Finally watched Torres hit on Hossa

Guest DAXflyer

Sorry if this has been covered before but I finally saw the Torres hit on Hossa. Apart from the injury of course, how is this not a carbon copy of Neal on Couturier? The article states he is a repeat offender, but I am not sure to what extent. Well Neal is a repeat offender also.

I literally got a deja vu feeling watching the clip of the hit..... wait a minute, I swear I just saw this.... only the uniforms were different colors.... and the guy only got a 1 game suspension... which wasn't even for the same hit, but another cheap hit on the same shift....

From the Weber slap on the wrist to the discrepancies between these two suspensions Shanny needs to be done. I agree with alot of the other posters. Get a retired unbiased official for the position of discipline czar.

Not that I like Torres, or what he did, but I hope he does appeal. Just go in there and play footage of him and Neal on split screen. Play the tape, explain that he and Neal both have prior history, express sympathy and wish Hossa a speedy recovery, then say "REALLY SHANNY? ARE YOU FUING KIDDING ME?"

The NHL is a freaking circus!

• Like 1

yup... they're encouraging soccer 'injury' here. they're handling these playoffs horribly. I thought shanny was doing a good job this season, especially early on. but, the 2nd half things tapered off and now his "system" is a mess.

the players are being given very mixed messages here, I think torres's got a legitimate appeal for lesser games. and I would most def show the Neal hit in my appeal.

the one wrinkle was Shanny explanation that Torres' supposed one handed swing of his stick in the direction of the puck proved he knew Hossa didn't have the puck when he went at him. I thought that was pretty weak.

But 5 headshot suspensions prior to this one--they needed to do something.

At the same time I don't understand the massive difference between 1 and 25.

Torres just needed to say it was an accident.

If you are careening around the ice recklessly with no idea where the puck is or where other people on the ice are, you have little responsibility for your actions. Or something.

And they are definitely going to be made to look like fools with this "injury" nonsense.

The NHL is a freaking circus!

In the NHL, it is more about who you are than what you did (to paraphrase Don Cherry). This is true for the on ice officials, who are so aware of "who's on the ice" (as they are constantly reminded to do) that they call the personalities rather than the infractions. I can somewhat sympathize with this and view it as an area for improvement.

On the other hand, when it comes to supplemental discipline, there is no excuse for what we are seeing. Torres is definitely worse and more dangerous than Neal but it just isn't plausible that Neal deserved no punishment but Torres deserved 25 games. The outcome of the review of Neal's hit suggests that all a star player has to do is cook up some barely plausible lie and he gets off.

Once again, NHL justice is swift and sure.....but only for 4th liners.

If anything, Neal took a longer run at Couturier and then lied about what happened. Neal got ZERO games for that hit. Surely he deserved something more than zero and a lot less than 25.

There is only one reason why Neal's hit was ok, and Torres' wasn't. Shanahan accepted Neal's explanation that, as rad says, (cue Will Smith from MIB) "it was a accident".

If anything, Neal took a longer run at Couturier and then lied about what happened. Neal got ZERO games for that hit. Surely he deserved something more than zero and a lot less than 25.

I was thinking the same. Neal's hit was later and almost seemed more preemptive than Torres'.