Will we be healthy for round 2?

Guest Phillygrump

Caps are going to seven, on Wednesday. That's at least a few days rest for the start of round two. I think that's enough time for Mesz. With Grossman and a concussion, I have no clue. Maybe Bryz will practice every single day and try to be consistently decent. Maybe.

apparently briere hinted pretty strongely that there are many injuries that many guys are playing through that we have no idea about. i think you could see some of their game drop... simmonds, read. i think kubina has not been really healthy. timo.... the list probably goes on.

this week off is pretty crucial for us. normally i don't like the long lay off cause i fear they will come out flat in gm1, but it's pretty essential for these guys to get healthy here. it's just really good they closed it out today.

• Like 1

I hear Grossman and Mez are coming back. JVR is back. Is this all true? Are we healthy at the right time?

I would love to get Andrej the Giant back for this next round.

I wish Mez could be back but a back injury isn't something you come back effectively quickly. I hope I'm wrong!

I'm glad JVR is back, but he has some serious rust to shake off... that said, he's skating better than I thought I guy who had a broken bone in his foot repaired only a month ago.

@Bakanekimiwa

the Penguins are a physical team they skate fast and hit hard, i'm sure guys have paid the price and have some nicks and dings that some rest will help to heal. i'm not surprised, that series was tough.

and that's not even taking into account malkin and neal.

Guys are always nicked up this time of year, which is why the depth on both the forward and D lines is a blessing.

As I read it, the earliest they're likely to go again is Friday and if either of the other series goes 7, I could see them being the featured first game on Sunday.

A week off right now is invaluable. This isn't a squad that looks like they'll lose their edge.

They didn't look all that great with the extra time off between games 3 and 4 though

I hope that Bryz takes practice every day....there are certainly enough callups around to shoot on him and keep him focused......

I hope you are right. They didn't look all that great with the extra time off between games 3 and 4 though.

Everyone will tell you the fourth game is the hardest to win in a sweep.

And the Pens had all of the motivation to win that game.

I like the way they buckled up and played real hockey in Game 5 and then won it in Game 6.

The time off now isn't in the middle of a series, it's time to actually rest up and heal.

I read Simmonds is not healthy. That explains why in the last game he logged only 8 minutes and change. Not sure wherr he got injured, but i noticed he just didn't look healthy in several shifts he took on Sunday.

I read Simmonds is not healthy. That explains why in the last game he logged only 8 minutes and change. Not sure wherr he got injured, but i noticed he just didn't look healthy in several shifts he took on Sunday.

Link? He took a regular power play shift but the Read, Simmonds, JvR line was used sparingly. Read had 11 minutes, Simmonds, less than 9 and JvR (understandably) under 7. Read and Simmonds usually play more than 15 minutes a game, so something is going on with those two.

Link? He took a regular power play shift but the Read, Simmonds, JvR line was used sparingly. Read had 11 minutes, Simmonds, less than 9 and JvR (understandably) under 7. Read and Simmonds usually play more than 15 minutes a game, so something is going on with those two.

I think what was going on was Malkin playing almost 28 minutes and Crosby playing 25. Matching Couturier and Giroux against those two doesn't leave a lot of time for the other guys.

I think what was going on was Malkin playing almost 28 minutes and Crosby playing 25. Matching Couturier and Giroux against those two doesn't leave a lot of time for the other guys.

Good one.

I watched the recording of the game later in the day and had looked at the stats before hand. I was surprised that their TOI's were so low and figured both had been injured at some point...until I saw the game and thought both looked completely normal. I hope you've explained the light minutes and that they are both healthy.

The big thing to look at is that they took they're normal shifts on the PP and, in the case of Read, on the PK. Jake needed to move up, so Simmonds got slid down. There's just not enough ice to go around for everyone right now.

The big thing to look at is that they took they're normal shifts on the PP and, in the case of Read, on the PK. Jake needed to move up, so Simmonds got slid down. There's just not enough ice to go around for everyone right now.

Competition for minutes in the playoffs....sounds like a healthy situation to me. Someone on here was saying that Voracek needed to move up and Lavy agreed. I have to find that thread and congratulate whoever that was.

What's also key: 21:33, 21:21, 5:19, 22:48, 25:01, 15:44 - Timonen not playing half of every game is huge. He's gotten worn down in the past, notably in the 2010 cup run where Laviolette couldn't use his 3rd pairing without giving up a goal. with Grossmann, Carle, and Coburn playing big minutes, it's relieved some of the pressure to overuse Timonen, which may keep him fresh.

What's also key: 21:33, 21:21, 5:19, 22:48, 25:01, 15:44 - Timonen not playing half of every game is huge. He's gotten worn down in the past, notably in the 2010 cup run where Laviolette couldn't use his 3rd pairing without giving up a goal. with Grossmann, Carle, and Coburn playing big minutes, it's relieved some of the pressure to overuse Timonen, which may keep him fresh.

Carle/Kimmo

Coby/Gross

Mezz/Kubina/Gus/Lilja/Bourdon????

Deepest blueline this club has had in 25+ years!!!!!!!!!

If only Prongs could be added to that group..amazing!!!