Twitter Rumor about Bryz

Guest AndyS

Someone is saying that he has a hip injury & is a game-time decision tomorrow.

Of course, the Flyers are denying it.

My guess is that Bob gets the nod in game #5 and they will just cite his history of success in Pittsburgh as the reason.

My guess is that Bob gets the nod in game #5 and they will just cite his history of success in Pittsburgh as the reason.

According to one account, he left practice after 10 minutes today. Seems likely something is wrong with him.

Let's see what happens the next 2 games, Game 7 shows up....then we can all panic.

you aren't wrong. i'm just seeing a bobrovsky who is having the same level of problems that bryzgalov has had over the last few games. bob has only posted better than a .890 sv% 3 times in his last 11 showings. in those 11 games, he posted worse than .850 6 times. he's a mess. bryzgalov is a mess, and possibly hurt. as horrific as it is to say, leighton might be the most solid option the flyers have.

and it is horrific to say.

For the ever mother effing love of God, are people actually ready to turn this team over to Michael Leighton???? The same goalie that has been buried in the AHL all year, the same goalie that NO one in the entire league picked up when he went thru waivers 3-6 times this year-when they could have had him for half his salary, the same goalie that is one of the MAIN reasons we are still playing goalie roulette??????

Cmon, guys...even if Bryz is hurt, which based on last night, appears plausible. WTF???? Like Bob or not, he is the backup for this team...he laid a colossal egg last night, as did the entire team!!!

You really want to go back to a 3 goalie circus. REALLY??????

HOLY EFFING SH*IT...we lost ONE game...badly..historically..and we are ready to throw the reins to Michael Freaking Leighton?????????????????????????

Let's see what happens the next 2 games, Game 7 shows up....then we can all panic.

"end of rant"

Definitely not letting Leighton come in. Everyone thought he would save us last year and he got embarrassed. I felt kind of bad for him. They can't try to fix their post-season problems with a gimmick right now.

Bryzgalov isn't hurt - or if he is there's no difference from a "healthy" Bryzgalov. When did this mystery hip injury happen? Before that outstretched-like-a-gymnast save on Letang the other night, or was it after? Maybe that was what did it, that save!?

Last night we saw - again - Brzygalov's "character" - he gets pulled after giving up 5 goals on 18 shots - pucks dribbling through his pads, rebounds swatted out to the slot, etc... - and as he's going off the ice he just skates right by Bob, doesn't even look at

him.

Apparently an encouraging stick tap to his backup is not in Bryzgalov's character.

Fk Bryzgalov. Like I've been saying all season. Like I've been saying since July 1, 2011.

The only thing - ONLY THING - more stupid than signing this clown would be to dress Michael Leighton for another PO game. Good god. If we do that - it's bad enough he's with the team; if he dresses for a game I hope the Flyers lose this series. I mean it. Any coach, any team THAT stupid doesn't deserve Round 2.

• Like 1

It all boils down to the fact that we don't have even a decent goalie in the system. It's sad to put it this way, but it's a reality.

But here is what botehrs me now... Other than one memorable save on Letang earlier in the series, Bryzgalov didn't play well. And I noticed he just didn't fell comfortable. If the Flyers knew he was not 100% and still went with him, that tells me they have absolutely no faith in Bob at all, of course depending on how badly Bryz is injured. And frankly, I don't blame them as Bob has struggled lately.

But let's assume Bryzgalov is in fact injured. What do you do if you are Laviolette? Do you roll the dice and still play him? Or go with Bob, in which case you are *still* rolling the dice? Will playing Bob who is 100% healthy give them better chances of winning than playing Bryz who is at........ who knows...... 70%? 80 %?

It all boils down to the fact that we don't have even a decent goalie in the system. It's sad to put it this way, but it's a reality.

But here is what botehrs me now... Other than one memorable save on Letang earlier in the series, Bryzgalov didn't play well. And I noticed he just didn't fell comfortable. If the Flyers knew he was not 100% and still went with him, that tells me they have absolutely no faith in Bob at all, of course depending on how badly Bryz is injured. And frankly, I don't blame them as Bob has struggled lately.

But let's assume Bryzgalov is in fact injured. What do you do if you are Laviolette? Do you roll the dice and still play him? Or go with Bob, in which case you are *still* rolling the dice? Will playing Bob who is 100% healthy give them better chances of winning than playing Bryz who is at........ who knows...... 70%? 80 %?

And then you have to factor in that Bob hasn't played a real game in 3 weeks...

not good. bob is a mess right now.

fcuk. i really am starting to think about leighton.

I think there are a few things going on here and though I'm worried, I think the team can pull itself together.

The first factor is that last night was as much about the Pens being good as the Flyers being bad. When they bring it, they can make you look bad and when you are down by 4 plus goals, packing it in becomes an option. So there's that. Also, I'm convinced that Bryzgalov has a serious injury and perhaps should not have played at all. That certainly contributed to the downward spiral, as did the fact that Bob wasn't sharp. He's paid to deal with situations like he was in last night but he cracked. I'm not expecting him to be a complete mess though because, unlike Bryzgalov, he's not a head case. He's got a strong mental constitution and good focus so, if he knows he's going to be the starter, I think he can get himself ready and play reasonably well.

Among other things, Bob's going to have to avoid trying to do too much, always a risk for a goaltender when the team is playing poorly in front of him. The defense has been bad for a while now, out of sorts, off its game. This worries me more than Bob. It is a function of the Pens offense, guys in the line up being way less than 100% and faces coming in and out of the line up. So there has to be a team wide commitment to disciplined play and maniacal defense. If they make the commitment to that and execute, they can help settle down Bob and beat the Pens.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, I'm saying that they can make it happen if they are willing to play a certain style.

Let's get down to cases. Bryzgalov had about 15 okay-to-good games the entire year, most of them right after Grossmann and Kubina came aboard. Bob hasn't had a solid game all year that I can remember, and I'm his biggest fan. I don't necessarily blame him for not being a 10-year veteran backup who can come in cold and shut the door. I don't blame him for looking rusty and shaky in his starts, when those starts come once every 3 weeks.

But - down to cases. We need somebody in net tomorrow night. If I'm Lavy and I know Bryzgalov is struggling with an injury that affects his movement I start Bob, no hesitation. Bryzgalov's movement SUCKS as it is; anything hampering it and you might as well put the Shooter Tutor between the pipes for all the lateral movement you can expect.

you aren't wrong. i'm just seeing a bobrovsky who is having the same level of problems that bryzgalov has had over the last few games. bob has only posted better than a .890 sv% 3 times in his last 11 showings. in those 11 games, he posted worse than .850 6 times. he's a mess. bryzgalov is a mess, and possibly hurt. as horrific as it is to say, leighton might be the most solid option the flyers have.

And that 11th game dates back to Feb 4 (he didn't start the Feb 18th vs Pit either - played 23 minutes of sacrificial lamb). And, Feb was the month that no one played any defense at all, or the month of the backside goal, take your pick. Essentially, it forced Homer to bring in Grossman (yay) and Kubina (barf). That 10-3 Bryzaster was Bob's third game in April (he didn't start the massacre, but got to play Mayan offering), and he had three games in March.

And fricking Baden Holtby is playing like Patrick Roy for Washington...

Why can't we have a good goaltending at least once? Why???

Holtby has been their best goalie for the last two years, but fatass was too stupid to play him over Varly and Neuvy / Neuvy and Vokoun.

• Like 1

hey MadDog - we never met but I imagine you're a sane person. I doubt you believe in much supernatural stuff like curses, ghosts, witches, etc. I'm that way too. I figure there's a ton of unexplained things going on but ghosts? witches? I don't think so.

But I am REALLY starting to wonder just Who or What we pissed off to deserve this. I mean it. There almost HAS to be a curse on the Flyers goaltending position.

I never believed Bryzgalov would bring us anything good, but he did shape up in March and he played pretty well. So okay, good, we got our PO goalie. Maybe. Because we all know he's sucked in the POs for years now. But okay, better than Leighton, better than Boosh/Bob (so everyone said anyway, though I thought different).

And now HE'S injured too?

WTF? I mean really, just...WTF is going on?

hey MadDog - we never met but I imagine you're a sane person. I doubt you believe in much supernatural stuff like curses, ghosts, witches, etc. I'm that way too. I figure there's a ton of unexplained things going on but ghosts? witches? I don't think so.

But I am REALLY starting to wonder just Who or What we pissed off to deserve this. I mean it. There almost HAS to be a curse on the Flyers goaltending position.

I never believed Bryzgalov would bring us anything good, but he did shape up in March and he played pretty well. So okay, good, we got our PO goalie. Maybe. Because we all know he's sucked in the POs for years now. But okay, better than Leighton, better than Boosh/Bob (so everyone said anyway, though I thought different).

And now HE'S injured too?

WTF? I mean really, just...WTF is going on?

What about Bryzgolfov have you seen in this series to say he's better than Leighton ? Leighton played pretty well during our run up until the finals.

• Like 1

Ok, the Flyers management and ownership have their out now when this thing goes south. Ok, you think they will play Bob the rest of the playoffs? Even if it is only 1 game or games? I certainly don't. Flyers lose next game Leighton is on the bus from Adarondack and to the shock and dismay of most, back in the net. I think this is actually a rather easy decision. That means Bob officially got traded after this season, and the Flyers are not only out of options, have pooped their pants really badly once again in goal, but also giving Leighton the rope to hang/scapegoat, or be good for a round, or who knows. Maybe enough of a hero to go another round, or...What a story this will become. I can hear Pierre McGuire now. I can see Leighton actually getting in Penn's heads. Call me crazy.

For the ever mother effing love of God, are people actually ready to turn this team over to Michael Leighton???? The same goalie that has been buried in the AHL all year, the same goalie that NO one in the entire league picked up when he went thru waivers 3-6 times this year-when they could have had him for half his salary, the same goalie that is one of the MAIN reasons we are still playing goalie roulette??????

Cmon, guys...even if Bryz is hurt, which based on last night, appears plausible. WTF???? Like Bob or not, he is the backup for this team...he laid a colossal egg last night, as did the entire team!!!

You really want to go back to a 3 goalie circus. REALLY??????

HOLY EFFING SH*IT...we lost ONE game...badly..historically..and we are ready to throw the reins to Michael Freaking Leighton?????????????????????????

"end of rant"

Nice rant. Well taken. But if Bryz is injured, Bob is not the guy. Now that leaves....

Accurate analysis. Like usual with you. Nothing to apologize about. This could be quite a story, eh?

Crazy, I know... And to be fair to the Flyers, this year they were actually serious about trying to improve this position. They actually got serious even two years ago, when Nabokov rejected their offer sheet.

When they acquired Bryzgalov, I was skeptical. I saw some beats and pieces of the Phoenix - Detroit series, and I didn't see anything special. But I was thinking OK, maybe he wouldn't be a savior, maybe this isn't exactly Martin Brodeur, but he can't possibly be much worse than what we had last year. Boy was I wrong... Not even in my worst dreams I imagined him being that bad.

We got barely one decent month out of him. ONE MONTH! And that's when actually the whole team was playing their best hockey of the season. I can't imagine Snider is happy with his doing. Yes, in public he won't critisize any of his players. But I don't know how he can be watching this clown allowing 4 goals per game in the playoffs and not shaking his head.

I don't believe in some supernatural power either, but there is no scientific or rational way I can find to explain this goaltending disaster that we are facing for more than 2 decades. I just can't.

Edited by Mad Dog

Crazy, I know... And to be fair to the Flyers, this year they were actually serious about trying to improve this position. They actually got serious even two years ago, when Nabokov rejected their offer sheet.

When they acquired Bryzgalov, I was skeptical. I saw some beats and pieces of the Phoenix - Detroit series, and I didn't see anything special. But I was thinking OK, maybe he wouldn't be a savior, maybe this isn't exactly Martin Brodeur, but he can't possibly be much worse than what we had last year. Boy was I wrong... Not even in my worst dreams I imagined him being that bad.

We got barely one decent month out of him. ONE MONTH! And that's when actually the whole team was playing their best hockey of the season. I can't imagine Snider is happy with his doing. Yes, in public he won't critisize any of his players. But I don't know how he can be watching this clown allowing 4 goals per game in the playoffs and not shaking his head.

I don't believe in some supernatural power either, but there is no scientific or rational way I can find to explain this goaltending disaster that we are facing for more than 2 decades. I just can't.

I don't get how it's physically possible to be THIS bad as an NHL goalie. Like it literally doesn't make any sense...