Nickelback having some fun with the Philadelphia Flyers - 4-24-12

Guest Irishjim

And for all the music snobs here i have this to say, Lighten the f up... .

Are you talking to me? I hope so.

I grew up listening to Bob Seger- and lots worse - but I had the good sense to be able to sort crap from non-crap. And Nickleback is crap. Crap is crap is crap.

The burden of proof lies with you, not with the snobs.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

Ya nothing to do with hating what's popular, it's hating sh*tty contrived soulless garbage that's written for the sole purpose of having the next top 40 psuedo rock hit. My wife wanted to go see Nickelback a few years ago so I took her. I tried to keep an open mind, but their live performance was as uninspired as their recordings. My exact words were "I don't believe a thing they just said".

I can at least respect something that I don't like when the artist is genuine. These guys are as fake as they come.

people have their reasons for not liking music, bands et al. ... any type of art really, and that is their own personal preference. if you feel that nickelback is soulless garbage then that's fine. To sit in judgement of someone else because they like a band, went to a show because they had an opportunity...is petty and self aggrandizing in my opinion.

sadly other than saying that nickelback writes decent hooks in 4/4 and says what they want in 3:30 is as far as my preferences will let me praise them, So i am not a huge fan, but if someone says to me " you should hear this song it's awesome", i'll listen with an open mind.even if it is from a band i don't care for, i missed out on too much of the good stuff from my own knee jerk reaction to accessibility and popularity.

i didn't like that people were calling into the radio station to rag on some guys for having a good time at a concert that they were probably comped for, and that was the true origin of my rant. Using Tool in the example was probably not the wisest either. :rolleyes:

Edited by mojo1917

@mojo1917

Well I don't think I'd call a radio station to rag on Hartnell and whoever else was there....but in the 90s Lindros was backstage hanging with Metallica, let's just say that was a lot easier for me to get excited about :) Music is a highly personal thing, people tend to feel strongly about their likes and dislikes. My wife calls me a music elitist, says that not everybody cares about whether an artist is technically proficient or can even play an instrument or sing a song that wasn't written by someone else. She's not wrong. But I wish they did in the same way I wish fringe hockey fans appreciated the heart of the 4th line grinder over the star appeal of the overpaid 40 goal scorer.

As far as Tool, I do enjoy the complexity of their arrangements, and they absolutely pull it off live. I think for the most part their songs that have gotten airplay are far inferior to most of the rest of their material.

As far as Tool, I do enjoy the complexity of their arrangements, and they absolutely pull it off live. I think for the most part their songs that have gotten airplay are far inferior to most of the rest of their material.

@sarsippius

That's pretty much because Tool's label "made" them write atleast a song or two that can considered somewhat radio-ready -- and ironically, their hits are what most of the meat-head college rock crowd grew up knowing, while you and I probably both prefer their more obscure songs.......but, there was a story about them turning in their follow up the their classic "Aenima" to their record company...... it was bascially 3 songs totalling @ 74min.... they laughed at them and told them to take it back! re-do it and make it into real "songs"! lol

@sarsippius

Forty Six and 2 may be my favorite "hit" of theirs..... Prison Sex was a good one back in the day, too.

Saw them at Lollapolooza back in '93 w/ Rage, Alice In Chains, Primus, etc (great show!) and the Troc in early '94..... cant believe I've been listening to these

guys for almost 20 years!!! Dam, that's scary.

@NJSikkbreed

Wow 93-94 the early Tool days, very nice, plus Rage and Alice that's a great bill.

My first live Tool experience was Ozzfest, I believe it was '98.....when it was still a good festival before Sharon started booking acts less likely to blow her husband off the stage.

aeniema is still my favorite record, love stink fist and eulogy....10000 days was good but it made me angry to listen to it ; they're pretty powerful that way , jambi (love that solo)

i think was my favorite song on that one, missed latreralus and never bought it on my brother's recommendation. as i got older my attention span has grown shorter for music that i must listen actively too, and tool falls into that category.

10,000 Days is dark even by Tool standards, but what an amazing album. Jambi live, man the beginning of the song I can still feel the bass and drums shaking my entire being. IMO Wings for Marie is their most lyrically powerful song, with the possible exception of Lateralus