Update: Leino gets one game for hit on Read

Guest FlyersFan4Life

@FlyersFan4Life

Leino caught him with the bony part of his elbow as they were skating in opposite directions near the blue line they were going pretty fast and Leino gave him a Steckel right in the mush. it was a stupid play to make, far more stupid imo than bourdin's hit on gerbe. read was dazed i'm not sure where on his face he got hit but he returned to the game and played well.

No injury to Read so probably no suspension but I am sure it will be sighted if he has any more plays similar to that one. If he had followed through with that elbow it would be a different story as opposed to just brushing him like he did.

Bourdon's was a hockey play, a check that in years past wouldn't even have warranted a penalty, let alone consideration of a suspension. Leino's elbow to the chops was basically a Matt Cooke like assault, with absolutely no place in the NHL at any time in history.

No injury to Read so probably no suspension but I am sure it will be sighted if he has any more plays similar to that one. If he had followed through with that elbow it would be a different story as opposed to just brushing him like he did.

There will definitely be a suspension. This is the exact thing that they started all this for. If they don't suspend him for that blatant headshot, they are a bigger joke than we though. For fuck sake, they suspended a Dallas player for barely leaving his feet on a hit.

Edited by Flyguys03

Really sick of only suspended or in this case even calling a penalty if there is an injury. If this type of disciplinary mindset keeps up the great sport of hockey is going to turn into Soccer. I really don't want to see all the embellishments and nonsense brought into this sport. Unfortunately until they start punishing based on the act or intent instead of the result, it is bound to happen.

@sekke85

Are you talking about Gerbe or Read ?

I can see your point to a point with regard to bourdon's hit on gerbe, nate did turn away from the contact and left himself defenseless which wasn't smart, and bourdon answered for the hit. that was the by product of a physical hockey play.

the shot on Read was not a by product of physical play, it was a cheap shot plain and simple I'm fine with playing the game physically, taking the body , even some of the nasty after the whistle face washes and other activities are okay by me if a punk has it coming... but in my view Leinio is the guy in need of the face wash cause that hit was the act of a punk.

Edited by mojo1917

I agree it's sort of stupid to base the discipline on how bad the player gets injured. OTOH you kind of have to take it into account don't you? Luckily Leino didn't catch him with a good one or Read would've been lights-out. But who knows, maybe Ville knew exactly what he was doing - he wanted to knock him but not knock him out. We'll never know.

That said, 1 game is a joke. It's a rest, and probably welcome by the player. Maybe not in Leino's case because he's had a horrible year so far; the last thing he needs is to be out of the lineup. But blatant attempts at head injuries should be discouraged by heavy - HEAVY - sanction. 5-games minimum. They say they want to get serious about protecting players' brains, that's the way to do it. Make the justice so harsh that guys just stop bothering throwing elbows to the head.

I wish Malkinstein would have to sit for 5 games over that punk move he made tonight, but since Giroux ducked in time they won't even look at it. But it sure looked like Malkin was trying to take Giroux's head off.