How Long do they wait for Bryz in this series?

Guest AMMOnation

You have to ask this question, Bryz gave up 2 softies today, and we all know about his play against the Penguins.

How much rope does he have left? If this series gets to say 6-7 games with his questionable play, does Lavy go to BOB?

Bob can be undressed up high, but he will make the basic saves that Bryz isn't making.

The Devils' second goal wasn't too weak. Bryz could have stopped it but it was a point blank shot in front of the net. Kind of weak, but I'm not faulting Bryz too much. The third one though...well yeah. I think he stays if they're winning. He was solid and weak today.

You have to ask this question, Bryz gave up 2 softies today, and we all know about his play against the Penguins.

How much rope does he have left? If this series gets to say 6-7 games with his questionable play, does Lavy go to BOB?

Bob can be undressed up high, but he will make the basic saves that Bryz isn't making.

Bryz flat out saved the team's bacon in the first period. The Flyers could easily have been down by four instead of one. I thought the only soft one was the third. And some poor decision making at the other end contributed to that as well. Bryz has not been a problem so far in these playoffs.

• Like 2

Bryz flat out saved the team's bacon in the first period. The Flyers could easily have been down by four instead of one

That's exactly what I thought. The goalie's job is to keep you in the game. Bryz did just that in the first period. Brodeur is (I think), a better playoff goalie than Bryz. But, the Flyers as a whole, are a better team than the Devils. Flyers don't need a stand on his head goalie to win. Brodeur might steal a game or two, but Flyers will win this series.

That's exactly what I thought. The goalie's job is to keep you in the game. Bryz did just that in the first period. Brodeur is (I think), a better playoff goalie than Bryz. But, the Flyers as a whole, are a better team than the Devils. Flyers don't need a stand on his head goalie to win. Brodeur might steal a game or two, but Flyers will win this series.

Great minds think alike. Fortunately for us, mediocre minds do too...

Bryz flat out saved the team's bacon in the first period. The Flyers could easily have been down by four instead of one. I thought the only soft one was the third. And some poor decision making at the other end contributed to that as well. Bryz has not been a problem so far in these playoffs.

really think so? looked like a lot of fairly routine stuff, personally. pucks into his body. credit to him for holding onto them, but it isn't like he was spreading out tracking down pucks labeled for the corners or shutting down taps ins at the far post.

and then the three that got through him...got right through him. again, not sniper shots that beat him with amazing precision or wonderfully crafted scoring chances that gave him no chance. each were shots right into him that leaked through. there were definitely defensive breakdowns that led to a couple of them, but the devils did a poor job capitalizing...except they scored. parise wasted that turnover pass from elias by putting the puck right into bryzgalov. but he scored on it anyway.

the flyers' offense compensated, and i think they can probably keep doing that. through this series, anyway. still am having trouble giving bryzgalov a lot of credit for the outcomes, though.

really think so? looked like a lot of fairly routine stuff, personally. pucks into his body. credit to him for holding onto them, but it isn't like he was spreading out tracking down pucks labeled for the corners or shutting down taps ins at the far post.

and then the three that got through him...got right through him. again, not sniper shots that beat him with amazing precision or wonderfully crafted scoring chances that gave him no chance. each were shots right into him that leaked through. there were definitely defensive breakdowns that led to a couple of them, but the devils did a poor job capitalizing...except they scored. parise wasted that turnover pass from elias by putting the puck right into bryzgalov. but he scored on it anyway.

the flyers' offense compensated, and i think they can probably keep doing that. through this series, anyway. still am having trouble giving bryzgalov a lot of credit for the outcomes, though.

I'm going to call game 1 a team win, then.

Agreed, yet somehow that's an improvement.

well, he did hold onto some shots that i thought were gonna pop loose. so there is that. and he didn't wiff on any shots from 60 feet, so there's that, too. so, yeah, an improvement.

plus, the .884sv% and 2.79gaa today actually is an improvement on last series. so everything is coming up roses, really.

Yes, I do think so. There were several BAD turnovers deep in the zone that resulted in good scoring chances. They weren't the sensational, tip of the toe kind of saves, but they were the kind of saves where if the goalie is not locked in and sharp there is going to be a puck into an open net. Bryz was right on top of those. When a goalie is tracking the play and getting pucks in his chest, he's playing well. You've played goal I believe, so I'm sure you know that. That's "good Bryz". "Bad Bryz" is not focused and giving up those easy goals. I don't care if he's not "great Bryz", like blocker says, he shouldn't have to be. Quick has to be great because his team can't score. Bryz just needs to give the team a chance to win. So far in the playoffs, even with the occasional soft goal (which happens to pretty much every goalie), Bryz has not looked like the "atrocious Bryz" that he was earlier in the year. As long as I don't see that Bryz I'm happy.

they were the kind of saves where if the goalie is not locked in and sharp there is going to be a puck into an open net. Bryz was right on top of those. When a goalie is tracking the play and getting pucks in his chest, he's playing well.

ok, true. to some extent. it means his angles are on and he's tracking the play well. those are big parts of goaltending, i agree. there are other parts, though, and three pucks that shouldn't have gone in, did. if giroux hits the crossbar on that PP goal, three dribblers win the game for the debbies. the margin should not have been that tight, the devils did not earn three goals. in fact, they got killed most of the game, except pucks on goal against the flyers had a better than 10% chance of going in. beyond the shot totals overall, they didn't manage a single shot on goal that should have beaten an NHL goalie. and yet put 3 on the board.

i agree, so long as he doesn't start letting wristers from the blueline in again, the flyers are probably ok. "kinda bad" goaltending will likely be good enough to get past new jersey, and it's definitely a step up from the "really bad" that the flyers had through most of the season and half of the penguins' series. that doesn't mean i'm thrilled about it, though.

ok, true. to some extent. it means his angles are on and he's tracking the play well. those are big parts of goaltending, i agree. there are other parts, though, and three pucks that shouldn't have gone in, did. if giroux hits the crossbar on that PP goal, three dribblers win the game for the debbies. the margin should not have been that tight, the devils did not earn three goals. in fact, they got killed most of the game, except pucks on goal against the flyers had a better than 10% chance of going in. beyond the shot totals overall, they didn't manage a single shot on goal that should have beaten an NHL goalie. and yet put 3 on the board.

i agree, so long as he doesn't start letting wristers from the blueline in again, the flyers are probably ok. "kinda bad" goaltending will likely be good enough to get past new jersey, and it's definitely a step up from the "really bad" that the flyers had through most of the season and half of the penguins' series. that doesn't mean i'm thrilled about it, though.

I don't agree that none of the three should have gone in. The first one was in no way on Bryz. Horrible decision by Read to drop the puck behind his back blind, in back of his own goal. Total brain-f*rt move, turnover, puck comes out front and is in the net before Bryz can move. The only goalie who stops that is a very lucky goalie. The 2nd goal, he made the initial save, but the puck dribbles lose and gets tapped in. Not great by Bryz but not awful either. He'd probably like to have it back. The third was soft, but again, bad play at the other end allows the Devils to get that breakout when one defenseman (Coburn) has already committed deep. So even there the blame is not all on Bryz.

We all know the guy was awful for much of the year. But I think he's being roasted now for past sins rather than genuinely poor play so far in the playoffs. I think it's fair to say that so far it has been a case of Bryz keeping the team in games (games 1 and 2 vs Pitt, today vs NJ) more than it has been a case of the rest of the team having to overcome poor goaltending.

I am sorry but I am going to lay a large chunk of the blame at the feet of the guy making 9 million plus a season with a save percentage under .884. Not for the first goal but he damn sure had enough of an opportunity for the 2nd and 3rd goals.....Almost stopping them does not count....... :wacko:

Yeah, gotta wait until you actually play the Rangers, if we play the Rangers. Don't put the cart before the hoarses

This series is a god damn exhibition.

If Bryz plays like he did in the first round against the Rangers, it'll be a quick series. Need a complete team game for the next round.

Almost stopping them does not count.......

Nope, "almost" isn't good enough. I was hesitant in the game chat today about blaming Bryzgalov for Zajac's goal (2nd goal), but I watched the replay a few times later. It was a dumb goal to give them, and that's what it was, a gift. Bryzgalov makes the stop and they score ....which of course makes no sense except in Bryzgalov's "universe" I guess. Lotta holes in the universe apparently...

Sykora's goal - the less said the better.

• I don't know what some guys are seeing, But Bryz looks just like Leighton in there. Sure he made a couple of good saves in the first period. Then lets in a questionable 2nd goal and a terrible 3rd. His puckhandling looks like he's never done it before...I mean you almost have to try to be that bad. Our scoring can probably get us through this series. But if this overpaid headcase can't get his act together and soon, it's going to be more of the same results in Philly...another very good team wasted on lousy goaltending.

Honestly, he looked average at best. And on Sykora's goal, he looked clueless. It is hard to know what to expect out of him every game. It almost feels like the team keeps winning in spite of him. But for how much longer can they d

o it?

I generally agree with @JackStraw that Bryz made some key saves in the 1st to keep it 1-0. Not spectacular, but solid. And, frankly, that's all I've wanted from him.

His puck handling, however, makes Biron look like a magician with the puck. Presumably, they can tell him to simply stop playing it. Cease and desist.

If he could somehow manage to put his stick on the ice in front of his five-hole, he'd save himself and all of us some grief.

• Like 2

If he could somehow manage to put his stick on the ice in front of his five-hole,

Oh sure, I guess...but now you're talking advanced mechanics of goaltending...

Yeah well...maybe toward the end of his contract he'll have the finer points of the position in his repertoire. Lucky for us we've got him for 8 more years...