Ex Flyers Interesting Stats (Richards, Carter, Leino)

Guest Leach27

But what’s interesting though, most of neurologists will probably agree that having been concussed once increases your chances of being concussed again, when hit on the head.

and that's the thing. there is a ?% chance of any given person getting concussed by any given contact. that chance goes up by ?% after each successive concussion. so now, after his concussion, gagne has a ?% chance of getting another one. as opposed to, say, giroux, who has a ?% chance. ?% > ?%

you have those guys who obviously had problems following their concussions. those that didn't...well, they didn't. gagne has played in more than 200 NHL games since his concussion. he could have another one tonight, but it doesn't seem any more likely than anyone else. he has a ?% chance.

Not specifically responding to your point, but brain (or put more specifically, the entire Central Nervous System) is the least studied and understood part of a human body. One person can get pounded to the head and be perfectly fine with showing no recurring symptoms, while the other can be hit once and have serious post-hit issues. The other aspect - aside from re-occurrence - is an immediate response to a hit. As far as I know, Crosby has only had one concussion and see how long it takes him to recover. Scott Stevens has only been concussed once and it caused him to retire. Paul Karya, on the other hand, has been hit on the head multiple times, and, if I am not mistaken, he didn't stop playing specifically because of long-term effects of concussion. But what’s interesting though, most of neurologists will probably agree that having been concussed once increases your chances of being concussed again, when hit on the head.

My point is, it’s hard to make any conclusive statements or being predictive one way or the other. We can’t possibly predict how Gagne will react if/when hit hard again.

Great post! All I was trying to say is with gagne comes risk, because he has had documented head injuries. I wasn't trying to step on the toes on gagne fans!!

I always have and always will like Simon Gagne. I was pissed when he was basically let go but that was one of the hard decisions that Homer had to make (and the right one). I am in total agreement with not wanting him to get Lindrosed/Primeaued.

thats the main reason i didn't wand gagne back. don't get me wrong one of my favs but to risky when he is one hit from loonyville

Not specifically responding to your point, but brain (or put more specifically, the entire Central Nervous System) is the least studied and understood part of a human body. One person can get pounded to the head and be perfectly fine with showing no recurring symptoms, while the other can be hit once and have serious post-hit issues. The other aspect - aside from re-occurrence - is an immediate response to a hit. As far as I know, Crosby has only had one concussion and see how long it takes him to recover. Scott Stevens has only been concussed once and it caused him to retire. Paul Karya, on the other hand, has been hit on the head multiple times, and, if I am not mistaken, he didn't stop playing specifically because of long-term effects of concussion. But what’s interesting though, most of neurologists will probably agree that having been concussed once increases your chances of being concussed again, when hit on the head.

My point is, it’s hard to make any conclusive statements or being predictive one way or the other. We can’t possibly predict how Gagne will react if/when hit hard again.

I've been reading some pretty interesting articles lately about doctors who are studying the brains of deceased NFL players, wrestlers, and other athletes. One doctor in particular has noticed an anomaly on the brains that have been concussed a lot, and that is some blotching in a certain area that controls mood and behaviour. He claims causality between the hits to the head and the suicides of pro athletes (or the radical change in behaviours), but of course the NFL denies it. They have for a decade.

One study talks about the impact to the brain when hit head on by an NFL or hockey player. When you're in a fighter jet, I think you experience about 3 or 4 G, but the impact of an open ice hit is about 100 G. That's a lot of sloshing around in your head.

There's a very well-written and interesting article here, in GQ of all places!

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200909/nfl-players-brain-dementia-study-memory-concussions

Edited by brelic

In 31 games Carter (zero goals in 5 games), Richards (2 goals in 13 games) and Leino (zero goals in 5 games) have 3 goals in 31 games conbined. Meanwhile we are averaging 4 goals a game. Interesting huh?? Anyone still miss them?

http://www.philly.co...ndros-hand.html

Not at all. Not only are we not missing their stats but also some of the baggage associated with them. The team is playing well and perhaps more importantly playing as a team. The veterans are not only leading the rookies and young players but providing great examples for them. Pronger is the ultimate NHL warrior, future hall of famer, who plays every game hard, works out religiously and is totally committed. Jagr, aside from the success he's had this season is a workout demon. Young players see a shoo-in first time Hall of Fame guy like Jagr, at his age, getting the salary he is, getting his own set of keys to the practice facility to skate on off days, after games, etc. is a great thing for the young guys to see. Much better then losing a game and then going out and hitting the Center City bars.

"Leino is NOT a $4M forward. Carter is NOT the playmaking center Rick Nash has been waiting for. Richards was NOT ready to be an NHL captain."

What he said....and I'm scratching my head on Versteeg as well....he was useless for us which was a huge shock to me. I was pumped when we picked him up but I think he was a casualty of the circus we had going last year with Richards and Carter and the media and the coaches and pronger and......oh god. In hindsight, and the more i watch this team this year, this summer's moves may go down as some of the slickest and smartest moves in team history (okay...maybe thats pushing it..). EVERYONE was shocked but Holgrem made the right call.....a tough and risky call...but obviously the right one. Have fun in LA Richards.....Have fun watching Carter play cotton hockey and shooot wide Columbus, and Buffalo.....how's that 4million dollar man looking this year......People mistake chemistry and momentum (briere,leino, hartnell line last year) for actual skill......Leino is average at best in my book minus some flashes of brilliance while he's hogging the puck....

LETS GO FLYERS!!!!

LETS GO FLYERS!!!!

thats the main reason i didn't wand gagne back. don't get me wrong one of my favs but to risky when he is one hit from loonyville

Gagne is just a general injury risk. The guy just gets dinged up all the time. But, man when he's healthy.... Would love to have seen him back.

Well, we didn'y loose anything when we lost Versteeg because he really didn't do anything here.... Can't loose something you never had! :lol:

Sadly, we essentially traded our 2011 first rounder for a second rounder. Definitely a Homer blunder on that one. Not sure why he was so bad in Philly. He looked really lazy in his time here.

just following the "at the time" leadership core.

Pretty much.. but I remember thinking the same thing in his very first game. I told myself it would take 10-15 games for him to 'fit in' to our system, so I cut him some slack, but it never really happened.

I was pumped when we picked him up but I think he was a casualty of the circus we had going last year with Richards

I agree with you there, don't think anyone would've fit with Richards half assing his play during the 2nd half. Don't think Versteeg had a fair shake here but it's over with and i'm happy for Versteeg to be playing well. Hopefully not against us tomorrow night.

I agree with you there, don't think anyone would've fit with Richards half assing his play during the 2nd half. Don't think Versteeg had a fair shake here but it's over with and i'm happy for Versteeg to be playing well. Hopefully not against us tomorrow night.

well... and now that we know how 'mature' richards is, by all indications, it's not really a shock to think that they didn't accept a player from the team that ousted them from the stanley cup finals. in fact, that's when the **** really started to hit the fan... soon after he got here.

having said all that, i'm still in favor of homer's decision to jettison him. he needed to basically hit the reset button on this team and i, for one, and really glad he had the guts to do it.