Trade Bobrovsky?

Guest PHI Flyers10

Does anyone think Bob has a place on this team? Last year he had to try to adjust to the NHL game, and now this year he's had to adjust to being a backup goalie. He plays awful when he comes in cold and is like Bryzgalov where he needs constant starts to get a rhythm. I don't think with Bryzgalov and his contract that that will be possible for Bob. I'm not giving up on him but he likely won't get better behind Bryz. He needs a goalie coach that can teach him to play big in net and how to stop high shots. I know Khabibulin had the same problems Bob did when he first came over. From what I understand, Russian goalies are taught to take away the bottom of the net first and foremost. I keep hearing this name Hovinen that Flyers fans are talking about that we should try to get (if we don't already have him, I haven't done any research).

Would you guys suggest trading Bob and signing a reliable goalie that knows his role as a backup, like Hedberg? Or maybe send Bob to Chicago for Emery? Just pondering because Bob can't be relied on to come in a play well after Bryz craps the bed (again). I feel like it has to be Bryzgalov OR Bobrovsky, but it can't be both.

Flyers 10,

Hovenin is signed and played in Finland. Last I read he had a very good season, and I think he comes to the Phantoms next year. Needs to adjust to North American hockey.

That's what I heard. Give him a season or two with the Phantoms to adjust and in the meantime have a solid backup.

Flyers 10,

I forgot to mention that this guy is 6'7" and should cover alot of net. Flyers also signed a free agent from Ohio State named Cal Heeter who is about 6'4" and he will be with the Phantoms as well. Me thinks the FO also sees the folly of their ways and preparing to move someone. It would be great if we could finally get the goalie situation settled for a change

Flyers 10,

I forgot to mention that this guy is 6'7" and should cover alot of net. Flyers also signed a free agent from Ohio State named Cal Heeter who is about 6'4" and he will be with the Phantoms as well. Me thinks the FO also sees the folly of their ways and preparing to move someone. It would be great if we could finally get the goalie situation settled for a change

Next year is next year. Now there is Game 5 and Bryz. I liked his after-game comments. He will de-cap his defense one by one if they don't give him what he needs to win Game 5. Take it to the bank.

Bear,

I don't think Bryzbye's threat to decap his defense will endear him to his team. Better to accept responsibility for ones own crappy performance than to point fingers.

Edited by PuckMeister

Next year is next year. Now there is Game 5 and Bryz. I liked his after-game comments. He will de-cap his defense one by one if they don't give him what he needs to win Game 5. Take it to the bank.

When does Bryz decap himself? That's the $51 million question.

When does Bryz decap himself? That's the $51 million question.

Next game. If he lets in more goals than the Penguins do and it becomes 3-2.

I would imagine our boy Lavy is getting a little sweaty in the shrts already about this $51M head case in the next game.

But like some of the other geniuses have suggested, who else do you play in goal?

Flyers in a corner. Checkmate.

Next game. If he lets in more goals than the Penguins do and it becomes 3-2.

I would imagine our boy Lavy is getting a little sweaty in the shrts already about this $51M head case in the next game.

But like some of the other geniuses have suggested, who else do you play in goal?

Flyers in a corner. Checkmate.

I agree the Flyers are in a corner but don't be tough on Bryzgalov just yet. It is starting to sound like he has a significant injury that is limiting his mobility. Along with that problem, we have Pronger, Mezsaros and now Grossmann out. Very tough situation, facing the top offensive team in the league with the entire back end of the team roughed up. The Pens have injuries, but they are healthier than us right now.

That's what I heard. Give him a season or two with the Phantoms to adjust and in the meantime have a solid backup.

there's no "in the meantime". the flyers have a goalie signed to a ton of cash for a long long time and he has a no movement clause. there is no reason whatsoever to put green kids in the backup role. if you are locked into a starter, that's when you go shopping for a vet backup who knows his job and is effective coming off the bench. the flyers made a mistake this season on that front; there was/is no benefit to messing around with kids like bob when you have a bryzgalov-type contract sitting in front of him. nor is there any reason to look towards someone like hovenin. why screw around with an unknown in that spot? get a guy you know is good not great, who plays well cold, and understands what being a backup is all about.

all of that is unless bryzgalov really does blow it and the flyers really do buy him out this summer. dropping a series you lef 3-0 and posting a 5+ gaa might just get that done.

• Like 1

there's no "in the meantime". the flyers have a goalie signed to a ton of cash for a long long time and he has a no movement clause. there is no reason whatsoever to put green kids in the backup role. if you are locked into a starter, that's when you go shopping for a vet backup who knows his job and is effective coming off the bench. the flyers made a mistake this season on that front; there was/is no benefit to messing around with kids like bob when you have a bryzgalov-type contract sitting in front of him. nor is there any reason to look towards someone like hovenin. why screw around with an unknown in that spot? get a guy you know is good not great, who plays well cold, and understands what being a backup is all about.

all of that is unless bryzgalov really does blow it and the flyers really do buy him out this summer. dropping a series you lef 3-0 and posting a 5+ gaa might just get that done.

I get what you're saying, but if we can trade Bob for something now and get a cheap solid backup I'd do it. Bryz almost certainly isn't going anywhere unless he's bought out. That's why I think Bob has to go. He doesn't play well off the bench and won't get the starts. They should let these other goalies develop in the AHL and if Bryz continues to suck, let the other guy(s) get a shot. The Flyers need a legitimate backup goalie, not a situation like Vancouver where either could be the starter (although I'll take two awesome goalies). They just need someone who like you said, knows his role.

I like Bryz as a person and think he's a good guy, but he's not THE guy. I'm sure his injury has a good amount to do with it but his one month of good play didn't convince me. It got me excited about him but all of that is gone now. I just don't think Bryz is going anywhere under normal circumstances, so they should probably trade Bob. Obviously we have to deal with what we have now and just focus on these playoffs one game at a time because they're not out of it, but I'm just looking at some possibilities that may help us out.

Hovinen at 6'7" sounds awesome if he's the real deal. Swedish and Finnish goalies tend to be pretty good and are usually more NHL ready at younger ages. I'll look at this Cal Heeter guy too. Who was the other goalie we had who was younger than Bob that I think was Swedish and supposed to be really good? What ever happened to him?

This wasn't really supposed to be a Bryzgalov thread but bottom line is that I, along with everyone else, is direly hoping Bryz can find his game and play through the injury. The foot might hurt but if he can just accept that he's going to have to ignore the pain and play, he'll make me feel a lot better.

Hovinen at 6'7" sounds awesome if he's the real deal. Swedish and Finnish goalies tend to be pretty good and are usually more NHL ready at younger ages. I'll look at this Cal Heeter guy too. Who was the other goalie we had who was younger than Bob that I think was Swedish and supposed to be really good? What ever happened to him?

well, again, i don't see why. right this very second we're seeing what happens when you put a prospect in the #2 slot. you have serious questions when it comes time to lean on him because the starter is having problems. hovinen might be the real deal, and you won't know the answer to that for years. cal heeter, who knows? maybe, but so what? what is the upside to experimenting with your backup with a contract like bryzgalov's? why not take advantage of the fact there is an established starter by NOT using the backup position as a stage for auditioning prospects? why not leverage it and give yourself guaranteed stability, to the extent such a thing exists with professional goaltending.

when you have that starting guy locked in, you back him up with a known quantity. you back him up with a brian boucher or a johan hedberg, guys who will not challenge for vezina trophies, but will give you a solidly and predictably average second option should you need to take it. putting a question mark back there accomplishes nothing.

we're seeing it right now. the flyers need average goaltending at this moment. we don't need a worldbeater, we need a guy who will stop the shots he's supposed to stop. a nice, comfortable .900 sv% is all that is required. better would be great, but really, so long as it isn't .810, the flyers will be ok. i'm not sure bob can give that to us at this point, though. he is still an experiment, still "developing" (or regressing, arguably). that serves no purpose behind a goalie from whom he can not win the starting job. the flyers have the downside of not being flexible in who their starting goalie is; at the very least they should take advantage of not having to experiment with their backup.

well, again, i don't see why. right this very second we're seeing what happens when you put a prospect in the #2 slot. you have serious questions when it comes time to lean on him because the starter is having problems. hovinen might be the real deal, and you won't know the answer to that for years. cal heeter, who knows? maybe, but so what? what is the upside to experimenting with your backup with a contract like bryzgalov's? why not take advantage of the fact there is an established starter by NOT using the backup position as a stage for auditioning prospects? why not leverage it and give yourself guaranteed stability, to the extent such a thing exists with professional goaltending.

when you have that starting guy locked in, you back him up with a known quantity. you back him up with a brian boucher or a johan hedberg, guys who will not challenge for vezina trophies, but will give you a solidly and predictably average second option should you need to take it. putting a question mark back there accomplishes nothing.

we're seeing it right now. the flyers need average goaltending at this moment. we don't need a worldbeater, we need a guy who will stop the shots he's supposed to stop. a nice, comfortable .900 sv% is all that is required. better would be great, but really, so long as it isn't .810, the flyers will be ok. i'm not sure bob can give that to us at this point, though. he is still an experiment, still "developing" (or regressing, arguably). that serves no purpose behind a goalie from whom he can not win the starting job. the flyers have the downside of not being flexible in who their starting goalie is; at the very least they should take advantage of not having to experiment with their backup.

Well the way I see it, Hovinen probably wouldn't be ready for at least another two years. If Bryzgalov still sucks after two years, don't you think they wouldn't start him anymore? Or just buy him out? They won't stick with Bryz for the next three seasons if he continues to suck.

If Bryzgalov still sucks after two years, don't you think they wouldn't start him anymore? Or just buy him out?

if they buy him out after the next two seasons, they will take a cap hit on him for 12 years after that.

and they won't take a $5.6mil cap hit for their backup.

if bryzgalov doesn't get bought out during a theoretical penalty-free window this summer, he will be the flyers' starter for the next 6 years, minimum.

if they buy him out after the next two seasons, they will take a cap hit on him for 12 years after that.

and they won't take a $5.6mil cap hit for their backup.

if bryzgalov doesn't get bought out during a theoretical penalty-free window this summer, he will be the flyers' starter for the next 6 years, minimum.

Why would it be for 12 years if his contract is for 9? And as much as it logically makes sense that you wouldn't have a $5.6 million man on the bench, I just have a tough time believing Snider would let Bryz start for that long if he's that bad. He would find a way to move him. It sucks the new CBA is this year instead of next. One year isn't enough to completely judge Bryz, but it's almost certain that he's a system goalie. It sucks he had that one great month instead of just sucking because now we don't know if he really was playing to his true potential and now his potential injury is hindering him or if he really just flat out sucks.

Bear,

I don't think Bryzbye's threat to decap his defense will endear him to his team. Better to accept responsibility for ones own crappy performance than to point fingers.

Same issue I had with Leighton. Hated that crap. Take ownership and fix it.

Who was the other goalie we had who was younger than Bob that I think was Swedish and supposed to be really good? What ever happened to him?

Joakim Eriksson. Didn't resign him. Not sure why.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5506

Why would it be for 12 years if his contract is for 9?

Ilya Bryzgalov buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2012-13: $875,000
  • 2013-14: -$625,000
  • 2014-15: $1,375,000
  • 2015-16: $1,375,000
  • 2016-17: $1,875,000
  • 2017-18: $1,875,000
  • 2018-19: $5,125,000
  • 2019-20: $6,125,000
  • 2020-21: $1,708,333
  • 2021-22: $1,708,333
  • 2022-23: $1,708,333
  • 2023-24: $1,708,333
  • 2024-25: $1,708,333
  • 2025-26: $1,708,333
  • 2026-27: $1,708,333
  • 2027-28: $1,708,333

http://bit.ly/lw7ZYZ

Ugh.

Ilya Bryzgalov buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2012-13: $875,000
  • 2013-14: -$625,000
  • 2014-15: $1,375,000
  • 2015-16: $1,375,000
  • 2016-17: $1,875,000
  • 2017-18: $1,875,000
  • 2018-19: $5,125,000
  • 2019-20: $6,125,000
  • 2020-21: $1,708,333
  • 2021-22: $1,708,333
  • 2022-23: $1,708,333
  • 2023-24: $1,708,333
  • 2024-25: $1,708,333
  • 2025-26: $1,708,333
  • 2026-27: $1,708,333
  • 2027-28: $1,708,333

http://bit.ly/lw7ZYZ

Ugh.

I don't get why the numbers would be like that but I don't get the cap rules all too well anyways. Doesn't make sense that it randomly jumps to ridiculous numbers after starting low and then evening out. Not to mention it runs until 2028...

I agree the Flyers are in a corner but don't be tough on Bryzgalov just yet. It is starting to sound like he has a significant injury that is limiting his mobility. Along with that problem, we have Pronger, Mezsaros and now Grossmann out. Very tough situation, facing the top offensive team in the league with the entire back end of the team roughed up. The Pens have injuries, but they are healthier than us right now.

Terp:

I am very cool with Bryz. A lot of folks aren't. I am. He's got a bumn paw.

Absolutely, Pronger, Mez, and now Gross-burger. Like I said, D is in tough shape.

That's why I am not getting up expectations. I have hope, but....

BOI

• Like 1

Terp:

I am very cool with Bryz. A lot of folks aren't. I am. He's got a bumn paw.

Absolutely, Pronger, Mez, and now Gross-burger. Like I said, D is in tough shape.

That's why I am not getting up expectations. I have hope, but....

BOI

I'm just afraid there might be a free buyout this summer and it won't be taken on Bryz and then he'll suck again and we'll be stuck with him. I expect he'll be here but if he sucks everyone will blame Homer for not buying him out. Bob just can't be our backup.

Guys,

Eriksson refused the offer made by the Flyers so I guess he goes back into the draft pool. We also had Johan Backlund with the Phantoms, but he returned to Europe. Don't know if he is still Flyers' property or not.

I don't get why the numbers would be like that but I don't get the cap rules all too well anyways. Doesn't make sense that it randomly jumps to ridiculous numbers after starting low and then evening out. Not to mention it runs until 2028...

i could go into details, but the bottom line is that's how buyouts work. you take a cap hit for twice the years remaining on the contract, and that cap hit is dependant year by year on a bunch of things, and it can fluctuate.

the moral of the story is that buyouts are usually really bad ideas, and thus bryzgalov will be on the team for a long time.