Would you rather....

Guest trevluk

the Flyers had won the 2010 Stanley Cup against Chicago and now be saddled with the contracts of Richards and Carter for their duration and all the baggage that came with it, not to mention most likely still having Michael Leighton as our goaltender or.........

have no Stanley Cup in 2010 but have the team we have now for the next few years that has a legit shot at winning at least one Cup with a much better locker room environment and what seems to be much more balanced, cohesive team than we ever had while Richards and Carter were here?

I for one am so much happier with the team we have today than we did 2 years ago, and while I would have loved to won a Cup, I dont think I could have put up with the drama of having Richards and Carter "lead" this team for the next 7 years. Sometimes things happen for a reason and I think we are much better off now than we would have been if we had won a Cup 2 years ago.

• Like 1

Very good question.

I would have LOVED finally winning the Cup in 2010.

That having been said, it would have been a one & done situation. In other words, luck (so to speak) would have played a large part in winning it that year, and the idea that THAT particular Flyers team would have been thought of as a true perennial contender would have been a mirage.

THIS Flyers team may very well win the Cup this year, but they're only going to get better. This has the makings of a possible dynasty. This team could win a Cup or three.

This team is more likeable, and a better story, but how could you give up the chance for a guaranteed Cup? And as for this team possibly becoming a dynasty....it IS possible but it's a very short window with the salary cap in place. You've gotta pay these young guys soon, and when you do you're going to lose a few key components. Now if we slowly get rid of older handcuffing contracts (Pronger, Timo, Briere) and replace them with new contracts for the younger guys, we may have something.

That having been said, it would have been a one & done situation. In other words, luck (so to speak) would have played a large part in winning it that year, and the idea that THAT particular Flyers team would have been thought of as a true perennial contender would have been a mirage.

Great point. We would have a Cup, but would probably be a decade away from a chance to win another one.

I'll take the cup... Then still jettison Richards and Carter for an even bigger return since they are proven winners :)

HA! The game is called "would you rather" and that was not one of the 2 choices you were asked to choose from! (besides, we all know that if we had won the cup that year, no way was philly going to trade their cup winning captain and "sniper" before their NTC/NMC kicked in.)

Well.... we have the benefit of hindsight now but....

Don't get me wrong I am so happy with the current team. It has some parallels to my favorite teams of the mid 80s with lots of young guys, lots of heart and drive and that big likeability factor.

That being said right now in this very moment when we still don't have any Cups, I have to go with the "Bird in hand" of 2010 as we are not guaranteed any in the future. I was sure Dave Poulin and his boys had 1 or more in them only to be thwarted by one of the best teams in the world, the death of Pelle and Clarke's GM follies. I was sure Lindros had 1 in him only to be thwarted by concussions, Brodeur, clutch and grab era traps, Carl, Bonnie, and more Clarke follies. Opposing fans are using 1975 as a taunt now as we did to the Rangers fans with "1940 Forever".

As much as I am enjoying this team very much and look forward to potential cups with them, if you could have guaranteed 2010 I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

having the cup in 2010 would have been great.

i still think that homer jettisons carter regardless of that outcome, he has never been healthy in the playoffs and was not expanding his hockey iq. and i think homer values hockey iq, a lot, almost like he was brought up in the wings organization.

would richards freak out and demand a trade with no more buddies to chase poon and whiskey ? who knows. could be that we'd have both.

The Cup would have been the perfect ending to that 2010 run. Perfect. Still my favorite playoff push in recent memory. More smashing of the Habs, history will be made against the Bs, Lappy, Boosh, Gagne the Bear Slayer, injuries galore with next man up, etc. Yeah, I'm going to go Cup. Have they made a dvd/bluray set of that playoff run yet? I'd watch it again, except that last game...Michael ******* Leighton.

Plus, Carter would have been traded anyway.

Any choice that begins with you're giving me a Cup at any point in the past.....I don't care what the second choice is, I'll take the Cup. 74 and 75 are vague memories of a seven year old, how many trips to the Cup Semi-final since then? How many almosts? Yeah I'll take the Cup

the Flyers had won the 2010 Stanley Cup against Chicago and now be saddled with the contracts of Richards and Carter for their duration and all the baggage that came with it, not to mention most likely still having Michael Leighton as our goaltender or.........

have no Stanley Cup in 2010 but have the team we have now for the next few years that has a legit shot at winning at least one Cup with a much better locker room environment and what seems to be much more balanced, cohesive team than we ever had while Richards and Carter were here?

I for one am so much happier with the team we have today than we did 2 years ago, and while I would have loved to won a Cup, I dont think I could have put up with the drama of having Richards and Carter "lead" this team for the next 7 years. Sometimes things happen for a reason and I think we are much better off now than we would have been if we had won a Cup 2 years ago.

I'd rather had the cup win in 2010, not that I don't like this current team. We might have still have Leighton but on the brighter side the Flyers wouldn't have went out and signed Bryzgalov to the 9 year deal. And maybe Ed Snider would have retired into the sunset with the cup win. As for Richards and Carter, Holmgren would have probably traded Carter anyways.

The Cup would have been the perfect ending to that 2010 run. Perfect. Still my favorite playoff push in recent memory. More smashing of the Habs, history will be made against the Bs, Lappy, Boosh, Gagne the Bear Slayer, injuries galore with next man up, etc. Yeah, I'm going to go Cup. Have they made a dvd/bluray set of that playoff run yet? I'd watch it again, except that last game...Michael ******* Leighton.

Plus, Carter would have been traded anyway.

Speaking of him what is up is he done for the season?

If not, if L.A. could get him back in the lineup they might be favorites out West.

HA! The game is called "would you rather" and that was not one of the 2 choices you were asked to choose from! (besides, we all know that if we had won the cup that year, no way was philly going to trade their cup winning captain and "sniper" before their NTC/NMC kicked in.)

haha

Ok...Sekkes85 would RATHER take the cup... Then still jettison Richards and Carter for an even bigger return since they are proven winners

Speaking of him what is up is he done for the season?

If not, if L.A. could get him back in the lineup they might be favorites out West.

Concussion again, probably his last. Hope the Flyers organization can bring him back somehow. His experience from a heck of a professional career (Olympic and NHL), would be invaluable to young guys.