Lets Not Get Carried Away...

Guest SoCalFlyfan

Rest, yes. Partying at Nickleback concerts... not so much. they need to keep their focus and their drive going. But I'm not worried about them going to a concert or anything like that, I'm just worried about momentum. The team definitely needed the time off for health reasons for sure. Could you imagine the layover if the Flyers swept the series?

Okay, so they cannot go to a concert? It is not like they are out on a M. Rich and J. Carter all night drunken romp.

Okay, so they cannot go to a concert? It is not like they are out on a M. Rich and J. Carter all night drunken romp.

haha, I brought that up because it was mentioned that they need rest. I actually did go on to say that "I'm not worried about them going to a concert"

@AJgoal

Really? I don't remember Jonesy doing that.....

I'm surprised I can't find video of it. In the infamous "no goal" series, Jonesy ran over Hasek twice, in two different games. Rumor has it that in one of the resulting scrums, he was choking Hasek, saying "I want this more than you." Of course, that is all hearsay and has never been confirmed...

• Like 1

Cmon'

Great series all around, but you guys are acting like beating the Pens is our 'Stanley Cup'.

...Now we have Giroux and Hartsy firing off T-shirt cannons at Nickleback concerts and Giroux being photoshopped as Jesus.

We can enjoy this a little but Lavi still needs to figure out how to beat a defensively sound team Like the Rangers, Bruins, Preds and Blues. Until then, I'm keeping a straight face...and not shaving my beard.

~SoCalflyfan

I get your point and I agree but on the other side I dont give a **** :D CARY ME AWAY!

Agreed. This is why hockey players invented, a long time ago, the patented run-the-goalie move. The move is best performed by a 4th liner/role player who doesn't mind getting his head bashed in and a stiff suspension.

Ryan Parent did it and he didn't get suspended. Oh, wait, he hurt his own team's goalie...nevermind.

Well okay, you "can't see 3, 4 goals against Lundqvist" (or Rinne, but that's practically 2 months away so I'll forget about Rinne for now). I can. By these Flyers no problem. I sure as hell don't see the Rags outscoring us! That's a laugh. Their "big-time" scorer has exactly ONE goal so far. One. Brad Richards has 5 points. Those are their leaders for crying out loud.

Obviously it won't be anything like playing the Wilted "Flower" but Lundqvist, like every goalie is beatable by sustained pressure. I think you're underestimating our offense; we can make plays that no goalie can defend - backdoor tap-ins, 2nd-effort garbage goals, odd-mans, heavy shots through screens etc.

People are making way too much of that "we don't match up well with them" crap. The Flyers in March were like a completely different team when they were getting the goaltending.

Anyway the Rangers are next round - if they make it out of the 1st round that is. I hope Ottawa flushes the Rangers tonight...2-1 in the 2nd after Alfie scores. Henrik was screened by his own D a bit but he didn't look so awesome on that goal.

fk the Rangers. Have some faith SoCal.

"Maybe going to hell in a bucket babe...least I'll enjoy the ride!"

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl as a starting QB. All he had to do was not turn the ball over / lose the game. Bryz needs to essentially do the same - don't lose the game. As good as Henrik is, I don't think he's going to be the wall he was during the season. Just a hunch.

I don't get it anyway - we're all watching the same POs... does it not suggest the Rags are Paper-Thin when the Ottawa Senators have taken them to Game 7?

The Senators suck. Every game I watch them their D turns the puck over so many times. Gonchar is toast, They've got Spezza and Alfredson, that's it. And a goalie who isn't losing games for them. And they are in G7 with the Mighty Rangers led by Lundqvist, who apparently isn't good enough to close out the series in anything less than 7 games....IF he can close it out tonight.

The Rangers should be feared? Don't make me laugh.

• Like 1

Okay...so the Rags squeaked by. Good for them. And Lundqvist came up big at the end of the game when Ottawa was pressing. The Rangers blocked a lot of shots, as usual...big deal.

Think of the difference in offense between Ottawa and the Flyers. I haven't seen the stats of G7 yet but the Sens must've turned the puck over 20 times. Then, in the final 10 they refused to chip the puck deep; they kept trying to carry through the Rags' defenders, invariably getting checked off the puck at the blue line; if they had more than 7 shots in the 3rd I'll be surprised.

Whatever. We're not playing the Rangers for awhile, if at all.

I think you guys will get past the Devils pretty easily, but I do thin kthe Rangers will be the toughest challenge for you. I've felt the Rangers outplayed their roster all year, and for some reason my Pens had their number. But at the same time, for some reason they had your number just like you guys had ours. Should prove an interesting series. Lundqvuist is a stellar goalie though, with solid fundamentals and fun to watch. I think he'll outplay bryz of Bob easily, so it's going to come down to whether or not your offense is good enough to get their defense off the game and win on oddman breaks and shots in close with little to no time to react. I'm hoping for this to be the conference final!

@canoli

On paper I'll take the Rangers goaltending, defense, and shot blocking over our 'offense'. Sorry.

However anything can happen as we all know. Each round is a new season.

Well that's certainly the conventional wisdom - and it's "conventional wisdom" for a good reason, because goaltending and Team D generally wins PO games.

but like Polaris just said if our 4 lines can attack consistently, make adjustments to avoid the shot-blockers, get Henrik moving side-to-side... if our PP keeps coming up huge...

All of this applies to the next series too of course. Brodeur looked pretty big last night for most of the game. And the Devils actually have more than 1 guy who can score goals. The 2nd round may be a little tougher than people think...But if we make it to the ECF and the Rags are our opponent I won't wave a white flag before the series begins. They're sound defensively all the time. But when we trot out our "A" game, which features exceptional Team D that's every bit as good as theirs, I think we beat any of the remaining EC teams.

Well that's certainly the conventional wisdom - and it's "conventional wisdom" for a good reason, because goaltending and Team D generally wins PO games.

but like Polaris just said if our 4 lines can attack consistently, make adjustments to avoid the shot-blockers, get Henrik moving side-to-side... if our PP keeps coming up huge...

All of this applies to the next series too of course. Brodeur looked pretty big last night for most of the game. And the Devils actually have more than 1 guy who can score goals. The 2nd round may be a little tougher than people think...But if we make it to the ECF and the Rags are our opponent I won't wave a white flag before the series begins. They're sound defensively all the time. But when we trot out our "A" game, which features exceptional Team D that's every bit as good as theirs, I think we beat any of the remaining EC teams.

Solid team defense depends on forwards not being too engaged on offense and getting caught out of position - this is our weakness IMO. When play goes the other way on an odd man break and you have Bryz back there it's not always the best situation. This is why the Rangers don't score a ton of goals - the forwards are never pressing to the point where they'll be out of position.

It's a gamble either way...score more goals or prevent goals... The Rangers are better at preventing goals and we are better scoring. However they have Lundkvist, and he can potentially stymie ANY offense.

I think you guys will get past the Devils pretty easily, but I do thin kthe Rangers will be the toughest challenge for you. I've felt the Rangers outplayed their roster all year, and for some reason my Pens had their number. But at the same time, for some reason they had your number just like you guys had ours. Should prove an interesting series. Lundqvuist is a stellar goalie though, with solid fundamentals and fun to watch. I think he'll outplay bryz of Bob easily, so it's going to come down to whether or not your offense is good enough to get their defense off the game and win on oddman breaks and shots in close with little to no time to react. I'm hoping for this to be the conference final!

The Devils barely got by the worst playoff team in recent memory.

Flyers in 5.

Yeah I'll cross that next hated rival bridge if we get to it....right now gotta beat the New York Devils...that's right I said New York, that team from North Jersey is just a Manhattan wannabee!

I don't get it anyway - we're all watching the same POs... does it not suggest the Rags are Paper-Thin when the Ottawa Senators have taken them to Game 7?

Not only the Senators have *taken* them to 7 games, but through the majority of the series, the Rangers looked quite hapless. My cousin lives in Bronx and has season tickets to the Rangers, and he is saying that team looks tired - mainly because Tort's system is relentless and is bound to take a toll on players sooner or later. He is telling me by the 3rd period, Ottawa looked like they play in the first period, while the Rangers look like a team who can't wait for the game to be over.

And let's remember that Ottawa is clearly the weakest team in these playoffs with no real goalie, no defense, and no names upfront except Jason Spezza and a 70-year old Alfie.

But let's take care of NJ first, which I really expect not to be a problem at all.

Edited by Mad Dog

SoCalFlyfan! Maybe you were right about this. Its seems like the flyers got carried away winning over the pens pretty simply. And now they doesnt reload för the devils. I see less threat from devils during the games still we play worse than against pens. When pens attacked us every dude on the ice played his best. When devs attacks every dude is giving 70%.

And what about the offensive play? When we pressure them I think devils make alot of misstakes... we have to keep up the pressure against them and NOT let them take control of the game.

I think we can win this serie if we play really hard in your face offensive hockey.

nice jinx @SoCalFlyfan

thanks... :rolleyes:

how about you keeping any more rays of sunshine to yourself... ( i jest )

actually i'm thinking the flyers shot the wad on the Pens series, guys are playing with concussions (grossmann), and bad backs (timmonen), big swollen knees, (hartnell) and now jmdodgerts is saying G has a groing pull..... i think that Pens series really took a toll on the flyers health, as well as most of their emotional capital.

nice jinx @SoCalFlyfan

actually i'm thinking the flyers shot the wad on the Pens series, guys are playing with concussions (grossmann), and bad backs (timmonen), big swollen knees, (hartnell) and now jmdodgerts is saying G has a groing pull..... i think that Pens series really took a toll on the flyers health, as well as most of their emotional capital.

Yeah, we have a huge amount of walking wounded. Plus, that week off was a killer. Logically it should help the wounded but it was huge momentum killer. Look at the Devils, no time off and they were coming of a 2 or 3 ot win and have not really missed a beat. Besides, when I have a muscle pull or such, if I dont use the leg/arm it seizes up vs if I keep pushing it sometimes hurts but stays loose. That week killed us mentally and physicaly and yes, pardon the term, but we shot our wad against the penguins. We'll see if have some more jam in the jar tomorrow...

And what about the offensive play? When we pressure them I think devils make alot of misstakes... we have to keep up the pressure against them and NOT let them take control of the game.

The Devils seem confident but are a fragile team. A 100% full attack and forecheck would crack them like a peanut! Do the Flyers have it in them?

SoCalFlyfan! Maybe you were right about this. Its seems like the flyers got carried away winning over the pens pretty simply. And now they doesnt reload för the devils. I see less threat from devils during the games still we play worse than against pens. When pens attacked us every dude on the ice played his best. When devs attacks every dude is giving 70%.

I think we can win this serie if we play really hard in your face offensive hockey.

Round 1 was our 'Cup' from the fans and (now it looks evident) team's perspective.

This is not over yet, but i do not like the body language i see out there and find it ironic tha Jersey is beating us with a 'mucking' mentality in the corners.

nice jinx @SoCalFlyfan

You can blame their play on all those things, but I blame Nickleback.

Cmon'

Great series all around, but you guys are acting like beating the Pens is our 'Stanley Cup'.

...Now we have Giroux and Hartsy firing off T-shirt cannons at Nickleback concerts and Giroux being photoshopped as Jesus.

We can enjoy this a little but Lavi still needs to figure out how to beat a defensively sound team Like the Rangers, Bruins, Preds and Blues. Until then, I'm keeping a straight face...and not shaving my beard.

~SoCalflyfan

This is just what happened to Rocky Balboa when he lost to Clubber Lang the first time in Rocky III. He got complacent, cocky, gimmicky. Where's Apollo Creed when you need him??? We need to get this team back in shape. This movie, er series, can still end well. We just need to get back to our game, get back to the basics.

Apollo Creed: See that look in their eyes, Rock? You gotta get that look back, Rock. Eye of the tiger, man.