Game #1

Guest AndyS

there is no answer on the devils for JvR.

if that kid can stay healthy, I will really start to like our chances, he looked fast and comfortable today... dare i say dangerous.

everything i've read about him said he was looking to be a leader this year, well his body didn't help him much there, i suspect shortly there will be no more questions about his motor or desire.

now bryzgalov, has to be a little better than he was on that goal by sykora, he was pretty good in the first period though , kept the flyers in the game when the devils were buzzing, so aziz says they were easy saves... he had to make a poop pile of them, lots of them were very quick shots that he needed to be in a good position for, i think this team can score 4 goals on anyone the way they're going, if he only lets in three i'm good with that.

any win in the tournament is a good win.

@mojo1917

I agree with aziz. Bryz didn't have to be great in the 1st period- he just had to play like an NHL goalie...which he did. Then he looked like a backup on the 2nd goal, and a beer league backup on the 3rd.

JVR looked like he was getting back into game shape, and actually wanted to play. This is good news. Same ol Briere and Giroux. And Voracek has become a key player, even though he turned over the tying goal, it never should have been a goal against a real goalie.

@flyercanuck

have our expectations become so low for bryz to the point where if he plays like a bottom tier goalie we're happy ? regardless, all he needs to do is let in one less than the guy at the other end of the rink and if as we play into the tournament that means incremental gains then so be it.

that sykora goal was atrocious.

and i agree about Voras, what a pleasant surprise he's been, i reckon he just need a change of scenery and some guys with his skill level to play with...he's like a jagr lite , but with better backchecking

I don't actually think JVR played that well, to be honest. Sure he scored (empty netter) and had a couple drives to the net, including the breakaway. And he screened Marty B on the OT winner. But that's about it. It does look like he is still getting into game shape, as he looked a bit dopey out there (ok, they all did for much of the game).

Anyway, not to be negative, but he can play a lot better than that. Which is a good thing I guess.

He pressured their D every time he was on the ice

That's just simply not true. He, like all the other Flyers, did none of that in the 1st, little in the 2nd and, finally, some in the 3rd.

I just thought he looked sluggish, but I'm biased, so just ignore me. I've been reading too many posts from@flyercanuck. He practically hates JVR

I don't actually think JVR played that well, to be honest. Sure he scored (empty netter) and had a couple drives to the net, including the breakaway. And he screened Marty B on the OT winner. But that's about it. It does look like he is still getting into game shape, as he looked a bit dopey out there (ok, they all did for much of the game).

Anyway, not to be negative, but he can play a lot better than that. Which is a good thing I guess.

He still plays a bit soft, but his speed out there was a big difference yesterday.

Would love to see a line with him & Wellwood. That would be fun - like a track meet.

• Like 1

Bryz should have stopped that last one. Bad goal.

Time for the G-line to step up & win it in OT.

Let's go Flyers!

I thought all 3 goals were bad and should have been stopped by Bryz, luckily the offence bailed him out again..but he really needs to play better if were going to distance this year..

usually I agree with you but I have to respectfully disagree on this one..JVR really stood out in this game, driving the net and generating scoring chances..if he gets on fire with Briere watch out..

That's just simply not true. He, like all the other Flyers, did none of that in the 1st, little in the 2nd and, finally, some in the 3rd.

I just thought he looked sluggish, but I'm biased, so just ignore me. I've been reading too many posts from@flyercanuck. He practically hates JVR

Speaking as a JVR fanboy, I tend to agree. He doesn't look like he quite has his legs back, but he's getting there. He looked much better yesterday than in game 6 against the Pens. I think it's just a matter of getting back into game shape (mentally as well as physically), which should happen over the course of this series.

@JackStraw

@orange_crush

I think this is a case of expectations of JVR being so low that anything he does that is positive means he "had a great game"

Now that expectations have been raised back to normal, we'll see how he does.

He was named the game's 2nd star, and led the team with a +3. So I think that at least qualifies as a "pretty darn good game".

• Like 1

@brelic

Schenn played less than 10 min. but didn't seem to be hurt or benched. Just the odd man out I guess

But yeah, those were the lines. The decline in TOI for Schenn appears to be losing his PP spot to JVR (which I think is a mistake)

Edited by Podein25