How Long do they wait for Bryz in this series?

Guest AMMOnation

@AJgoal

I'm glad Bryz had a .964 save percentage or whatever it was against Colorado in March or October. What concerns me is we're almost into May, There are 8 teams left in the playoffs. And our goalie is ranked 18th!!! His stats are making Michael Leighton look very impressive.

Dude quote all the stats you want there is a team skating in front of him, HE kept THEM in IT in the first period...

...without that i believe the don't win despite what transpired the rest of the game.

Read made a boned headed blind drop pass(BEHIND HIS PHUCKIN NET!!!) that led to a score, yet he gets a pass.

Simmonds missed an EMPTY net but he not on blast.

Bryz let in that 3rd game tieing score!

No matter what things will never change in Philly it's always the goalie fault.

And i'm not saying he had his best all around game but neither did Giroux in my opinion.

Rust was apparent, lack of urgency early is OLD news, seems we just must accept this from this group and it may cost them verse a VERY GOOD team in the Rags....with world class goaltending!

Byrz must EARN his money first the Debbies first.

FC - he's also tied for 2nd in the most important category - wins. His win% is better than anyone not named Smith or Quick. He has to play better, as I've said over and over. But there are a lot of folks out there who seem to refuse to acknowledge that he has the capability. That's what I disagree with.

Amen...thank you man, that is all that matters because there are plenty of mistakes that must...MUST be cleaned up and that goes for EVERYONE!

They must clean it up if they are to face the Rags the next round because they are a VERY HARD team to come back against they just play such good TEAM defense.

So as they continue to FIGHT AND CLAW their way to a win i would love and 3-0 nothing shutout but there are a lot of rookies and young guys trying to come together...and i must say i'm impressed with their never say die attitudes..

...quickly forgetting the mistakes and trying to FIX things.

I don't care about the Jennings the Vezina the Calder yahdah yahdah...

...ALL THAT MATTERS IS A CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@OccamsRazor

We did mention Read looks lost earlier today. I said Voracek had a giveaway. Giroux may not have been great. The difference is, Giroux HAS been great almost every game. So has Voracek. So has most of the rest of the team. The weakest link so far in the playoffs has been the highest paid player on the team. He's let in some questionable goals almost every game. When you get paid what he is and you play as...mediocre (and that's being nice) you deserve criticism. He was fine the last game against the Pens and he got the accolades for it. But he needs to be much better than he has. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I see bad or mediocre goaltending out of him for the most part.

• Like 1

One more thing, re: Lundqvist vs. Bryzgalov. One has a better than .500 winning% in the playoffs and a cup ring, the other one doesn't. And the one that doesn't isn't playing in Philly.

Not that that really means anything.

Who has a Cup ring and why?

Who has a Cup ring and why?

Bryzgalov does, from when he went 3-1 in 4 starts with a .922 save percentage in the first round the year Anaheim won the cup. I was overseas at the time so couldn't follow the games. I honestly couldn't tell you anything about his play, or why he didn't finish out the playoffs, or why he was in to begin with. All I know is he played the first 4 games, went 3-1, and didn't play after game 4 until he came in in relief in a 5-0 loss to the Wings. That was a tongue in cheek statement.

But Bryzgalov is a lifetime 17-15 with a .909 in the playoffs, and Lundqvist is 20-23 with a .916. That's one fewer goal every nine games (assuming ~30 shots per game) or so. And that includes this year. Lundqvist has won a grand total of one more playoff series, in one more playoff appearance - though Bryzgalov was well on his way to another series win in 2007. But as they say when investing, prior results don't guarantee future results. Or something.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to jump in here and try to give the impression that I'm saying that Bryzgalov is going to win the Conn Smythe or even that he'll be (or has been) all that great. My original point was that I think he needs consistant work to be successful (This year was his lowest number of games started since his first season in Phoenix), such as we saw in March, and that the injury and the layoff didn't help with that coming into the POs. I hope that playing every other day against the Devils will get him back on the track we saw in March, or even to where he was during November - mid December. This is a mental issue that he needs to fix - but there's enough data that says his current level of play is fixable. What remains to be seen is if he has enough time.

My original point was that I think he needs consistant work to be successful (This year was his lowest number of games started since his first season in Phoenix), such as we saw in March, and that the injury and the layoff didn't help with that coming into the POs. I hope that playing every other day against the Devils will get him back on the track we saw in March, or even to where he was during November - mid December. This is a mental issue that he needs to fix - but there's enough data that says his current level of play is fixable. What remains to be seen is if he has enough time.

Thanks for the info. Regarding quote above, should we then be concerned IF the Flyers beat the Devils in a short series that Bryz will need a few games to get back in the groove again in the ECF, because if that's the case, the series could be all but over by then.

Edited by trevluk

Well, look at how the whole team came out after a long layoff in game 1. You don't want to keep living from behind in the POs. Against a team as defensively minded as the Rangers or Caps, it'll be harder to come back. I've always thought a long layoff against a team that's basically rolling from one series into another is dangerous, and with Bryzgalov's volatility it might be especially so.

Which one month stretch? It's funny how folks forget how well he played In November into mid-December.

@AJgoal

Well what I stated was that he has not shown the ability to steal games, not whether his numbers looked acceptable only in a certain month. I don't think individual game save percentages tell any kind of meaningful story. One of my favorite quotes goes something like "There are 3 kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics." We could probably choose selected samples of Michael Leighton's career and conclude he was a Vezina winner. Not saying numbers are meaningless, but they're not as useful when not combined with a more subjective evaluation of a players performance.

You're right he did play strong for the most part the first few weeks of the season. When was the 9-8 Winnipeg game? Because that's when it all went south, or into "the woods". And save for a game here or there he was lost until March. I mean like Amelia Aerhart lost, I don't even think that's disputable.

I don't think there's no hope of him ever playing like an elite goalie for this team. But I can't say that he's been great overall, because so far he just hasn't been. Maybe you can win a Cup with average to decent goaltending, but I know it sure must make it pretty damn difficult.

Unless Bryzgalov is injured, Bob will not start a game this season.

It doesn't matter what he's making, what his save percentage is now or four months ago, wheree he's ranked, whether he's adjuged to be an "elite" goaltender or how many times the wiseass on NBC calls him "Mr. Universe" - he's the Flyers starting goalie as decreed by, honestly, the only guy who cannot be overruled - Ed Snider.

Leighton... Don't get me started on Leighton...

Bryz flat out saved the team's bacon in the first period. The Flyers could easily have been down by four instead of one. I thought the only soft one was the third. And some poor decision making at the other end contributed to that as well. Bryz has not been a problem so far in these playoffs.

Great point Jack, but unfortunately the Bryz hate can't seem to be stopped.

Most are not happy unless they have something to constantly complain about........Bryz is just the low hanging fruit.

@OccamsRazor

We did mention Read looks lost earlier today. I said Voracek had a giveaway. Giroux may not have been great. The difference is, Giroux HAS been great almost every game. So has Voracek. So has most of the rest of the team. The weakest link so far in the playoffs has been the highest paid player on the team. He's let in some questionable goals almost every game. When you get paid what he is and you play as...mediocre (and that's being nice) you deserve criticism. He was fine the last game against the Pens and he got the accolades for it. But he needs to be much better than he has. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I see bad or mediocre goaltending out of him for the most part.

You complain more than a woman VC.

How about supporting the team and quit the relentless Bryz hatred? You look foolish with this **** every damn day.

You overlook his good play and only focus on the goals he lets up. You overlook poor play in front of him but credit his decent play when the D is playing well. You ignore the solid Game 6 play and first period of this series but want to dwell on one bad goal. You ignore the second half of the season when he was lights out when it counted or the fact he played injured in the first series with a bone chip in his foot, but dwell on games he let in goals THAT WE WON.

He's not Lundquist, get over it. You're constant negativity is too friggin much.

.Bryz is just the low hanging fruit.

if he stops the sykora shot, people wouldn't be complaining, yet that atrocity forced a game into OT where anything can happen, Bryz needs to make that save, period, bad breakdown and all that shot was weak and his reaction could have been timed with a sun dial. i'd like to agree with you greenman, but the guy's play so far has not made me feel confident what so ever.

if he stops the sykora shot, people wouldn't be complaining, yet that atrocity forced a game into OT where anything can happen, Bryz needs to make that save, period, bad breakdown and all that shot was weak and his reaction could have been timed with a sun dial. i'd like to agree with you greenman, but the guy's play so far has not made me feel confident what so ever.

If Read doesn't make that egregious turnover behind the net, the team's not down 1-0 early in the game and the Sykora goal doesn't matter.

You can't have that turnover in that circumstance in a playoff game. Period.

But we do. Mistakes happen. King Henrik just lost 3-2 on a glove save he "should have had." Marc-Andre Fleury (who, I'm reliably informed, played Junior) was torched. Roberto Luongo (who is making more than Bryz, for longer) was replaced. Pekka Rinne is down 0-2. Brian Elliott is down 0-2. Martin Brodeur had two pucks get by him in the same overtime.

There is legitimate criticim and constructive conversation about a player and his play. And then there is relentless harping, carping and whining coupled with hyperbolic statements ("had one good month") which are easily disproven.

Am I "confident" in Bryz? No. I hope that they block as many shots as possible and every time the Devils crossed the blue line in OT I was immediately pleading to "get it out of the zone."

But he's who we've got and who we're going to have. Like it or not.

Do I think they can win with Bryz? Absolutely.

If Read doesn't make that egregious turnover behind the net, the team's not down 1-0 early in the game and the Sykora goal doesn't matter.

yes that was el boneheado grande !

ftr i haven't been in the the string the goalie from rafters and burn him in effigy camp. i was dismayed by that goal though as i thought it was a potential momentum killer at the time.

yes that was el boneheado grande !

ftr i haven't been in the the string the goalie from rafters and burn him in effigy camp. i was dismayed by that goal though as i thought it was a potential momentum killer at the time.

No, not you - and I probably should have made that clear.

The Sykora goal is really the only one I thought he "should have had". But, for me, the Read giveaway is bigger in the context of the game. Yes, it was good to be out of the first just down 1-0 given the way they were playing - but imagine the difference if the Devils had shot their wad in the first and came away with nothing?

Which, as long as we're speculating, was just as possible :-)

You overlook his good play and only focus on the goals he lets up. You overlook poor play in front of him but credit his decent play when the D is playing well. You ignore the solid Game 6 play and first period of this series but want to dwell on one bad goal. You ignore the second half of the season when he was lights out when it counted or the fact he played injured in the first series with a bone chip in his foot, but dwell on games he let in goals THAT WE WON.

The problem is if his goal tending does not improve, the Flyers will eventually get roasted by his lackluster play and make no bones about it, it has been horrible. I want so bad for the Flyers to win the cup so the few people on here that worship Bryz can say "I told you so". I will gladly eat that crow.......and if by some miracle they do, I will be happy to have the only goalie with a ring who had the WORST save percentage EVER.

Great point Jack, but unfortunately the Bryz hate can't seem to be stopped.

Most are not happy unless they have something to constantly complain about........Bryz is just the low hanging fruit.

So what, anybody that doesn't think he's Jacque ******* Plante is just looking for something to complain about? WTF dude

You complain more than a woman VC.

How about supporting the team and quit the relentless Bryz hatred? You look foolish with this **** every damn day.

He's not Lundquist, get over it. You're constant negativity is too friggin much.

Sorry Greenmam, Bryz was brought in here for one reason...to improve the goaltending. Has he done that? He's the worst goalie left in the playoffs. He was the 2nd worst goalie IN the playoffs. He played well in game 6 of the Pens series, and I gave him credit for that. But he's paid to play that way for the most part...not just one game. I agree with rad, Reads miscue was huge. But Read is a rookie who also isn't making TEN MILLION this year to improve a huge component of this team which Bryz has miraculously made worse. If he continues to play average to lousy, I,among others, will continue to not heap false praise on him. I support the team. But I'm not going to pretend Bryzgalov has been anything other than the same ol' lousy goaltending . If I did my job the way he's done his, I WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB!

If you don't want to read my posts...don't.

He's not Lundquist

He's not even Biron, never mind Hank. Hell, he's not even Pokey Reddick! And that, my friend, is the whole point (I think).

Of course, I never read @flyercanuck's dumb posts anway, so I guess I don't see it from your perspective.

Go Flyers!

Sorry Greenmam, Bryz was brought in here for one reason...to improve the goaltending. Has he done that? He's the worst goalie left in the playoffs. He was the 2nd worst goalie IN the playoffs. He played well in game 6 of the Pens series, and I gave him credit for that. But he's paid to play that way for the most part...not just one game. I agree with rad, Reads miscue was huge. But Read is a rookie who also isn't making TEN MILLION this year to improve a huge component of this team which Bryz has miraculously made worse. If he continues to play average to lousy, I,among others, will continue to not heap false praise on him. I support the team. But I'm not going to pretend Bryzgalov has been anything other than the same ol' lousy goaltending . If I did my job the way he's done his, I WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB!

If you don't want to read my posts...don't.

He's "the worst goalie in the playoffs"?

Well, I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the two that are down 0-2 but are obviously worlds better than the guy who's tied for second overall in wins.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the one that also won a Cup before and got torched in the first round, who actually has worse stats than Bryz.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the one that just gave up two overtime goals in the same period.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the rookie.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the one that just gave up the goal that turned "home ice" to his 7th-seeded opponents. (that would be the Vezina/Hart candidate that was taken to seven games by the 8 seed)

And, in the end, I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" because there ain't no one else who's gonna do the job.

If your glass is half empty, add ice. It's hockey!

He's not even Biron, never mind Hank. Hell, he's not even Pokey Reddick! And that, my friend, is the whole point (I think).

Of course, I never read @flyercanuck's dumb posts anway, so I guess I don't see it from your perspective.

Go Flyers!

I've tried to see whatever good the few are seeing in this clowns game. I can't. Sometimes he makes saves any goalie in the league should make. Once in a blue moon he makes a great save. But more often, he lets in one or two or three bad goals.

He's "the worst goalie in the playoffs"?

Well, I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the two that are down 0-2 but are obviously worlds better than the guy who's tied for second overall in wins.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the one that also won a Cup before and got torched in the first round, who actually has worse stats than Bryz.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the one that just gave up two overtime goals in the same period.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the rookie.

I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" over the one that just gave up the goal that turned "home ice" to his 7th-seeded opponents. (that would be the Vezina/Hart candidate that was taken to seven games by the 8 seed)

And, in the end, I'll take the "worst goalie in the playoffs" because there ain't no one else who's gonna do the job.

If your glass is half empty, add ice. It's hockey!

Using your argument, Radulov is better than Crosby and Malkin and Nash.