Twitter Rumor about Bryz

Guest AndyS

@aziz

"you aren't wrong. i'm just seeing a bobrovsky who is having the same level of problems that bryzgalov has had over the last few games. bob has only posted better than a .890 sv% 3 times in his last 11 showings. in those 11 games, he posted worse than .850 6 times. he's a mess. bryzgalov is a mess, and possibly hurt. as horrific as it is to say, leighton might be the most solid option the flyers have.

and it is horrific to say."

Well, I think the Flyers really screwed the pooch on this. I think there was probably a meeting with Bryz in januaryish and Bryz said "you are paying me 51m"- play me all the time. They did and he got better for one month. Meanwhile Bobs sat and rotted. Through the end of January, Bobs has posted very good sv percentage (.920's on average) 15 out of 19 games.

I also get the feeling that Bryz is not particularly friendly with Bob. This is based on some articles in November where Bob said something to the effect of "we don't talk" regarding his relationship and goaltending situation with Bryz. That does not bode well at all.

Lets get real

Bryz is injured, those games at the end of the season were obvious he had trouble moving

It was when he was on a roll

AS someone else mentioned the whole thing changed when we started clearing the crease with Grossman and Kubina good/bad was at least a big experienced body though not as mobile . WE could roll enough veteran NHL d that the minutes were properly divvied up and Bryz played great too. But now he is partially crippled up, this is not mental

SO if they guy is injured an and has poor lateral mobility as a result plus we have our d getting concussions ( 2 in 4 games) its going to take better team D and better CHOICES/DECISIONS every play and obviously someone else in net to get it done. I have no idea what the injury is in depth or the prognosis, but frankly I would put someone else in net from our remaining 2 and might just go with Leaky. If he can NOT over committ and go sliding out side the crease he is effective. Playing a conservative style he fills a lot of net and can make the shooters shoot into his chest and pads a lot.

Someone is saying that he has a hip injury & is a game-time decision tomorrow.

Of course, the Flyers are denying it.

My guess is that Bob gets the nod in game #5 and they will just cite his history of success in Pittsburgh as the reason.

I know our goalies got lit up last game but alot of that responsibility needs to come from the team defense also.. team needs to tighten up and block more shots, clear the crease..it's just not happening last game..

I don't believe in some supernatural power either, but there is no scientific or rational way I can find to explain this goaltending disaster that we are facing for more than 2 decades. I just can't.

The Flyers have been cursed at the Goalie position almost just as long as the Sixers have been cursed at the Center position after getting rid of Moses Malone.

• Like 1

Bryz texting and walks straight into Bear.

That looked like a grizzly or brown bear. Fortunately for that guy, the bear was in a mellow, taking it all in mood. Running away like that is always a bad idea; that's how dinner reacts.

Meanwhile Bobs sat and rotted.

Maybe but I took a second look at the goals scored on Bob in game 4 and, with the possible exception of the 9th goal (even so, Staal on a 2 on 1), Bob had no chance on any of them. They were all blasts from the slot where the shooter had plenty of time to pick the top corner of the net. Leighton is out of the question. I'm comfortable with Bob and way, way more in favor of starting a healthy Bob over a hobbled Bryzgalov.

• Like 2

That looked like a grizzly or brown bear. Fortunately for that guy, the bear was in a mellow, taking it all in mood. Running away like that is always a bad idea; that's how dinner reacts.

It was a black bear. Not quite as agressive (normally) as Grizzlies.

It was a black bear. Not quite as agressive (normally) as Grizzlies.

Can you tell be looking at the footage or was there a news story? I suppose a grizzly would be too shy to show up there in the first place.

Just the footage. The fur is black and is much darker than the color of the bear's muzzle. Grizzlies are bigger, lighter in color, and I don't think there are any left in CA. Black bears apparently are a fairly common (relatively speaking) nuisance in some areas of CA.

They did and he got better for one month. Meanwhile Bobs sat and rotted. Through the end of January, Bobs has posted very good sv percentage (.920's on average) 15 out of 19 games.

Right. Bobrovksky was playing head and shoulders better than Bryzgalov, but the money was invested and they went with Bryz come helll and/or high water. And it seemed to pay off, as Bryzgalov posted multiple shutouts and was named Hot Sh:t player of the month of March and all is well with the Universe. Until the playoffs. GAA of 3, 5, 4, 11+! Meanwhile, Bobrovksy rots and thrown to the wolves on short notice and little work in months he was pretty bad.

So now we have two goalies with bad heads.

Right. Bobrovksky was playing head and shoulders better than Bryzgalov, but the money was invested and they went with Bryz come helll and/or high water. And it seemed to pay off, as Bryzgalov posted multiple shutouts and was named Hot Sh:t player of the month of March and all is well with the Universe. Until the playoffs. GAA of 3, 5, 4, 11+! Meanwhile, Bobrovksy rots and thrown to the wolves on short notice and little work in months he was pretty bad.

So now we have two goalies with bad heads.

I don't know if I can say that he was playing head and shoulder better than Bryzgalov. And Special K *may* be right after all: Bob may end up being nothing more than a back-up. Problem *I* have is that Bob has not been given a chance to develop properly and the Flyers may never really find out how good he can be.

Going after a legit #1 goalie was not a mistake this off-season. Signing Bryzgalov was.

• Like 1

I don't know if I can say that he was playing head and shoulder better than Bryzgalov. And Special K *may* be right after all: Bob may end up being nothing more than a back-up. Problem *I* have is that Bob has not been given a chance to develop properly and the Flyers may never really find out how good he can be.

Going after a legit #1 goalie was not a mistake this off-season. Signing Bryzgalov was.

Yep, no chance to develop, and a space cadet paid like a Fleet Admiral forced ahead on the depth chart. I wouldn't resign if I was Bob. And I am very pro Bob.

@maddog

I would have rather the flyers sign a tenured back-up and let bobs go hone the North American game in Adirondack playing 60 some plus games to develop. While he may never develop into a bonifide NHL #1, if you look at his body of work from last year through January, it was pretty impressive. Stellar, no, but still pretty impressive. He has faults, but is extremely athletic and very quick. You can't teach those attributes. You can teach things like rebound control, better glove hand, stick handling etc. But natural cat like athleticism is a god given natural ability (and one that Breezy does not possess).