really tight.

We'll see if the Flyers can rally like the Penguins did after Game 3. And all credit to them. They deserved to win, we got exactly what we deserved. The Flyers' collective head was not in the game.

The problem with this being only one game is that it can quickly turn into 2 - especially now that the Penguins are taking this huge momentum boost back home. And then at 3 games to 2, who knows.

Our goaltending worries me. Not so much when our offense is firing on all cylinders, but you can't count on that every game - our goalie is going to have to steal one of these. Maybe his one steal was game 1. He needs to keep us in the game. That's not happening. But for our offense, and some poor goaltending by Fluery, we'd be done. Letting in 3.96 goals per game, now take that average up with the 5 he let in tonight, is going to kill us. If Fleury finds his game, it's going to get really, really tight.

The thing is there is no one who expected the Flyers to be up 3 games to 1 against the Pens, so as far as I'm concerned the pressure is still on the Pens not the Flyers. The Pens are the favourites in this series not to mention they're favoured to go to the cup final so anything short of that is a disaster for the Pens. As for the Flyers there are enough veterans in that dressing room to let the young guys know to forget about this game and get ready for the next one. The Pens will get on their players case if the Flyers get up by a couple of goals in game 5. I'm hoping this series will make Snider realize how big of a mistake it was signing Bryzgalov because even if we get past the Pens there is no way we'll get past however we face in the next round with goaltending like that. As Flyercanuck mentioned in another thread, this series has had the worst goaltending by both teams in recent memory. And like Aziz pointed out, they still have 3 chances to get 1 win.

• Like 3

@Lindbergh31. Good points. But it's precisely because of who the Pens are that we have to make sure we get focused for the next game. Because they are the favorites, because they are favored to go to the Cup Final. Teams like that will eventually right the ship, figure out the problems, get their confidence back, and then get very hard to beat. We need to get really serious about taking advantage of the three chances we have to steal this series or it will slip away -- for the very reason you mention......because anything short of going to the Final for the Penguins is a disaster. They are going to use all the skill and experience they have on that team to prevent that disaster from happening. And now they've smelled a little blood in the water.

Every team down like the Pens were comes up with a big face saving game. Of course the shooter tutor in goal would have won it for us compared to Solaris Bryzgalov

I hate the fact they had 2 days to regroup between games

And of course series must not end in 4 since the TV thang is big

Flyers will be better on the road too, away from the stuff at home and the pressure to close it out in front of the home fans

Chill, we are still up 3-1 and I expected this

I'm sorry, somebody obviously slipped acid in my drink, because I thought I just read 2 or 3 people say it was good that the Flyboys gave up 10 ******* goals tonight. That's better a one goal loss? Because the Pens will be cocky again? What??? The Flyers played horrible HORRIBLE defense in games 2 and 3, got no goaltending, but were fortunate that the Pens **** themselves after losing game 1 in OT. This atrocious play finally caught up with them and manifested itself in the worst home playoff loss I can ever remember, but this is a good thing? Wow, pass the dutchie on the left hand side....

• Like 1

I think it's good they got a nice ***-whooping tonight. They got big-headed and expected a cakewalk. This will bring them back to reality that they reason they're a good team is because of the effort they give. I'm sure the young guys got a little cocky and I don't even want to talk about the goaltending. Bryzgalov - you suck. I don't know it's his injury or what but he flat out sucks. Bob was cold going in and sucked too. I think they'll win Game 5 but the goaltending without question has to change.

I'm sorry, somebody obviously slipped acid in my drink, because I thought I just read 2 or 3 people say it was good that the Flyboys gave up 10 ******* goals tonight. That's better a one goal loss?

hey, i'm just thinking back through playoff games past. every now and them someone gets totally smoked, and more often than not, the next game is an entirely different story. 2010, san jose goes up 3 games to none on detroit. detroit roasts them in game 4, 7-1. san jose shakes it off and eliminates the wings in game 5. that kind of thing.

close loss, you focus on how close it was, but you couldn't get it done. that can carry into the next game. horrific loss, you call it craziness and put it behind you. the flyers did some really bad things they need to not do on friday, but even at their worst, they are not a 10-goals-against team. and even at their best, pittsburgh is not a score-10-goals team. tonight was just bizarro. shake it off and let the penguin's fans witness their last game of the season.

@aziz

You make valid points, there certainly isn't a "what if" moment to mess their heads. Something just snapped when I read that that abortion tonight was a good thing. Let's hope they do shake it off and move forward, but I've got a nasty feeling the Pens just woke up.

@SpikeDDS

it was a humongous big loss on home ice, it stings, badly

And if that's what your boys focus on, then you may be right. It may be all over.

But if your team's any good, they're gonna be ticked off with themselves and say, "We're not letting freaking Pittsburgh embarrass us like that," and they'll refocus their game and play.

If all they can do is focus on how bad a one-game whooping stings, then they don't deserve to move on to the second round.

I say the Flyers are better than that, not even being a fan.

• Like 1

I've got a nasty feeling the Pens just woke up

probably. we won't see the penguins of game 2/3 anymore, certainly. so.. the real penguins are back. the penguins there flyers played all season, the penguins of game 1. the flyers can take 1 of 3 from that team.

@SpikeDDS

Not being from this area, I am afraid you won't undertsand the frustration. Your team has won what..... 4 cups in the last 12 years? The Flyers haven't won since Jim Carter was in the Whitehouse. And every year there is something new with this team. If it's not injuries, it's bad goaltending. If not bad goaltending, it's terrible coaching. EVERY FRICKING YEAR.

We better get out of the 1st round......that's all I can say.

probably. we won't see the penguins of game 2/3 anymore, certainly. so.. the real penguins are back. the penguins there flyers played all season, the penguins of game 1. the flyers can take 1 of 3 from that team.

I am certainly not a mind reader, but I think the Pens felt all along they were a better team. They know full well, I am sure, that they were outplayed in the first 3 games, hence the frustration at the end of Game 3. Yet, they also know the Flyers allowed 4 goals per game in the thirst 3 games, while still ending up winning.

I *do* think they are just waking up.

I don't know for how much longer Couturier can continue containing Malkin. And I am saying that with full admiration for what Couturier has accomplished.

I don't know for how much longer we can get away with falling behind and winning.

I don't know for how much longer we can afford blowing coverage, not taking body, and playing an absolutely disgusting team D and keep winning.

I don't know for how much longer our beyond terrible goaltending will not cost us games in the playoffs (well, it did in the Game 4, but the entire team mailed it in).

Don't you think the Pens players and their coach know that? Look. If we were up 3 games to none and played at *least* a decent team defense, I would say the Flyers have full command of the series. But we both know that's not the case. Our depth bailed us out in the 3 games. But the playoffs are won with goaltending and defense, none of which we have right now. And we better hope Grossman is not out with concussion for a long time, because as bad as our defense is, he is one player who at least *tries* to provide steady presence. If not, we are stuck with Lilja and Kubina, both of whom have been a disaster.

I don't mean to be panicking, but there is every reason to be concerned.

@Mad Dog

I agree with all of that, BUT... the penguins are a flawed team, too. they still have a thin blue line, they still have top heavy offense, fleury has still been terrible, and they have struggled against Philly all season, especially in Pittsburgh. 2 decent periods from fleury do not mean he has fixed his issues, and the flyers have yet to lose a meaningfull game in Pittsburgh.

IMO, game 1 was what a "normal" game between these two teams looks like... and the flyers can win 1 of 3 of those.

the only thing is, of course, flyers goaltending. if they can get game 1 type performance from bryzgalov, then the flyers will advance, be it tomorrow, Sunday, or whenever game 7 is. if, on the other hand, last night was the start if another lost in the woods adventure..... Bob has regressed. I don't know. the flyers need average goaltending. the question is: can they get that. if so, they'll be fine. if not......

@Mad Dog

I agree with all of that, BUT... the penguins are a flawed team, too. they still have a thin blue line, they still have top heavy offense, fleury has still been terrible, and they have struggled against Philly all season, especially in Pittsburgh. 2 decent periods from fleury do not mean he has fixed his issues, and the flyers have yet to lose a meaningfull game in Pittsburgh.

IMO, game 1 was what a "normal" game between these two teams looks like... and the flyers can win 1 of 3 of those.

the only thing is, of course, flyers goaltending. if they can get game 1 type performance from bryzgalov, then the flyers will advance, be it tomorrow, Sunday, or whenever game 7 is. if, on the other hand, last night was the start if another lost in the woods adventure..... Bob has regressed. I don't know. the flyers need average goaltending. the question is: can they get that. if so, they'll be fine. if not......

The another thing to keep in mind is the veterans on this team don't want to be linked in history as one of the four teams to blow a 3-0 lead in a playoff series. The announcer on tsn quoted what Briere had told the rookies that momentum isn't carried over from game to game in the playoffs. They got their asses whipped, now are they going to pout or are they going to play the way they're capable of playing. The big question mark AS ALWAYS with this organization at playoff time is goaltending, which Bryzagolov are we going to see, the one that played great down the stretch or the one who looks like a deer in headlights. It's time for the Flyers to play desperate hockey with fear of blowing a 3-0 lead in the series.

Edited by Lindbergh31