Updated: No disciplinary action for Bourdon

Guest hf101

I think Bourdon will receive a call today from Shanahan for his hit on Gerbe. This was a dumb decision on Bourdon's part, it could easily have been avoided. I guess it would be a maximum of 2 games, if that.

Other than this, I think Bourdon has been solid for the Flyers since being called up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Gerbe-boarded-Read-elbowed-to-head-susp?urn=nhl-wp19303

tough way to start in the league for sure, first 2 weeks and you get suspended for 2 games...he'll have to be careful. agreed that it was stupid to follow through on that hit, when you can read a guy's name you probably should try to let up ...

that said the pu-pu platter of rookie d-men looked pretty good last night, they looked better than christian erhoff that's for sure, wow was he brutal.

He looked good in the fight though. He knew it was coming.

But for the hit, sheesh... Gerbe saw him coming and had plenty of time to, you know, actually face him to avoid getting hurt, but instead deliberately turns his back to Bourdon. MAB might get suspended, but now Gerbe is hurt.

Stupid.

Bourdon probably will get 1-2 games, but what about Leino? He threw an obvious elbow that looked like it barely connected but stunned Read a little bit. The intent was definately there.Even Flyer hater Eddie O on versus felt that should absolutely be a suspenson.

But for the hit, sheesh... Gerbe saw him coming and had plenty of time to, you know, actually face him to avoid getting hurt, but instead deliberately turns his back to Bourdon. MAB might get suspended, but now Gerbe is hurt.

Stupid.

I totally agree. That hit along the boards that Bourdon was making 9/10 times goes without a penalty because the player accepts the fact that he is going to get hit and prepares himself to brace the hit. Turning your back to the player hoping that he is going to stop after he has already made the determination that he is going to hit you is unacceptable and the person making the hit should not be punished IMO.

I think Bourdon will receive a call today from Shanahan for his hit on Gerbe. This was a dumb decision on Bourdon's part, it could easily have been avoided. I guess it would be a maximum of 2 games, if that.

Other than this, I think Bourdon has been solid for the Flyers since being called up.

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp19303

I think Shanahan has been pretty fair in his evaluation of incidents, and it seemed clear to me that Gerbe turned into the boards after Bourdon was committed to the hit. I predict no suspension or fine.

Gerbe absolutely knew that Bourdon was coming. He INTENTIONALLY kept his back turned to avoid the hit. The fact of the matter is Bourdon still hit him and should not have. If Gerbe is not playing with the skate cut injury from his own team mate, this would have been a minor penalty at best. If he played for Boston, this is a non issue but because he is a Flyer, he will probably get 2 games even though he only deserves a warning. Intent to injure, not even close. Record of dirty/cheap hits, nope. Young guy in the league who Shanahan wants to send a message to, you bet cha sweet ass............

Gerbe absolutely knew that Bourdon was coming. He INTENTIONALLY kept his back turned to avoid the hit. The fact of the matter is Bourdon still hit him and should not have. If Gerbe is not playing with the skate cut injury from his own team mate, this would have been a minor penalty at best. If he played for Boston, this is a non issue but because he is a Flyer, he will probably get 2 games even though he only deserves a warning. Intent to injure, not even close. Record of dirty/cheap hits, nope. Young guy in the league who Shanahan wants to send a message to, you bet cha sweet ass............

Can we set up a pickem? I bet no suspension or I pick the under (o/u = 1.9 games).

Stupid.

exactly, just as many of us predicted, players are now using the "face the boards at the last second" move to put the responsibility on the CHECKER to stop, instead of avoiding or taking the hit. It's just getting ridiculous.

Bourdon probably will get 1-2 games, but what about Leino? He threw an obvious elbow that looked like it barely connected but stunned Read a little bit. The intent was definately there.Even Flyer hater Eddie O on versus felt that should absolutely be a suspenson.

I caught that part too, i was surprised Eddie O thought a suspension was warranted, I was expecting them to just sweep it under the rug

Prior to this year, that hit wouldn't be a suspendable offense. It probably wouldn't be a penalty because it was on the boards and not the few feet away that defined the boarding call. Gerbe HAS to take some responsibility for deliberately putting himself in that position. He looks over his shoulder prior to playing the puck and STILL puts his nose to the glass.

No suspension was talked about for any of the Ducks that crosschecked several Flyers face first in the boards last weekend, and each of them was arguably as bad as or worse than this.

Bourdon got his penalty, got his fight (which I thought he earned the decision) sat down and felt shame. Done deal.

Stupid.

What really steamed me about this was when watching the replay, Edzo starts saying what a smart move it was on Gerbe's part! Yeah, so smart that Grebe may have a concussion from his own stupid actions. This is not letting Bourdon off the hook at all. He had time to pull off and not make that check, but for Gerbe look and then turn his back to the play is just stupid on his part. Getting plastered face first into the boards for a power play is not worth it. Either get ready to be hit or try to avoid the hit all together.

That little hobbit gets no sympathy from me...he knew what he was doing. Bourdon just should not have hit him...stupid decision.

UPDATE (2:00 PM EST): It appears the the most innocuous hit of Wednesday night's Flyers win in Buffalo is the one that caught the eye of Brendan Shanahan. Sabres forward Ville Leino, who scored just his third goal of the season against his former team, will have a disciplinary hearing this afternoon for his elbow to the head of Matt Read.

Leino was skated by Read when he stuck out his elbow and clocked Read in the head. Read barely flinched and kept skating. A 13-second clip of Leino's elbow

While it is a hit to the head, Leino's elbow seemed to pale in comparison to the damage done on Nathan Gerbe by Marc-Andre Bourdon's hit. In all likelyhood, Bourdon will not receive a hearing, since Shanahan would have already acted on it with Flyers playing tonight against Pittsburgh.

That means Bourdon is in the clear for tonight's lineup.

Shanahan saw the same thing we did.

But for the hit, sheesh... Gerbe saw him coming and had plenty of time to, you know, actually face him to avoid getting hurt, but instead deliberately turns his back to Bourdon.

this is precisely how I saw it. Unfortunate that he got hurt but a suspension should NOT be handed out because this is a perfect example of what the players shouldn't be doing according to the league. You knowingly put yourself into a vulnerable position and still expect the league to protect you. Protect yourself at all times. To me, seeing the hit coming and then positioning yourself to get boarded is ALMOST the same thing as diving and the league should consistently look at it like that as well. You want to protect these guys from injury but not when they try to exploit the system.

this is precisely how I saw it. Unfortunate that he got hurt but a suspension should NOT be handed out because this is a perfect example of what the players shouldn't be doing according to the league. You knowingly put yourself into a vulnerable position and still expect the league to protect you. Protect yourself at all times. To me, seeing the hit coming and then positioning yourself to get boarded is ALMOST the same thing as diving and the league should consistently look at it like that as well. You want to protect these guys from injury but not when they try to exploit the system.

Exactly. As @TedZep said, I guess Shanny saw the same thing we did, and more, because Leino had a hearing for his elbow to the head of Read.

Leino gets a one game suspension for his elbow to Read.

lol

That surprises me a little because of the fact that Read pretty much seemed to ignore the elbow. If intent is being used for suspensions, then Malkin's stick work on Giroux at the end of the game should be suspension worthy too......

Edited by flyerrod