Miller's mask comes off WAY TOO EASY!

Guest Samifan

Third game in a row I have seen his mask come flying off! C'mon Ryan, crank down on the straps a bit tighter. Miller's trying to get some sympathy from the refs by flopping around every game with his lid off.

I just got off work and watched the game....the first time his own team mate pulled it off to stop play and Miller took a puck in the noggin for the trouble. The second one, he had no one at all on the right side of the ice(Miller's left) so he tilted his head and shucked the mask to stop play. Both times it was entirely intentional and a good ploy for stopping play if it works. He is lucky he only got a scratch from the Hartnell PUCK not stick to the face. It is something that needs to be looked at and if it is as intentional as both of those plays looked, he should get a 2 minute delay of game penalty. What he is doing is the equivalent of shooting the puck off the ice to give his team a chance to reset and get in position.

I just got off work and watched the game....the first time his own team mate pulled it off to stop play and Miller took a puck in the noggin for the trouble. The second one, he had no one at all on the right side of the ice(Miller's left) so he tilted his head and shucked the mask to stop play. Both times it was entirely intentional and a good ploy for stopping play if it works. He is lucky he only got a scratch from the Hartnell PUCK not stick to the face. It is something that needs to be looked at and if it is as intentional as both of those plays looked, he should get a 2 minute delay of game penalty. What he is doing is the equivalent of shooting the puck off the ice to give his team a chance to reset and get in position.

I think the second one is probably right. They did make some good points about there being no chinstrap on goalie helmets, but I would imagine that's part of the protection from the 90mph piece of hardened rubber being flung at you. A more secure helmet would pass more of the impact.

The collision with his own player I just can't see as premeditated - unless they have some drills or talk about situations in which to attempt to rip your own goalie's mask off and agreement from the goalie as to when to expect this to happen..

Which I simply don't believe.

Boosh did the same thing, IIRC, in the playoffs last year for the Flyers. It does go both ways...

That said, I wouldn't mind some ruling on "intentional delay of game" in similar situations - aside from the fact that it would give more "discretion" to the refs...

The collision with his own player I just can't see as premeditated - unless they have some drills or talk about situations in which to attempt to rip your own goalie's mask off and agreement from the goalie as to when to expect this to happen..

I watched the playback on it a few times before it really stood out. Miller pulled his head out of the mask but he seemed to be under the impression the puck was covered and did not want it dug out while he was out of position.

Third game in a row I have seen his mask come flying off! C'mon Ryan, crank down on the straps a bit tighter. Miller's trying to get some sympathy from the refs by flopping around every game with his lid off.

Apparently he made some changes to his mask this year, adding more padding inside, after he got a concussion from getting hit with a shot last year. And the extra padding is making it easier for the mask to come off:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article664474.ece

"I've tried putting extra padding in my mask this year and apparently it's not keeping it on my head," Miller said. "It's been pretty good for puck impacts but I got to get a way to make that thing stay on a little tighter. I'll have to go to the drawing board on that because this is too much and that was dangerous."

Apparently he made some changes to his mask this year, adding more padding inside, after he got a concussion from getting hit with a shot last year. And the extra padding is making it easier for the mask to come off:

http://www.buffalone...ticle664474.ece

"I've tried putting extra padding in my mask this year and apparently it's not keeping it on my head," Miller said. "It's been pretty good for puck impacts but I got to get a way to make that thing stay on a little tighter. I'll have to go to the drawing board on that because this is too much and that was dangerous."

Well, I think Miller's comment indicates that it's not (always) "intentional" - and if you're a goalie the LAST thing you want is to be out there without a mask on...

• 1 month later...