Giroux snubbed on Hart Trophy

Guest brelic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394402

NEW YORK -- Tampa Bay sniper Steven Stamkos, New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist and Pittsburgh Penguins centre Evgeni Malkin have been named finalists for the Hart Trophy.

The award is given annually to the NHL's most valuable player.

The winner will be announced June 20 at the NHL awards banquet in Las Vegas. It is decided in voting conducted by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

Stamkos became the first player to score 60 goals in a season since 2007-'08 when Washington's Alex Ovechkin had 65. The 22-year-old finished with 60 goals and 37 assists, scored an NHL-record five overtime goals and had a league-high 48 even-strength goals, the most of any player since 1992-'93.

Lundqvist led New York to the top of the Eastern Conference standings with a 39-18-5 record in 62 appearances. The 39 regular-season wins were a career high and Lundqvist also finished tied for third overall in shutouts shutouts (eight), fourth in goals-against average (1.97) and save percentage (.930).

Lundqvist is also a finalist for the Vezina Trophy, given annually to the NHL's top goaltender.

Malkin captured his second career Art Ross Trophy as the league's scoring leader with 109 points (50 goals, 59 assists). He also finished second in the NHL with a career-high 50 goals and took a league-high 339 shots on goal.

Malkin is a Hart finalist for the third time, having finished second to Ovechkin in 2008 and 2009.

Pretty hard to argue against any of those guys (G'roo isnt as much a shoot-first player as the other 2 and had some slow stretches that cost him a bit in pt totals)..... but, hopefully Girox will get the award everyone really wants....being the MVP for the Stanley Cup winning team...

NEW YORK -- Tampa Bay sniper Steven Stamkos, New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist and Pittsburgh Penguins centre Evgeni Malkin have been named finalists for the Hart Trophy.

The winner will be announced June 20 at the NHL awards banquet in Las Vegas. It is decided in voting conducted by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

Stamkos became the first player to score 60 goals in a season since 2007-'08 when Washington's Alex Ovechkin had 65. The 22-year-old finished with 60 goals and 37 assists, scored an NHL-record five overtime goals and had a league-high 48 even-strength goals, the most of any player since 1992-'93.

Lundqvist led New York to the top of the Eastern Conference standings with a 39-18-5 record in 62 appearances. The 39 regular-season wins were a career high and Lundqvist also finished tied for third overall in shutouts shutouts (eight), fourth in goals-against average (1.97) and save percentage (.930).

Lundqvist is also a finalist for the Vezina Trophy, given annually to the NHL's top goaltender.

Malkin captured his second career Art Ross Trophy as the league's scoring leader with 109 points (50 goals, 59 assists). He also finished second in the NHL with a career-high 50 goals and took a league-high 339 shots on goal.

Malkin is a Hart finalist for the third time, having finished second to Ovechkin in 2008 and 2009.

Of course. It's common knowledge that signing with the Flyers is automatic forfiture of individual awards. Everyone knows that. The Matt Read omission was even more shocking to me.

• Like 1

Pretty hard to argue against any of those guys (G'roo isnt as much a shoot-first player as the other 2 and had some slow stretches that cost him a bit in pt totals)..... but, hopefully Girox will get the award everyone really wants....being the MVP for the Stanley Cup winning team...

Agreed. Those 3 teams would have been no where without those 3 guys. While Roo is immensely important and could be considered for an MVP, I don think the Flyers success this year relied primarily on him.

I'm sure he would MUCH MUCH rather have the Conn Smythe and the big silver cup that (usually) comes with it.

@brelic

As another poster said, hard to argue with these picks. There's no question in my mind that Lundqvist deserves it on the merits but they seldom give it to goaltenders. Without him, the Rangers are nowhere near as tough an opponent, would probably not have finished first in the East almost certainly would not have advanced beyond the first round.

@brelic

As another poster said, hard to argue with these picks. There's no question in my mind that Lundqvist deserves it on the merits but they seldom give it to goaltenders. Without him, the Rangers are nowhere near as tough an opponent, would probably not have finished first in the East almost certainly would not have advanced beyond the first round.

You're right, it is hard to argue with those picks... still would have been nice to see one of our guys get some recognition for how well they've done this year (Giroux, Read, Homer).

You could easily make the case for Quick rather than Lundqvist. Without Quick the Kings are nowhere near the playoffs, his stats are better and his D-men block half the shots that Lundvist's D-men do.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure Stamkos deserved the honor this year......his team didn't even make the playoffs, so he led his team to what? The golf course? He only has 4 pts more than Giroux... wow, big whoop.

sorry, but I'm not impressed

I'm not so sure Stamkos deserved the honor this year......his team didn't even make the playoffs, so he led his team to what? The golf course? He only has 4 pts more than Giroux... wow, big whoop.

What, you expect him to stop the puck as well? If TB had anything resembling a goalie they prolly would have made the playoffs....

because the vezina won't be enough for henry?

I couldn't agree with this more. A nominee for the "Most Valuable Player"'s team didn't even make the playoffs.

How valuable is that!?!?

with out Lunqvist, that team is middle of the pack NJ Devils ...

he is the reason they're the chalk. the rest of those guys are nice players but he is why they win.

can't argue with Malkin or Stamkos either

Malkin was a beast this year, and Stamkos scored 60 on an awful tampa team, he had good line mates but that kid has the touch.

i agree with all those who say it would be nice for Orange Jesus to win the conn smythe and the other trophy just to spite the league.

can't argue with Malkin or Stamkos either

Malkin was a beast this year, and Stamkos scored 60 on an awful tampa team, he had good line mates but that kid has the touch.

This is why they have the Richard Trophy. Scoring goals on a horrible team has it's Trophy. Scoring 60 on a team that didn't make the playoffs isn't all that valuable. Ask Rick Nash about scoring for woeful teams.

This isn't taking anything away from Stamkos' achievement, it's just not Hart Trophy worthy.

because the vezina won't be enough for henry?

I think both Rinne and Quick will give Lundqvist a run for the vezina, out of the three I think Quick deserves it the most but probably won't get it. As for Giroux, like others have said he'd be quite happy receiving the playoff mvp, the Conn Smythe and the big silver cup to drink out of. Hopefully they send Brodeur into retirement in this round.

@brelic

Here are my thoughts on this:

1) Goalies already have an MVP award, its called the Vezina. In that vein, it seems silly that they should be in the conversation for the hart trophy.

2) I always thought the Hart trophy was representative of the player who was most valuable to his team AND made others on his team better.

As much as Stamkos is perhaps the purest sniper that we have seen in two - three decades, he is just that. He is not very defensive, plays the third paying PK (30 seconds a game) mostly to take advantage of short handed opportunities. He is second to third option on key faceoffs and his 45% success rate is very pedestrian.

He does not make his other line mates better. What he is is a guy who can flat out shoot.

That to me is not really hart material.

Especially when looking at Malkin and Giroux.