How Long do they wait for Bryz in this series?

Guest AMMOnation

Using your argument, Radulov is better than Crosby and Malkin and Nash.

I never made that argument. Nice spin, though. I never called Bryz anything but "the worst goalie in the league" in that post.

My "argument" is that I'll take Bryzgalov because there ain't no one else who's gonna do the job no matter how much wailing and gnashing of teeth gets done around here. And that the "worst goalie in the playoffs" is in the second round while "better" goalies are sitting at home.

I've been clear about Bryzgalov for quite a while. But I'm not going to pretend that the second half of the season didn't happen or that bad goals don't happen to every goalie, even Vezina/Hart finalists, even in the playoffs, even at home.

Be as snarky as you like about Bryz. Keep throwing out stats until they don't suit your argument any more (as happened in the regular season - Bryz won't be "18th" in the playoffs forever (and you're counting a goalie "ahead" of him that played all of ONE MINUTE in the playoffs).

Just don't expect to change anyone's mind or expect that Leighton or Bobrovsky would change a bloody thing.

And don't expect anyone but Bryzgalov, barring injury, to start every game to finish this season and to start 60 next.

Unless you like disappointment :-)

I never made that argument. Nice spin, though. I never called Bryz anything but "the worst goalie in the league" in that post.

My "argument" is that I'll take Bryzgalov because there ain't no one else who's gonna do the job no matter how much wailing and gnashing of teeth gets done around here. And that the "worst goalie in the playoffs" is in the second round while "better" goalies are sitting at home.

I've been clear about Bryzgalov for quite a while. But I'm not going to pretend that the second half of the season didn't happen or that bad goals don't happen to every goalie, even Vezina/Hart finalists, even in the playoffs, even at home.

Be as snarky as you like about Bryz. Keep throwing out stats until they don't suit your argument any more (as happened in the regular season - Bryz won't be "18th" in the playoffs forever (and you're counting a goalie "ahead" of him that played all of ONE MINUTE in the playoffs).

Just don't expect to change anyone's mind or expect that Leighton or Bobrovsky would change a bloody thing.

And don't expect anyone but Bryzgalov, barring injury, to start every game to finish this season and to start 60 next.

Unless you like disappointment :-)

I don't expect Bobrovsky to play. And I sure don't want to see Leighton. What I'd like to see is our goalie look like he's played NHL hockey for more than ONE entire game. If the guy does that, this team has a chance at a cup. So far, it looks more like he'd rather be having halibut dinner at Applebees. And yes that was a Freudian slip. Or not.

• Like 1

@radoran - so what you're saying is that we're screwed and there's nothing we can do or say about it?

Depressing

I'm saying they're going to win anyway.

I know, I know, optimism isn't encouarged 'round these parts.

I don't expect Bobrovsky to play. And I sure don't want to see Leighton. What I'd like to see is our goalie look like he's played NHL hockey for more than ONE entire game. If the guy does that, this team has a chance at a cup. So far, it looks more like he'd rather be having halibut dinner at Applebees. And yes that was a Freudian slip. Or not.

He's having extra on the halibut and the team is still in a good position to win the Cup.

In fact, who's in a better position? Phoenix? LA?

Not too far from "worst goalie in the playoffs" to "worst multiple Cup winning goalie" at this point!

Go Flyers! :-)

@radoran

I'm hardly the harbinger of doom on this board, but anyway, here's a point, since you brought up PHX and LA: LA will destroy us if we (and they) make it to the finals, because of Quick vs Bryz. You can take that one to the bank.

Sorry Greenmam, Bryz was brought in here for one reason...to improve the goaltending. Has he done that? He's the worst goalie left in the playoffs. He was the 2nd worst goalie IN the playoffs. He played well in game 6 of the Pens series, and I gave him credit for that. But he's paid to play that way for the most part...not just one game. I agree with rad, Reads miscue was huge. But Read is a rookie who also isn't making TEN MILLION this year to improve a huge component of this team which Bryz has miraculously made worse. If he continues to play average to lousy, I,among others, will continue to not heap false praise on him. I support the team. But I'm not going to pretend Bryzgalov has been anything other than the same ol' lousy goaltending . If I did my job the way he's done his, I WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB!

If you don't want to read my posts...don't.

You VC?

@Podein25

If I see Carter skate the Cup before the Flyers, whether this season or anytime in the next 10 seasons, I may stop watching hockey. Seriously. That is how much I loathe that baby lotion tanned, 4 dollar bleach blond bastard. BTW..I hate him. Hated him with the Flyers, hate him for pouting his way out of Columbus, and hate watching him play now.

Yes, I hate him. Any questions.

• Like 1

@radoran

I'm hardly the harbinger of doom on this board, but anyway, here's a point, since you brought up PHX and LA: LA will destroy us if we (and they) make it to the finals, because of Quick vs Bryz. You can take that one to the bank.

I'll take that shot.

I'm not saying Bryzgalov is the Second Coming of Tretiak. Or even Myshkin ;-)

But I do put him closer on the scale to Jacques Plante than I do to Trevor Kidd.

Now, that's one HUGE scale and there are big gaps on either side of Bryz but I do think Bryz has what it takes to get this team to 16 wins. Whether he shows it now is the big question.

And, yes, I think that means they can beat LA.

But, please - please please please PLEASE - PLEASE don't let that happen...

@DaGreatGazoo - you and me both brother. My fondest memory of seeing the only game I ever saw in Philly (Nov 2006) was the guy behind me with the joisey accent yelling obscenities at Carter while his 13 year old daughter grimaced. Good times.

@flyercanuck

I would love to surf, but I don't think that's where you go for surf here. The other way I think - East? I dunno. Maybe I should take it up. I have the right personality for surfing, after all.

Edited by Podein25

Bryz against Lundqvist, Bryz against Quick? Right now it's Bryz and Brodeur and all we've done is held home ice in one game, in overtime, in round two. I see the short and dirty history of the Soviet Union in our Togliatti goalkeep, from an iron curtain to glasnost, even a chernobyl game. It's a long way to the top.

Posted · Hidden by sarsippius, May 1, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by sarsippius, May 1, 2012 - No reason given

@Podein25

That story brought a tear to my eye, you must come help us rip underperforming hometown athletes more often....you would have loved Donovan McNabb

He's "the worst goalie in the playoffs"?

Well, here are the goalies who are still playing:

Bryzgalov

Holtby

Lundqvist

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Smith

Ellis

When taking Ellis out of this bunch, because is basically subbing for Halak, who *is* worse? Maybe Bryz holds a tie with Brodeur, but Brodeur is a 40-year old who *did* win 3 cups... Know what I mean?

Well, here are the goalies who are still playing:

Bryzgalov

Holtby

Lundqvist

Brodeur

Rinne

Quick

Smith

Ellis

When taking Ellis out of this bunch, because is basically subbing for Halak, who *is* worse? Maybe Bryz holds a tie with Brodeur, but Brodeur is a 40-year old who *did* win 3 cups... Know what I mean?

Yes, now let's look at the rest of the post shall we - talking about where all of these goalie are in the playoffs, this year, today?

Bryzgalov - second in the league in postseason wins, has given up some "bad" goals

Holtby - rookie

Lundqvist - taken to seven games by the 8 seed, gave up the 3-2 goal to lose home ice to the 7 seed

Brodeur - taken to seven games by Florida, saw not one, but two pucks get by him in overtime of Game One

Rinne - Losing 0-2

Quick - the best of the bunch so far

Smith - can't argue with 2-0 (still not convinced about Phoenix)

Elliott (lead the league in GAA and SV% this year - 36 starts) - Losing 0-2

That's the season GAA/SV% leader and a Vezina finalist both down 0-2 and the Vezina/Hart finalist having trouble with the 7/8 seeds.

Out of that, I'll take five wins and go from there, thank you. Yes. (insert "yes, of course Bryz needs to play better" here)

11 to go.

Drop the puck.